Grimm

Nevergiveup

IMHO, experience is severely overrated by people. Either you are able to do the job or you can't. Having experience certainly helps deal with certain situations that arise, but ultimately is rarely the determining factor in whether you succeed or fail. If experience was required for every job, noone would ever get hired, other than the people that helped their mom or dad out at the family business growing up. I am much more concerned with them hiring the right person rather than if the person has head coaching experience. The best coaches in any sport at one time had no experience.

My vote for funniest post ever! :worthy:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cowher has interviewed, as has Shanahan. I suspect that Harbaugh has as well, but decided that Stanford was a pretty good gig (which it is).

Cowher has not interviewed. Kelly and Wilson have had conversations, but nothing official. That's a reach if there ever was one. Shanahan was a pipe dream and all but the most homer of fans know it. Neither of those were ever realistic.

Harbaugh would prefer to remain at Stanford than coach in the NFL? What's wrong with that picture? Certainly no worthy NFL HC job would be eschewed in favor of a job in the PAC-10 which isn't high profile.

Goodness gracious.

If the local media had a pulse we might actually get some info on WHY these coaches are turning down the chance to interview.

Yeah, the media ought to get out the thumbscrews and get the reasons out of coaches used to talking in politically correct coachspeak. They don't want to tell the reasons, but most likely, the reasons are the obvious ones, they are happy where they are, they hope a better offer comes their way, they're genuinely involved in the playoffs and doing their job the way it should be done, and they're very wary of a rebuilding job without a competent QB in place.

As for the Grimm news at the top, the OP was obviously talking about the news we heard four days ago that Grimm won't be interviewing till after the playoffs. He hasn't turned us down, but has said that he won't interview us till after he's finished this season.

Guys who come on and tell rumors with no attribution - well, if they had something new, they would have heard it minutes ago and easily been able to give us a link. When there's no link, you have to take everything with a huge dose of salt, and when hours later nothing has come out, you know it was YET MORE smoke without fire. Like there's not enough of that on these boards.

OP, the reason we ask for links on these bits of news isn't to harass anyone or annoy anyone. It's to make sure that everyone on these boards is working with correct info. If everyone knows everything that is publicly available, if they know the facts and stats which are real from the ones people "heard somewhere," the level of conversation goes way way up.

This is the latest news: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/1/14/...ng-to-giants-as

"Buffalo reportedly will sit down with Arizona's Russ Grimm regarding the opening once their playoff run is complete..."

Here's another one: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...6260&spln=1

"It looks like Grimm will hold off for as long as the Cardinals remain alive in the playoffs."

I think that is an honorable thing to do if in fact Grimm wants to wait until the playoffs are over before interviewing with the Bills. I really believe that all coordinators for playoff teams should be off limits until their teams are eliminated. Grimm is doing the honorable thing by staying 100% focused on the Cardinals playoff success right now. It doesn't mean he doesn't want the Bills job. It just means that the Bills are going to have to wait to speak with him and this is as it should be.

If the local media had a pulse we might actually get some info on WHY these coaches are turning down the chance to interview.

So far, the only coach know who has actually turned down an interview is Schott. There's an article in this morning's Buf News about why, and I believe that it doesn't have much to do with the Bills.

Rivera has only stated that he won't interview until after the playoffs, which is the same thing Grimm has said.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...o-interview.htm

If we interviewed Harbaugh and decided not to hire him, it makes sense for it to be a secret, since it would have negative effects on his recruiting. If he interviewed and decided not to take it because he loves Stanford, we probably would have heard that from him, because it increases his profile to potential recruits.

As for the Grimm news at the top, the OP was obviously talking about the news we heard four days ago that Grimm won't be interviewing till after the playoffs. He hasn't turned us down, but has said that he won't interview us till after he's finished this season.

Well he can correct me then if he's wrong but I believe the OP has a source within the organization. He was the one who broke the Nix announcement first here.

Anyone starting a thread with the words "I heard..." without providing a link or even attribution of any kind should be banned.

I strongly disagree. I think if a posted clearly states that the following information is of the "I heard..." type, then he or she is being forthright and not deceptive. I have issues with those who come on here and state something is a fact when they really are not sure.

Moreover, "Nevergiveup" was quite accurate in his prediction that Nix would be named the GM, and he was the one and only person I saw post that the Bills would not be interested in Billick -- a move that surprised most here.

I strongly disagree. I think if a posted clearly states that the following information is of the "I heard..." type, then he or she is being forthright and not deceptive. I have issues with those who come on here and state something is a fact when they really are not sure.

Moreover, "Nevergiveup" was quite accurate in his prediction that Nix would be named the GM, and he was the one and only person I saw post that the Bills would not be interested in Billick -- a move that surprised most here.

Thanks Coach and Scribo.

Cowher has not interviewed. Kelly and Wilson have had conversations, but nothing official. That's a reach if there ever was one. Shanahan was a pipe dream and all but the most homer of fans know it. Neither of those were ever realistic.

Harbaugh would prefer to remain at Stanford than coach in the NFL? What's wrong with that picture? Certainly no worthy NFL HC job would be eschewed in favor of a job in the PAC-10 which isn't high profile.

Goodness gracious.

?? You really think everyone wants to coach in the NFL over college?

And of course Cowher has interviewed. Oftentimes, it's the "informal" interviews that lead to jobs. It won't in this case, however.

Having said all of this, I agree with your general gist that the whole process has been embarrassing.

I'd like to see the flaming that occurs if these guys interviewed "during the playoffs" after they became the Coach and made a decision someone didn't like.."This guy couldn't even stick with his old team in the PLAYOFFS. They were already out the door to become the coach here. How do you expect a guy like that to win games?!!"

Grimm has been up for several head coaching positions throughout the past few years. He lost out to Tomlin in Pittsburgh, and Washington checked him out, too.

He is the assistant head coach and a positional coach right now with the Cards.

I would feel that Grimm would be bringing the right style of football to the Bills, and I believe that we would finally get away from the Mauronic tendency to flood our draft and roster with defensive backs and start to assemble one of the most dominating offensive lines in football.

And if Grimm does not work out, I am intrigued by Jim Harbaugh.

Grimm has been up for several head coaching positions throughout the past few years. He lost out to Tomlin in Pittsburgh, and Washington checked him out, too.

He is the assistant head coach and a positional coach right now with the Cards.

I would feel that Grimm would be bringing the right style of football to the Bills, and I believe that we would finally get away from the Mauronic tendency to flood our draft and roster with defensive backs and start to assemble one of the most dominating offensive lines in football.

And if Grimm does not work out, I am intrigued by Jim Harbaugh.

I agree with your opinion. I suspect that Grimm would bring the right brand of football; the right focus and the right attitude to succeed in Buffalo

I agree with your opinion. I suspect that Grimm would bring the right brand of football; the right focus and the right attitude to succeed in Buffalo

Thank you, good sir!

And I must say that Rowdy Roddy Piper rules!

Thank you, good sir!

And I must say that Rowdy Roddy Piper rules!

i'm a bit tired - I should clarify that I share your opinion and agree with your thesis. just want to be good with the english stuff lest someone start screaming.

We would have resolution, if Cowher were to enter Piper's Pit!

Grimm doesn't excite me. He didn't excite the Steelers either three years ago when they hired Tomlin. He was the Steelers 2nd choice to Wisenhunt, and became the 3rd choice after Tomlin interviewed and knocked the socks off off the Rooneys and Wisenhunt went to AZ. At best, he might end up being a poor man's Andy Reid (I guess that makes him a perfect fit for the Bills!). That is, he might be a decent X and O's guy, but relatively unemotional on the sidelines (doesn't that also describe Dick Jauron!) - I say keep looking.

Still hope he at least interviews. However Wisenhunt is really the man behind that offense. Also, former Bills coach Mike Miller has more input into that offense than Grimm. Doesn't mean Grimm could not be a decent HC, but he would have to line up some strong coordinators.

Maybe if he gets eliminated next week, he would be more likely to submit than if they make an extended run. Still does not look like it from what I have gathered.

Grimm doesn't excite me. He didn't excite the Steelers either three years ago when they hired Tomlin. He was the Steelers 2nd choice to Wisenhunt, and became the 3rd choice after Tomlin interviewed and knocked the socks off off the Rooneys and Wisenhunt went to AZ. At best, he might end up being a poor man's Andy Reid (I guess that makes him a perfect fit for the Bills!). That is, he might be a decent X and O's guy, but relatively unemotional on the sidelines (doesn't that also describe Dick Jauron!) - I say keep looking.

Grimm hasn't excited me either.

But in any event, Bills fans just need to sit tight until the Vikings season ends - I feel pretty strongly that we're going to go with Leslie Frazier.

Hate to say it, but I'm rooting for the Cowboys this weekend...