Marty Schottenheimer

Wing Man

Weak. Comparing 200-126 given all the ups and downs of team talent over time with 18-14 is sophistry.

Yeah. Especially since Gailey didn't have anyone good on his Cowboys team...I mean Troy Aikman sucked. Emmitt Smith wasn't any good either. Neither was Michael Irvin

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am glad that ralph is thinking for himself and not listening to fans....ralph has forgotten more about football than any of us will ever know, collectively...if he was uncomfortable with Schottenheimer, then that is good enough for me....its been 3 years since he was a coach anywhere...has to be a reason for that....

By that (ill)logic, Gailey hasn't sniffed a NFL coaching gig in over 10 years. If I'm Ralph and every choice that I've made in the last ten years has been disastrous, I go with the complete opposite of what my intuition tells me to do. Kinda like Castanza when he started where velvet jumpsuits.

This just can't be true.

I don't post much, there is enough blaming and such going on, but dammit- after 10 years of shame and dysfunction wouldn't Martyball be the PERFECT solution?

We know he can coach. We know he can fix franchises. We assume Ralph is a (the?) primary reason for the franchise failures but this is just too much if he blocked this hire.

OK, fair enough but the best i can do is combine his head coaching record for both college and pro....82-56-0...that bumps him up to 59.4% winning percentage as head coach....again, i know pro v. college is apples to oranges

Marty Schottenheimers career coaching record which is completely Professional Football is 205-139-1....59.4%

Weak. Comparing 200-126 given all the ups and downs of team talent over time with 18-14 is sophistry.

So pretend that Marty is coming in as the next HC. Do you feel good about that hire? Or only slightly better than with Gailey? I'm not sure he's that much of an upgrade over Gailey. He has a winning record, but that was accumulated mostly in the 80's and 90's. He's also another retread who runs a boring offense.

You've just married a slightly ugly woman (or man). Would you have sex with a different ugly woman (or man) just because she wanted to? Wait, don't answer that...

So Schotty wanted to get back to coaching and didn't get a shot in Buffalo. Big deal.

The Jets run a boring offense, they play this weekend in the AFC title game.

Pitts won two SBs this decade with a boring offense.

Parcells won 2 SBs with a boring offense.

I hope we have a boring offense that controls the line of scrimmage and wins games.

Marty is like the girl who keeps turning you down when you ask her out, then gets PO'd when she sees you with another woman. All Marty had to do was say "I'm interested" when the Bills coaching job opened. Instead he insisted he was through coaching. WTF is his game?

The Jets run a boring offense, they play this weekend in the AFC title game.

Pitts won two SBs this decade with a boring offense.

Parcells won 2 SBs with a boring offense.

I hope we have a boring offense that controls the line of scrimmage and wins games.

Marty lost 14-3 at home with a boring offense.

you do realize that marty shottenheimer's 'mediocre' winning percentage is 61.1% as compared to Chan Gaileys 'abysmal' 56.3%...that equates to Marty winning 3/4 of a game per season more..... :doh: completely unacceptable :lol:

Pooj come on. Achieving a 61% winning percentage over 327 games is a little different than 56% over 32. The numbers are not even comparable. Since you seem to be OK with everything that has happened the last 24 hours, I will just say that the reason I am so upset by this latest turn of events is that Marty was exactly what the TEAM said they were looking for in a coach. Hell, I don't even like Marty (the whole can't win in the playoffs thing) but compared to what we have had the last 10 years, and what we have now going forward, he is BY FAR the better choice, and it isn't close. And Ralph screwed it up again by overruling those who know more than he does. Just unbelievable.

No it's not... I cannot reveal my source, but I have a very good friend @ the NFL and he say's the reason Schotty Sr. was let go in San Diego is because he was starting to become "increasingly confused" on the sidelines.

Well, Buddy Nix was there and it sounds like he disagrees.

Now we know why Brian declined the interview.

THIS is something to be legitimately pissed about.

I wish this had never been reported...this is the most disappointed I've been in a very long time. I wanted Marty above all the other big names that were speculated about. I can't believe that he was there for the taking and Ralph put the kabosh on it....unreal.

If this report is true, and I trust Tim Graham, then there is no hope anymore. RW is not just part of the process in selecting any front office person, he is the process. He's deciding, and for all those mindless posters who think RW knows football, try again.

Given RW's history, is it really surprising to think the owner was concerned with Schottenheimer threatening his power base?

Explain to me like I'm a four-year-old how Gailey is better than Schottenheimer.

Mr. Wilson is uncomfortable. Can someone please change his diaper so we can go back to being an NFL team?

I'm not saying that it's better. I'm saying that what comes to mind with Schottemheimer is the colossal playoff collapses with the Browns, Chiefs, and Chargers. Fine, Buffalo hasn't even made the playoffs in 10 years, but just making the playoffs isn't the goal. Failing on the biggest stage cost him his job. Deservedly so.

Would people have really been satisfied if Marty were introduced as head coach today? If so, then I'm in the minority then. But he has the same number of championships as Gailey, with 19 more years of experience.