Tebow Commercial Airing During Super Bowl

I posted this elsewhere, but no one seems to have considered this....

Some guy making a commercial concerning a divisive issue to debut during the Super Bowl is likely to have plans for more of these kinds of displays in the future. That would certainly be a distraction that no team would like.

It would be even worse if he isn't a success on the field.

And even worse if they wasted a high draft pick, and 3 or 4 seasons developing him in vain.

And worse if he is being paid Jamarcus Russell money.

And even worse if he was playing for a team that hasn't been to the playoffs ten years, and that has the black cloud of a relocation hanging over it.

And even worserer if the the city is struggling through terrible economic times.

And even more worserer...... (Have I left anything out?)

I'm really just here to discuss how Tebow's actions might affect the Bills were they to draft him with their 1st round pick. Not abortion.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate these religious zealots. I want to puke everytime they start talking. That is the one benefit to not picking up Frazier, he probably would have been thanking Jesus at every turn just like his mentor. God doesn't invest in the outcome of a game, but nutjobs like TeBow want to praise Jesus at every opportunity. :unsure:

Leave the fairytales to the confines of 4 walls and a roof.

Just HAD to ruin the thread, didn't ya? :unsure:

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/01/1...cus-to-tebow%2F

I hope this doesn't turn into a discussion about whether abortion is right or wrong. But is it appropriate that Tebow participate in these ads? What do you think?

It is his right, but I get your point - perhaps the right question is - is it smart for him to do the ad? As I understand him, his Religious conviction is pretty strong, so I am sure there was no question with him about doing the ad. If he pulls a Pat Robertson and starts saying the Hatians deserve the suffering they are going through because they made a deal with the Devil...well, I would be concerned about his frame of mind...

He has the right to do what he's doing. And I have the right to turn the channel. And I will.

I hope we don't take him as QB, because his idiocy will annoy the piss out of me.

Did Frank Reich's "idiocy" annoy the piss out of you? They are similar men - you should only care about what they do between the 120 yards we care about....

I hate these religious zealots. I want to puke everytime they start talking.

Your insulting other people's faith is every bit as obnoxious as the proselytizing you despise.

"If you hate something, don't you do it too."

Your insulting other people's faith is every bit as obnoxious as the proselytizing you despise.

"If you hate something, don't you do it too."

Difference is, I don't show up in your living room on your big screen, preaching my views to YOU after watching a perfectly good sporting event.

It is refreshing to NOT hear an athlete "praise Jesus" at every turn, nowadays.

Difference is, I don't show up in your living room on your big screen, preaching my views to YOU

No, instead you're on my computer monitor in my library preaching your views.

And also on the monitors of hundreds of people who find your views personally offensive.

And you weren't invited into any of those people's homes to preach your views.

You are no different than Tim Tebow.

No, instead you're on my computer monitor in my library preaching your views.

And also on the monitors of hundreds of people who find your views personally offensive.

And you weren't invited into any of those people's homes to preach your views.

You are no different than Tim Tebow.

Fair air time, I'd say.

For the record, you have no idea what "my views" are.

You hate obnoxious zealots.

Nope, love to hate them.

You are what you hate.

Nope, I'm actually "indifferent" until they step on my toes first, by bringing it into the conversation, unsolicited as it were.

Putting aside the irony of the fact that the ad touts his mother's choice, there's no chance in hell that CBS runs this ad during the Super Bowl

no irony involved ... one of the "catch phrases" of the pro-Life movement is "Choose Life" ... we DO have a choice -- either life or death.

Nope, I'm actually "indifferent" until they step on my toes first, by bringing it into the conversation, unsolicited as it were.

So who exactly in this thread stepped on your toes to such a degree that you felt the need to insult hundreds of readers by calling them a bunch of nutjobs whose entire belief system is a puke-inducing fairy tale?

You are what you hate.

I hate these religious zealots. I want to puke everytime they start talking. That is the one benefit to not picking up Frazier, he probably would have been thanking Jesus at every turn just like his mentor. God doesn't invest in the outcome of a game, but nutjobs like TeBow want to praise Jesus at every opportunity. :thumbsup:

Then you can leave your fairy tale within your 4 walls and your roof ... no need for a double standard. Sure, I'll admit that I'll never prove the existence of God or His Son to you ... are you willing to admit that it is impossible to disprove His existence (since that would seem to be your basis for calling it a fairy tale)?

So who exactly in this thread stepped on your toes to such a degree that you felt the need to insult hundreds of readers by calling them a bunch of nutjobs whose entire belief system is a puke-inducing fairy tale?

You are what you hate.

You're right Simon, I am what I hate, at least in this instance. But I will tell you this: I live in the heart of the Bible belt and have been to church a great deal of my life, nobody understands the Christian faith better than me, nobody. I don't hate God, I hate organized religion and the way it tears the world apart. But hey, as a famous athlete, I would be crucified (pardon the pun), if I stated my views on national TV.............it is the Christian equivalent of playing the "race card". They can say what they want with impunity, whereas a view like mine would be vilified.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/01/1...cus-to-tebow%2F

I hope this doesn't turn into a discussion about whether abortion is right or wrong. But is it appropriate that Tebow participate in these ads? What do you think?

He's a free man to do what he wants. I admire celebs who use their notoriety for things they feel are positive. I disagree with him but I respect him.

Putting aside the irony of the fact that the ad touts his mother's choice, there's no chance in hell that CBS runs this ad during the Super Bowl

If they refuse to run it freedom of speech takes a hit. As long as the ad isn't above a PG rating they should run all ads. JMO

The network should run it between ads for Victoria's Secret and GoDaddy.com.

:lol:

or in between the Hefty Cinch Sack and Dyson Vacuum commercials :oops:

:lol:

I hate these religious zealots. I want to puke everytime they start talking. That is the one benefit to not picking up Frazier, he probably would have been thanking Jesus at every turn just like his mentor. God doesn't invest in the outcome of a game, but nutjobs like TeBow want to praise Jesus at every opportunity. :thumbsup:

I'm not fond of them either but they have the right to say what they want. Logical or illogical. JMO

You're right Simon, I am what I hate, at least in this instance. But I will tell you this: I live in the heart of the Bible belt and have been to church a great deal of my life, nobody understands the Christian faith better than me, nobody. I don't hate God, I hate organized religion and the way it tears the world apart. But hey, as a famous athlete, I would be crucified (pardon the pun), if I stated my views on national TV.............it is the Christian equivalent of playing the "race card". They can say what they want with impunity, whereas a view like mine would be vilified.

Frankly, I agree with you. But insulting people's beliefs systems accomplishes nothing more than entrench them and justify their misguided us vs the world dogma.

I think the world is slowly (read: glacially) becoming more open-minded and while it won't be any time soon I think a day will come when an individual can make such a statement w/o being vilified. In the mean time I think we're best off to stay cool, do the right thing and not toss them any billy clubs they can whack us over the head with.

You're right Simon, I am what I hate, at least in this instance. But I will tell you this: I live in the heart of the Bible belt and have been to church a great deal of my life, nobody understands the Christian faith better than me, nobody. I don't hate God, I hate organized religion and the way it tears the world apart. But hey, as a famous athlete, I would be crucified (pardon the pun), if I stated my views on national TV.............it is the Christian equivalent of playing the "race card". They can say what they want without impunity, whereas a view like mine would be vilified.

and you say that because you're not vilifying him? Are you just treating him with the words that you would expect be thrown your way? I don't disagree that organized religion has done damage through the years ... but here you are, tearing apart a man for expressing what is a very personal relationship in his life. He's not holding up a particular church or denomination (i.e., organized religion). He's stating his testimony ... what he has experienced in & through his life. Why are you arguing that?

You are entiteled to your views. Now its my turn. Church is of men. Christ has to be in your heart or going to church is a meaningless exercise. Once Christ is in your heart you want to go to church to become more like him and support and grow with your brothers and sisters in Christ.

All that aside, I prefer to trade for Mr Vick and draft all O and D linemen.