OT - Ron Artest Will Not Play this year

EZC-Boston

I love how everyone here is saying oh he should have shown restraint when most of us show zero restraint here on the board.

uhhh....this is an internet message board. typing on ou keyboards doesn't involve a 6'7" 246 pound man running into the stands to go after someone who didn't throw a cup full of beer at them.

"What does integrity mean?" - Ron Artest

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how everyone here is saying oh he should have shown restraint when most of us show zero restraint here on the board.

128180[/snapback]

unreal.

I will tell you this. If my keyboard ever dumps a PLASTIC CUP OF WATER on me, I will beat the ever living s#it out of it.

unreal.

I will tell you this. If my keyboard ever dumps a PLASTIC CUP OF WATER on me, I will beat the ever living s#it out of it.

128200[/snapback]

steve i feel the same way. As a college athlete, if i kicked the crap out of a competitior from the home team and the fans starting throwing partially full to full containers at my head, i would charge at them and throw them down the fuggin stands. No fans (including Bills fans) should ever throw any objects onto the field or directly at a player as it is a truly classless act.

The Pistons players and fans showed little class and respect in defeat. When you lose, you have to work harder to win the next one, simply put. kinda like we expect the bills to play like they did today after being so flat last week. I think Artest should have been suspended a bit (30 games) but not a whole season. People from the Indiana organization should have been trying to restrain him from going up in the stands in the first place.

Here's what I think.

Artest had all the frickin right to go in the crowd. It's freaking illegal to throw things on the court. It's illegal to go on the court. These people instigated him to come up there after Ben Wallace got ticked and started a fight.

We live in a world where if we retaliate to what people do to us then we get punished.

If someone came to your job and threw a cup of beer on you what would you do?

127813[/snapback]

While I cannot agre with you that Artest did nothing wrong, I will quote a line from Chrisk Rock's "Bring the Pain" routine when discussing OJ:

"I'm not saying he should have done it, but I understand!"

Artest should have refrained from going in. No question, but I am sick and tired of fans thinking that just because they buy a ticket that gives them the right to be verbally abusive of players, to throw stevestojan at players and to enter the field of play. Any fan that abuses a player and gets the crap beat out of him gets what he deserved. And while I would definitely punish the player for doing it, I would not take away his entire season for it, not even Ron Artest.

The reality is, players probably constantly have to swallow their pride and anger night after night for these A-holes, and after a while, a thrown cup, a stolen hat, etc. is all it takes to set off the conflagration, especially when their adrenaline is already pumping. I find this to be at least equally on security in these venues for permitting fans to be drunk, rowdy, verbally abusive and worse. I would have given Artest 35 games and no more.

All those clowns will get is fined a few hundred bucks, maybe have their season tickets revoked. That should be the least of it, and they should have to forfeit the money as well....no refunds. But none of those idiots will lose what these players will lose. Not even close. And while that should be a huge incentive for players to swallow their anger, I can certanly understand how even a simple thing like a thrown cup is enough to set an ahtlete off.

I'm sure Artest's adrenaline was flowing. I know mine would have been had a guy like Wallace shoved me and came after me. And so what he fouled him so he couldn't make the lay-up? Wallace is a big boy. It was hardly the kind of foul that would cause injury.

I have heard all this crap about how this is necessary to ensure fans' safety, so that they know that players will not come into the stands again. This makes me laugh. How 'bout if the fans STFU when it comes to verbally abusing players, stay in their seats and off the field of play, and refrain from thowing stevestojan at them when they should know that such an act is likely to provoke a player who is already amped over something that ocurred on the court or field? And how about these venues do their jobs and throw drunk and belligerent fans out on their asses?

I have no sympathy for any fan that gets his ass kicked by an athlete for being an idiot.

I'm not saying he should have done it, but I understand!

Here's what I think.

Artest had all the frickin right to go in the crowd. It's freaking illegal to throw things on the court. It's illegal to go on the court. These people instigated him to come up there after Ben Wallace got ticked and started a fight.

We live in a world where if we retaliate to what people do to us then we get punished.

If someone came to your job and threw a cup of beer on you what would you do?

127813[/snapback]

<BEGIN RANT>

Like I said...I deal with drunkin' boaters on a daily basis in the summer. Sometimes 20-100 pleasure craft are in the 1000'x110' chamber each cycle (every 25 minutes). Now mix that in with 700' tows, thousands of tons of cargo... and you get a recipe for property loss, public safety problems.

I have been shot at (so close you can see the muzzle flashes go off from across the river... Bullet holes in signage (our old flammable signs would flip around on the handrail to put them in use... Makes a great shooting gallery!).

I have had fireworks shot into the chamber when locking commercial craft and pleasure craft.

People hate to wait... When you tell them that they can't come in and have to wait an hour to get to the lake or home... People get pissed.

I have seen fistfights amongs boaters. People have come on the wall and have threatened staff.

I have even had Chicago police officers (off duty) threaten to kill the lock staff because they couldn't lock through with hazardous commodities. These same officers wouldn't take their vessel out of the chamber even with 5,000 tons on jet fuel in the chamber. It took their supervisor 2 hours to talk the drunkin' bastards out.

Did I or the staff once cause a riot... NO. I don't want to be fired for not conducting myself professionally (yes, it gets challenging!)

You call the USCG, police, ect...

The last thing you need to do is go off half-cocked when the USCG comes to your front gate in a land vehicle, saying we have our personel onboard a vessel that will be coming through... We believe they have arms and drugs onboard!

Actually things are a lot better know with added protection power...

What ya do when you get a bomb-threat?

I sure hope you remain calm!

God, I love the winter... Slow except for the commercial craft and duck hunters with shot guns.

Even tow have been known to get rocks dropped through their pilot house windows from bridges... Shot at... What do you think they do? Stand out on the gang plank and return fire?

Get real. I could go on, I have only scratched the surface.

</END RANT>

I don't get paid millions of dollars at my job.  If my job was to sit in a dunk tank at the carnival, I'd probably be fired for attacking a person that threw the ball that dunked me into the water.  Artest's profession is one that puts him in hostle situations and forbids that he react with violence.  He broke the rules, and now he's paying for it.

127828[/snapback]

VERY well said!!

I would pull out a gun and kill him.

Sure, I might go to jail if they didn't buy the whole "he started it by throwing coffee at me" line but at least that's better than having to worry about someone thinking I'm a kitty.

My family would understand.

:blink:

127879[/snapback]

:blink::blink::blink:

Sorry... Guys (and Gals)... Just reading through, my PPP "blood" compells me to comment! :blink::D

Anyway... I'll be busy soon!

Just another case of the NBA trying to make sure the Pacers don't win it.

A !@#$ing joke.

Now that I know it's ok to throw stuff at players at NBA games I will make sure to serenade the Pistons players with beer as they enter Conseco when I go to the rematch.

127971[/snapback]

You are not bright are you?... Sure way to get the "book" thrown at you after this precedent has been set.

steve i feel the same way. As a college athlete, if i kicked the crap out of a competitior from the home team and the fans starting throwing partially full to full containers at my head, i would charge at them and throw them down the fuggin stands. No fans (including Bills fans) should ever throw any objects onto the field or directly at a player as it is a truly classless act.

The Pistons players and fans showed little class and respect in defeat. When you lose, you have to work harder to win the next one, simply put. kinda like we expect the bills to play like they did today after being so flat last week.  I think Artest should have been suspended a bit (30 games) but not a whole season. People from the Indiana organization should have been trying to restrain him from going up in the stands in the first place.

128264[/snapback]

Reggie Miller did take the headsets off RA when he wanted to give an interview DURING the early altercation.

:blink::blink:

I'm sure Artest's adrenaline was flowing.  I know mine would have been had a guy like Wallace shoved me and came after me.  And so what he fouled him so he couldn't make the lay-up?  Wallace is a big boy.  It was hardly the kind of foul that would cause injury.

128274[/snapback]

This is got to be a record... 6 posts in a row now... God, nights on the board are slow... :blink:

What?

Oh, yah, his adrenaline was really flowing, lounging on the table... Sitting up, smiling, louging back down... Attempting to give an impromptu interview...

:blink::blink:

Actually quite the opposite... RA looked calm and cool as a cucumber.

He is a loon... Look at the video!

I'm not saying he should have done it, but I understand!

Probably the best post I have read on teh subject.

My only disagreement is that I think Artest's foul on Wallace was a lot worse than you imply. Artest is like 6'5" 250lbs and when he drove a right into the back of Wallace's shoulderblade while his arms were extended, he could indeed have hurt him. And the fact that the cheapie came at teh end of a game that was already decided meant something as well. That foul was delivered with bad intentions and everybody involved knew it.

I also think it's worth mentioning that Artest threw the first actual punch on the night.

And just for the record... I DO understand too. RA will have to understand that his actions have a very serious consequence... He has to realize he will pay (in more ways than many).

Was it worth it? I think the video speaks for itself... at the end you can see RA's remorse... Almost dejected... Kinda like, what have I done?

He knows... Will he say it?

????