Interesting note on QBs

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/200...&id=4802190

"Any franchise down on its luck need only look at this season's playoff teams to figure what it must do. It must find a bona fide quarterback. Each of this season's 12 playoff teams has a quarterback who has been, or is going to, the Pro Bowl, or who was a first-round pick. Quarterbacks are the stars of the game, and with the exception of the New York Jets, they're the stars of this year's postseason teams.

Arizona has Kurt Warner, Dallas has Tony Romo, Green Bay has Aaron Rodgers, Minnesota has Brett Favre, New Orleans has Drew Brees, Philadelphia has Donovan McNabb, Baltimore has Joe Flacco, Cincinnati has Carson Palmer, Indianapolis has Peyton Manning, New England has Tom Brady, the New York Jets have Mark Sanchez and San Diego has Philip Rivers. It's a quarterback league -- same as it always was."

Appreciate the need to grab an OT and fix the line, but if Nix believes in a QB in the 1st round, I don't know how you pass on him.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Any franchise down on its luck need only look at this season's playoff teams to figure what it must do. It must find a bona fide quarterback. Each of this season's 12 playoff teams has a quarterback who has been, or is going to, the Pro Bowl, or who was a first-round pick. Quarterbacks are the stars of the game, and with the exception of the New York Jets, they're the stars of this year's postseason teams.

Arizona has Kurt Warner, Dallas has Tony Romo, Green Bay has Aaron Rodgers, Minnesota has Brett Favre, New Orleans has Drew Brees, Philadelphia has Donovan McNabb, Baltimore has Joe Flacco, Cincinnati has Carson Palmer, Indianapolis has Peyton Manning, New England has Tom Brady, the New York Jets have Mark Sanchez and San Diego has Philip Rivers. It's a quarterback league -- same as it always was."

Appreciate the need to grab an OT and fix the line, but if Nix believes in a QB in the 1st round, I don't know how you pass on him.

That's the question and problem.

Are any of these QBs entering the draft worth a first round pick?

great, and out of the people this genius(schefter) listed, 3 of the 4 that have won superbowls were not drafted in the first round.

and of those 3 of the 4 superbowl winning qb's, none would have even had a chance if it wasnt for their teams regular starter going down with injuries.

so we would have been saying "kurt who?, brett who, tom who?"

As Buddy said in his presser,"you cant throw the ball laying on your back" So a quarterback will help, oline must be addressed First. :thumbsup:

That's the question and problem.

Are any of these QBs entering the draft worth a first round pick?

Theres always a QB that goes in the first round, but I dont think any of them are top 10 pick caliber. Only Bradford and Clausen in my opinion are worthy 1st round picks.

IMHO ...... put any one of those QBs on a team with a suckafied O-line ..... and a woefully lacking coaching staff and they all would be bums.

I'm just sayin' .... does the QB make a bad team good .... or does a good team make the aveage QB "great".

IMHO ...... put any one of those QBs on a team with a suckafied O-line ..... and a woefully lacking coaching staff and they all would be bums.

I'm just sayin' .... does the QB make a bad team good .... or does a good team make the aveage QB "great".

Seriously??? Bums...lol

great, and out of the people this genius(schefter) listed, 3 of the 4 that have won superbowls were not drafted in the first round.

and of those 3 of the 4 superbowl winning qb's, none would have even had a chance if it wasnt for their teams regular starter going down with injuries.

so we would have been saying "kurt who?, brett who, tom who?"

True, but guess how many Pro Bowl LTs are currently in the playoffs right now? 2.

I'm not arguing about whether you need a good offensive line; you obviously need both. What I am saying is that if your scouting staff likes a QB, there is no reason to pass on him to fix the OL.

Conversely, how good were we with a Pro Bowl LT and $75m worth of offensive lineman the last five years?

Conversely, how good were we with a Pro Bowl LT and $75m worth of offensive lineman the last five years?

While I will admit I was a Jason Peters fan (and still think he's a good LT) ..... I don't feel the other 4 guys on the line were of any "quality" ..... just because we paid a butt ton of money for them doesn't mean they were good.

I think that the key phrase you uttered was "if Nix believes".

I agree. IF NIX believes in a QB, then I am onboard.

I just question if Modrak is the one in charge of scouting the QB Nix believes in....

Its incredible people still think that good production at the QB position is simply solved by the QB himself. Its an argument a 6 yr old brings to the table

Its offensive line play + protection schemes + play design scheme + QB execution......its not simply QB execution.

And cannot be solved by QB execution alone....you think Big ben was great when they won the superbowl his rookie year?? He only threw the ball 16 times a game. They had a top defense + top line that won IN SPITE of Big Bens poor play his rookie year.

Pittsburgh at that point had everything but Big Ben....then they got their young 1st round QB and were off and running to 2 superbowls....that should be our model !! JP Losman may have seen good success if put into the same comfy situation Big Ben was

This year we complete the offensive line and get a quality off coordinator....and get any veteran QB that can help execute it all....following year get your 1st rd franchise QB....

Chicken or Egg? In some cases it's the chicken, in others, the egg.

There is NEVER just one way to do anything. Obviously the Colts made the right call on Peyton Manning. Obviously the Chargers with the very next pick would have been better off drafting Tra Thomas, Alan Faneca, Charles Woodson, or Randy Moss...or just about anyone instead of Ryan Leaf.

In 1995, the Jaguars took Tony Boselli 2nd overall ahead of Steve McNair (3rd) and Kerry Collins (5th). Can anyone say that Jacksonville made the wrong choice? Boselli is under consideration for the Hall of Fame even though injuries cut his career to a relatively short 91 games (less than 6 full seasons).

"Quarterback at all costs" proponents are wrong. Too many 1st round QBs flop. It's not simply about picking a quarterback. It's about picking the right one. You have to be smart and lucky.

Let's hope that the Bills will start making a higher percentage of good decisions than they have in their recent past. Drafting well is really freaking hard, whatever position you decide to take.

It's not about what position you take, it's about what player to take.

As Buddy said in his presser,"you cant throw the ball laying on your back" So a quarterback will help, oline must be addressed First. :thumbsup:

I agree that a QB can't throw the ball laying on their back, but there were many times when they had the time, but no receivers were open..and there were many times when the receivers were open....but the QB's...especially Trent Edwards

would try for the safe, short-yardage completion and frustrate the receivers...and sometimes the throw would be there (rarely)..and the receiver (especially T.O. early in the season) would drop the ball. Then other times the Bills would make a nice completion but be penalized for false start or holding. So it's a multitude of contributing factors that go into the Bills QB woes. Remember the Offensive line was injured all year long and some of that goes back to the strength & conditioning

that is an ongoing process. I think the offensive line is one stud away from being respectable if coached right and practiced

harder during training camp and pre-season. I don't have confidence in Trent Edwards as he doesn't make the easy five and dime throws that are just little dump off passes as a safety valve if the pressure is intense. Trent also does not sense pressure coming from the sides and behind him which adds to his "sackability". Trent locks onto recievers and conveys to the opposing team's QB's where he intends on throwing the ball. Trent Edwards needs to be released! Ryan Fitszpatrick is a better QB than Trent Edwards and would make a fine 3rd QB on any team. His mechanics are not that great, but he does deliver an occasional big bang completion to keep the team in many games. He also projects which receiver he is locked on and struggles to complete the most basic of passes. Ryan has a tendancy to throw a little short which means the pass ends up striking the ground prior to ever getting to the intended reciever. Ryan is more of a boom or bust QB that can have the big 300-yard game that Trent Edwards is incapable of achieving (and has not achieved). I would hang onto Ryan Fitszpatrick for at least one more year as a nr#2 or preferably #3 QB. The goal should be to be actively pursue the best Free Agent QB that may be available during the off-season and get him signed. The other goal should be to draft a QB with the talent or the ability to become the Bill's future QB. The only part of the scenario that is unknown is the future of Brian Brohm who may have some upward mobility if he can grasp the complexities of the game and playbook. To date he has not been able to overcome those challenges, but may have a future with the Bills in a couple of years? All this comes back to the point that although the offensive line is handicapped and flawed the Bills also need to spend a high draft pick on a QB! I think with a new coach coming in and several changes being made that this would be the year when the Bills need to trade back into the 1st round and get the best QB & best left Offensive tackle that they can get their hands on. New England finds a way back into the 1st round quite often and we need to get as many high picks as we can muster. I would be fine if the bills traded away M. Lynch for a 2nd or 3rd round pick as I think he'll be back in trouble with the law sooner or later! I also would get rid of as much deadweight from this team as I could (and still be able to field a team)! Okay Bills...get Cowher or Billick or Shottenheimer...get rid of Modrak & Guy!.....Draft me a QB & Left tackle...and another QB Free agent....dump Trent....let Schobel retire as he's already gone if he's contemplating retirement...get me a DT in the first 3 rounds too! and we'll be off and running with fast freddy to our first winning season in over a decade!! The formula is all here....just like Betty Crocker...all the Bills need to do is follow this recipe card with a pinch of this or that and they will be Winners again!!! :thumbsup: