Extreme Makeover Home Edition - Buffalo on next Sunday

Just Jack

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually not crazy about this show in general, and I know that Buffalo's past has warranted some cynicism, but it's kind of sad to see it so present in this thread. Some good kids are going to get to go to college and a nice family was the center of a whole neighborhood effort that really brought out the best in a lot of people. I guarantee that most of the volunteers did not appear on TV, and it could actually be possible that people just wanted to be part of something larger than themselves. Buffalo could use more of that, and we can at least wait to see if these people make good on their promise to pay their good fortune forward.

You know... I don't want to sound like a prick but I really can't stand this show.

I've only seen bits and pieces of it in addition to the commercials but isn't this the show where they help out less-fortunate people by tearing down their crappy uncared for homes and replace them McMansions?

Instead of spending all this bling on a single house, don't you think it would be better served to help out numerous needy families by restoring (or rebuilding) multiple houses? Heck, why not teach these people how to do the DIY projects themselves?? Self sufficiency, Norm Abrams style.

Note: Before you blast me for thinking I'm uncaring, it should be noted that I'm going to Samoa in a few months to rebuild villages that were destroyed by last Octobers Tsunami.

I hear you but hopefully the show has inspired people to do some good as a volunteer (as you are doing). That may be the best outcome from the show. The people being helped in the show are in over their heads. As last night's show revealed the house that was torn down was not a "fixer upper." It was a structure that was unsafe and not sound.

I was simply happy that Buffalo was shown in a positive light for a change. Good for all who made the show possible and good for Buffalo.

Anyone wanna place the over/under date on when the house gets foreclosed on because now that it's worth easily 100 times what it was, the property taxes will be unmanageable?

on the cynical side......i'm wondering how long before the house gets robbed.

on the cynical side......i'm wondering how long before the house gets robbed.

Well, they did install a security system, and I think that on the other hand, instilling a lot of pride in the neighborhood will do a lot to help people be vigilant on behalf of one another. Again, not a fan of the show, but I was pleased to see their approach to this one, where it was really about helping the whole neighborhood -- and the neighborhood helping itself.

On the other hand, there's so much bad news economically in Buffalo on a daily basis (today's news was the appraisal of the Statler Towers at negative $12 million and the struggles of the Flying Bison Brewing Company for instance) that those who hope for a renaissance for our city are probably being overly optimistic at best.

For many years I stayed in Buffalo hoping for an economic turnaround. After 35 years of living in my hometown I left in 2002 and am still waiting for that economic turnaround. I just couldn't wait any longer.

Looks like they are going to be bought by Saranac

For many years I stayed in Buffalo hoping for an economic turnaround. After 35 years of living in my hometown I left in 2002 and am still waiting for that economic turnaround. I just couldn't wait any longer.

Until NYS gets a clue about tax policy and realizes that economic turnarounds are tied to being business friendly there will not be a significant change. Buffalo will never return to its heyday but it could be a solid small to midsized city.

Most people don't realize that in many of these cases the people still end up with a mortgage. I don't watch this show very often because I can't stand Ty Pennington's screaming, but I recall that a family in TX lost their house because they didn't make the mortgage and I have seen an episode or two where the construction company took up a collection to pay the mortgage.

Most people don't realize that in many of these cases the people still end up with a mortgage. I don't watch this show very often because I can't stand Ty Pennington's screaming, but I recall that a family in TX lost their house because they didn't make the mortgage and I have seen an episode or two where the construction company took up a collection to pay the mortgage.

The change in property taxes alone is likely to push the woman out of her house. If she only owed roughly $12K though how much could her mortgage payment be?

As I recall, the people in TX took out a mortgage to finance a business venture that failed. I can't stand the show either, but you can hardly blame them for people being stupid well after the show's aired.

As I recall, the people in TX took out a mortgage to finance a business venture that failed. I can't stand the show either, but you can hardly blame them for people being stupid well after the show's aired.

I'm not blaming the show, merely pointing out that while it may appear that these people are given palatial mansions free and clear that isn't always the case.

I looked into the criteria a couple of years ago, thinking I knew someone who might qualify. However after watching a couple of episodes I realized that in order to get their attention I'd have to push this guy off an overpass during rush hour, run over his dog, poison his cat and burn down his workplace. So figured WTF ... call an exterminator and replace the toilet seat and we'll call it even. :death:

They are showing the city in a great light. Ethnically diverse neighborhood all helping each other. The one host is wearing a parka when it's 60. Cali people :sick:

PTR

Hey man, you skin thins when you move out here lol When it dips into the 50's here in Santa Monica, you can smell wood burning in fireplaces :death:

Seriously, it feels cold at 50 now, and I didn't live in warm weather until I was 28.

I looked into the criteria a couple of years ago, thinking I knew someone who might qualify. However after watching a couple of episodes I realized that in order to get their attention I'd have to push this guy off an overpass during rush hour, run over his dog, poison his cat and burn down his workplace. So figured WTF ... call an exterminator and replace the toilet seat and we'll call it even. :death:

One of the guys I worked with years ago was going to submit an application, I asked him why he thought he would qualify. He said they simply didn't have the time or money to fix up their house. Told him he'd have to give his kids a deadly disease if he would even have a chance to make the show. And this was the first year or two it was on.