Interesting note on QBs

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/200...&id=4802190

"Any franchise down on its luck need only look at this season's playoff teams to figure what it must do. It must find a bona fide quarterback. Each of this season's 12 playoff teams has a quarterback who has been, or is going to, the Pro Bowl, or who was a first-round pick. Quarterbacks are the stars of the game, and with the exception of the New York Jets, they're the stars of this year's postseason teams.

Arizona has Kurt Warner, Dallas has Tony Romo, Green Bay has Aaron Rodgers, Minnesota has Brett Favre, New Orleans has Drew Brees, Philadelphia has Donovan McNabb, Baltimore has Joe Flacco, Cincinnati has Carson Palmer, Indianapolis has Peyton Manning, New England has Tom Brady, the New York Jets have Mark Sanchez and San Diego has Philip Rivers. It's a quarterback league -- same as it always was."

Appreciate the need to grab an OT and fix the line, but if Nix believes in a QB in the 1st round, I don't know how you pass on him.

He would have had a complete point if he left "The Sanchize" off that list and added the fact that is took the #1 Defense to get a Team into the Playoffs with a poor QB...Cause overall Sanchez sucked out loud as a Rookie... :thumbsup:

BTW I hate "The Sanchize..." :thumbsup:

It's all about the QB in the NFL. Until we find a stud QB we will suck. We can sit here and B word and whine about lines all we want. If we had just about ANY of those QB's listed we would most likely have a winning record this year.

Time to cut the Bull **** and find a damn good QB

It's all about the QB in the NFL. Until we find a stud QB we will suck. We can sit here and B word and whine about lines all we want. If we had just about ANY of those QB's listed we would most likely have a winning record this year.

But n order for the QB to succeed and do his part, he needs protection from a O-line

Yeah because drafting a first round QB is a sure thing. Just ask Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Matt Leinart, Alex Smith, Jason Campbell, JP Losman, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, David Carr, Joey Harrington, and Patrick Ramsey

Nice strawman. Of course drafting a first-round QB isn't a sure thing. They bust like 60% of the time. It's just that getting a franchise QB is so important, you have to take a risk in order to get one. What do you want to do, wait for the next Drew Brees to hit free agency? That will probably never happen again. Take a flyer on a mid-round guy? Those bust like 95% of the time.

Just because you take a QB in the first round (or even in the top 10) doesn't mean he'll pan out. And you shouldn't reach for a guy that doesn't carry a first-round grade just because you need a QB. But if you don't have a QB (which we don't), and there's a QB available with a first-round grade, it doesn't matter who else is available or what your other needs are, you must take the QB. Then you focus on building around him while he develops. Hopefully by the time he's ready to lead you to glory, you've built a solid O-line and given him good weapons to work with.

Having said all that, I should point out that there's really only 2 QBs with first-round grades (although LeFevour has a slim chance of being a dark horse), and I doubt either one will be available at #9. I would not advocate just reaching for Tebow or Tony Pike or someone like that.

Tampa Bay has one of the better OLs in the game, and their offense isn't going anywhere unless Freeman develops.

I'll take a great QB behind a mediocre OL any day over a mediocre QB behind a great OL. Whats the point o giving your QB all day to throw if he can't hit the passes?

I agree, the Bills will need a very good QB. But we need a very good LT, LB, DT and DE as well. The thing is we do not need to draft them all in 1 year. I believe the Bills are in a full-blown rebuild, so we are looking at 2-3 drafts to restock this team. I hope we get lucky with our picks and pickups.

By the way, I definitely do not want Brian Billick as a head coach. He is supposed to be an offensive coach, but his offenses suck. He relied too heavily on his defensive coaches to make him look good.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/200...&id=4802190

"Any franchise down on its luck need only look at this season's playoff teams to figure what it must do. It must find a bona fide quarterback. Each of this season's 12 playoff teams has a quarterback who has been, or is going to, the Pro Bowl, or who was a first-round pick. Quarterbacks are the stars of the game, and with the exception of the New York Jets, they're the stars of this year's postseason teams.

Arizona has Kurt Warner, Dallas has Tony Romo, Green Bay has Aaron Rodgers, Minnesota has Brett Favre, New Orleans has Drew Brees, Philadelphia has Donovan McNabb, Baltimore has Joe Flacco, Cincinnati has Carson Palmer, Indianapolis has Peyton Manning, New England has Tom Brady, the New York Jets have Mark Sanchez and San Diego has Philip Rivers. It's a quarterback league -- same as it always was."

Appreciate the need to grab an OT and fix the line, but if Nix believes in a QB in the 1st round, I don't know how you pass on him.

There are no QBs in this draft that deserve a 1st round grade and meet the expectation of starting quickly.

Theres always a QB that goes in the first round, but I dont think any of them are top 10 pick caliber. Only Bradford and Clausen in my opinion are worthy 1st round picks.

I think only Bradford and Clausen are top ten picks.

There are no QBs in this draft that deserve a 1st round grade and meet the expectation of starting quickly.

I think the Bills could be drafting higher next year than they are this year and it might be a long term good thing. OT, LB, Run Stopping DT and DE this year. Perhaps the long term solution to QB is in next years draft.

That's the question and problem.

Are any of these QBs entering the draft worth a first round pick?

Unless Tebow's intangibles make him the one I don't see a bona fide first in this bunch. Look at the Jets, four out of five first round draft picks on the offensive line and then get a quarterback. Unless the next Peyton is there I want the trenches fixed then get the final piece of the puzzle. Getting the Quarterback first is the proverbial cart before the horse.

+1,000,000

I am no expert, but none of the QB talent impresses me this year for what we need in Buffalo.

I would not use a 1st round pick on any of these guys. I would rather the Bills used 1st 2 rounds on OT & LB then look at the likes of LeFlour, Levi Brown, etc. in the 3rd or 4th.

Nobody worthwhile in free agency either.

Hopefully the new coaching staff, Nix, etc. consider all positions open for competition. I did not like the move of last off-season in signing a "backup" QB so as not to put pressure on Edwards when we could have had a more proven guy like Kitna who could've taken over the starting position and done something with it.

Also, considering the QB drafting crapshoot and different paces of development, we also may have a strong QB candidate in Brohm, a former 2nd round pick.

Its incredible people still think that good production at the QB position is simply solved by the QB himself. Its an argument a 6 yr old brings to the table

Its offensive line play + protection schemes + play design scheme + QB execution......its not simply QB execution.

And cannot be solved by QB execution alone....you think Big ben was great when they won the superbowl his rookie year?? He only threw the ball 16 times a game. They had a top defense + top line that won IN SPITE of Big Bens poor play his rookie year.

Pittsburgh at that point had everything but Big Ben....then they got their young 1st round QB and were off and running to 2 superbowls....that should be our model !! JP Losman may have seen good success if put into the same comfy situation Big Ben was

This year we complete the offensive line and get a quality off coordinator....and get any veteran QB that can help execute it all....following year get your 1st rd franchise QB....

Just a note here because I've seen this a couple of times in different threads - the Steelers did NOT win a Super bowl in Ben's rookie year. His rookie year was the 15-1 year in which they lost before the super bowl. Another note, Cowher was not starting Ben that rookie year either; when Tommy Madox got hurt ben took the starting job and ran with it.

great, and out of the people this genius(schefter) listed, 3 of the 4 that have won superbowls were not drafted in the first round.

and of those 3 of the 4 superbowl winning qb's, none would have even had a chance if it wasnt for their teams regular starter going down with injuries.

so we would have been saying "kurt who?, brett who, tom who?"

Don't forget Tony Romo. You can thank Bledsoe for Tom and Tony (why couldn't he do the same for us :D )

A post that makes sense. Everyone wants to draft a QB with the first pick. First I will put out there that I hate Fitz. He is terrible, and was terrible last year in CIN. Edwards and Brohm still have potential and I think you have to start with the OL. Do we need to draft a OL with the first pick? I would say no because that doesn't fix anything then put another Rookie on a young inexperienced OL. They need to draft a LB and use FA to pick up at least a LT if not another OL position. I also think Edwards or Brohm need to be giving a chance. YEAH YEAH YEAH, "Edwards has had his chance". Got it. Levitre, Wood, Harga, Butler have had their's as well. Dump them all if you think that is the correct way to go. Build a line this year and put noodle arm or Brohm back there next year to see what they got behind a OL that can block.

Its incredible people still think that good production at the QB position is simply solved by the QB himself. Its an argument a 6 yr old brings to the table

Its offensive line play + protection schemes + play design scheme + QB execution......its not simply QB execution.

And cannot be solved by QB execution alone....you think Big ben was great when they won the superbowl his rookie year?? He only threw the ball 16 times a game. They had a top defense + top line that won IN SPITE of Big Bens poor play his rookie year.

Pittsburgh at that point had everything but Big Ben....then they got their young 1st round QB and were off and running to 2 superbowls....that should be our model !! JP Losman may have seen good success if put into the same comfy situation Big Ben was

This year we complete the offensive line and get a quality off coordinator....and get any veteran QB that can help execute it all....following year get your 1st rd franchise QB....

Who said that here? Not one post that I saw. If anything, people are asserting that a good offensive line will make a QB great.

Exactly.....the Cleveland Browns have a good line and how did that work out for them? Horribly as they did not have a good QB. The Steelers had a bad OL last year (allowing the most sacks or close to it) yet because Big Ben is a great QB they won the SB. Same with the Cardinals last year.....reminder who they had at LT...Mike Gandy and they went to the SB b/c of Warner. You can bring in any coach here but it will not matter until we have a QB. Go ask Bellichick as he had essentially the same record as Jauron as a HC until T Brady took over. Oh yeah, and T Brady took over the exact same OL, RB and WRs that Bledsoe had and lost with....bottom line, WE NEED A QB more than anything.