Should Gailey retain Van Pelt

RMBills

No - AVP has not earned his stripes in the role and even though the circumstances were rough he did nothing to impress last year.

Agreed. He also did nothing to deserve the promotion in the first place. Before this year he has never been a OC at any level and the Bills ran the most simple, vanilla offense ever last year. Keeping AVP would be a terrible idea.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep AVP. Hmmm. Let's start with the fact that NO ONE ELSE HAS HIRED HIM despite his being on the market for weeks. He did a great job as qb coach for TE and Fitz? I don't think so. He didn't show a lot of imagination with our offense throughout the year.

Keep AVP...hell...why don't we just bring back DJ?

Is that the case? I thought so too, but, during last weeks playoff game, there was a shot of Tom Moore, he was identified as the Colts offensive coordinator, and, the announcer (already forgot who that was...losing my mind) said "Tom Moore, the only offensive coordinator Payton Manning has ever known at the NFL level." No mention of Frank Reich.

Heh. This week's release does list Moore as something called a "senior offensive coordinator," and Reich as the QB coach. Goes back to the whole pension mess, when they were thinking Moore was going to be forced to retire. I thought they settled it by giving him a consultant's title instead; my bad.

(Because of that deal, Moore's not even listed with the other coaches in the media guide....)

No - AVP has not earned his stripes in the role and even though the circumstances were rough he did nothing to impress last year.

Agreed...

With the way The Bills QB's have looked during the time AVP has been here I think the real question is why in the world would ANY Bills Fan want him back in ANY capacity?...I know Alex is a good guy, loyal local and all...But seriously Folks... :blink:

Guest dog14787
Given Chan Gailey has stated he was going to be the OC as well as head coach, should he bring back AVP as offensive assistant/QB coach? I think Alex was tossed into a tough situation after Turk was fired and working for Jauron couldn't have been easy. He seemed to do better under Fewell. Bringing him back to work under Gailey, especially given his knowlege of the personell could free Gailey up to focus on getting a qualified DC.

Thoughts?

I think its a great idea bringing AVP back in myself personally.

AVP is future OC material in my opinion.

Terrible idea unless he wants a guy to just not get in the way...AVP was terrible this year, and I am not just referring to the way the offense played as a lot of that was very poor execution from the O Line and QB.

AVP was the least creative OC I have ever seen, and NO I am not referring to overly creative plays. I am referring directly to the point that he has no idea how to adjust an offense to counter the D being thrown at him and was incredibly poor at figuring out how to involve the WR's.

So many games could have gone differently if he would have just made adjustments, insereted slants, crossing routes, etc to help our QB's get them more involved. I swear it was mid season before we even saw a slant and that resulted in a long TD to Evans.

Yes, he was handicapped with poor QB play, but the offesne was the most predictable in the NFL, made very very few adjustments in game, and was terrible at finding ways to involve our weapons like Evans, TO, and even Nelson underneath and over the middle.

Add in to the mix that Trent has been terrible and AVP has been his mentor as a QB coach and OC...so he has a track record of really no success as a QB coach or OC...

NO THANKS...

Guest dog14787
Terrible idea unless he wants a guy to just not get in the way...AVP was terrible this year, and I am not just referring to the way the offense played as a lot of that was very poor execution from the O Line and QB.

AVP was the least creative OC I have ever seen, and NO I am not referring to overly creative plays. I am referring directly to the point that he has no idea how to adjust an offense to counter the D being thrown at him and was incredibly poor at figuring out how to involve the WR's.

So many games could have gone differently if he would have just made adjustments, insereted slants, crossing routes, etc to help our QB's get them more involved. I swear it was mid season before we even saw a slant and that resulted in a long TD to Evans.

Yes, he was handicapped with poor QB play, but the offesne was the most predictable in the NFL, made very very few adjustments in game, and was terrible at finding ways to involve our weapons like Evans, TO, and even Nelson underneath and over the middle.

Add in to the mix that Trent has been terrible and AVP has been his mentor as a QB coach and OC...so he has a track record of really no success as a QB coach or OC...

NO THANKS...

We have to remember though, this was not AVP's offense. Sure he may have tweaked it a little, but it doesn't change the fact he was handed the acting OC position a week before the regular season started and given an offense to operate which had just been toned down and muzzled by HC, DJ.

I have to agree with you however on how poorly AVP has been in reference to working with the QB's, but he never was a great QB to begin with so somehow that doesn't surprise me.

We have to remember though, this was not AVP's offense. Sure he may have tweaked it a little, but it doesn't change the fact he was handed the acting OC position a week before the regular season started and given an offense to operate which had just been toned down and muzzled by HC, DJ.

I have to agree with you however on how poorly AVP has been in reference to working with the QB's, but he never was a great QB to begin with so somehow that doesn't surprise me.

I will give you that it wasnt his offense entirely, but that still doesnt change the clear lack of in game adjustments, incredibly predictable play calling, and the lack of WR involvement most of the year.

That with the QB track record just seems to be a nail in the coffin IMO. When you ask the question what success has he had at any position coaching or playing, the answer is honestly none...so what warrants him keeping his job is my question?

I will give you that it wasnt his offense entirely, but that still doesnt change the clear lack of in game adjustments, incredibly predictable play calling, and the lack of WR involvement most of the year.

That with the QB track record just seems to be a nail in the coffin IMO. When you ask the question what success has he had at any position coaching or playing, the answer is honestly none...so what warrants him keeping his job is my question?

How many years has Alex coached Gailey's system?

Next question.

Guest dog14787

When you look at it that way, its hard to argue.

That should be the most damning thing on his resume with the Bills. If Gailey is going to be calling the plays, as he indicated in his pc, what is Van Pelt going to do? As much as I really like the guy, and wished it had worked out better for him (god, how many times have we said that the last few years) Van Pelt would just be a holdover from a period of incredibly inept QB and offensive play. Gailey's reputation suggests that his strength is making the most of the talent he has on his roster, good or bad. Van Pelt showed little of that ability, and his QB's (Edwards, Losman in particular) either regressed or showed little improvement during his tenure. If he was supposed to be the "voice in the QB's head", it seems they need a new voice.

Given Chan Gailey has stated he was going to be the OC as well as head coach, should he bring back AVP as offensive assistant/QB coach? I think Alex was tossed into a tough situation after Turk was fired and working for Jauron couldn't have been easy. He seemed to do better under Fewell. Bringing him back to work under Gailey, especially given his knowlege of the personell could free Gailey up to focus on getting a qualified DC.

Thoughts?

No. AVP needs to be on the same train as the rest.

Thoughts?

In a word, NO.

Thoughts?

No...we need to clean house with regards to the old coaching staff.