Green Day sellout is complete

as we enter a new decade, the selling out of Green Day becomes complete, with news that their musical will open on Broadway ... blah, blah, blah.

the idiotic irony of this is far too palpable regarding a band that grew up on punk rock influences, including the mighty Replacements, and now join billy joel and abba by going all times square sabarro on us. it's a sad day, though it was apparent a long time ago that billy joe and the boys were more posers than punk, more pretenders than messengers, more tre cool than tres bien.

they now stand as as meaningless fluff, inartistic wannabes, who stand tall only in a new york sewer, and have the greedhead stink breath to prove it.

so here, as they enter the american idiot idol era of what's left of their poetically bankrupt careers, let me hail them with a one-fingered salute.

sellouts

jw

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as we enter a new decade, the selling out of Green Day becomes complete, with news that their musical will open on Broadway ... blah, blah, blah.

the idiotic irony of this is far too palpable regarding a band that grew up on punk rock influences, including the mighty Replacements, and now join billy joel and abba by going all times square sabarro on us. it's a sad day, though it was apparent a long time ago that billy joe and the boys were more posers than punk, more pretenders than messengers, more tre cool than tres bien.

they now stand as as meaningless fluff, inartistic wannabes, who stand tall only in a new york sewer, and have the greedhead stink breath to prove it.

so here, as they enter the american idiot idol era of what's left of their poetically bankrupt careers, let me hail them with a one-fingered salute.

sellouts

jw

Sooooo... you're saying you couldn't get tickets. :nana:

Seriously, people have labeled Green Day as punk for years and I've always wondered why. Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks they're quite the opposite of punk.

Green Day was more "punkish" when they first got together but they have been far from it for a long time. I will say that since I moved to SF I've gotten so sick of hearing about them. They formed up here and seems to be SF's gift to the music world (at least you'd think so by reading the Chronicle) but personally I think they suck.

sellouts

jw

Mama Mia :nana:

Green Day was more "punkish" when they first got together but they have been far from it for a long time. I will say that since I moved to SF I've gotten so sick of hearing about them. They formed up here and seems to be SF's gift to the music world (at least you'd think so by reading the Chronicle) but personally I think they suck.

You rockin & rollin today?

Can't really sell out if you had no cred to start with. Even back in the day anyone who actually lived left of the dial and no time or patience for their nonsense. The only good thing I can say about Green day is they probably turned some sheltered suburban kids onto the Ramones.

Man once that watered down punk lite style started making money the entire genre/movement was dead forever.

sellouts

jw

I'm with you John, after Nimrod they have been atrocious.

The reason to go into music is to make $ and get laid. If you think it's for the "art" you're a naive kid.

Arguing about music is pointless. Everyone has different tastes. Ramones were mentioned in the thread. imho all their songs sound alike and quickly become monotonous. They seem to be the trendy band name to drop when you want some musical cred. To me, they suck. Personally would much rather listen to Green Day up to, but not including, the American Idiot cd. Though it was pretentious and too far away from their roots. But this is just my opinion and taste and not worth arguing about.

Arguing about music is pointless. Everyone has different tastes. Ramones were mentioned in the thread. imho all their songs sound alike and quickly become monotonous. They seem to be the trendy band name to drop when you want some musical cred. To me, they suck. Personally would much rather listen to Green Day up to, but not including, the American Idiot cd. Though it was pretentious and too far away from their roots. But this is just my opinion and taste and not worth arguing about.

i can second this with the exception of american idiot just being so overplayed by radio, and used on tv that it is maddening. i had the album the day it came out and was stoked about it until the radio played it 24/7

i can second this with the exception of american idiot just being so overplayed by radio, and used on tv that it is maddening. i had the album the day it came out and was stoked about it until the radio played it 24/7

And maybe thats it. At some point I did like it because I did buy the cd but after a year of hearing it non stop everywhere I developed disdain for it I guess.

The reason to go into music is to make $ and get laid. If you think it's for the "art" you're a naive kid.

yeah, you've been listening to the wrong music.

Look to Black Flag, Minutemen, or Fugazi. Three actual punk bands who created an ethics to keep money and "rock star-ness" away from their circle and, by extension, away from the ability to corrupt their art.

Music is an easily commodified art form. A bunch of haircuts in leather pants will always show up with a couple power ballads in order to capitalize on easy women and disposable income. But for every Bon Jovi there are ten Acid Mothers Temple

Ramones can get redundant very quickly--unfortunately they were one trick ponys. But in 1976 they were revolutionary. now that every pop punk band rips them off wholesale its easy to not hear what made them so important.

yeah, you've been listening to the wrong music.

Look to Black Flag, Minutemen, or Fugazi. Three actual punk bands who created an ethics to keep money and "rock star-ness" away from their circle and, by extension, away from the ability to corrupt their art.

Music is an easily commodified art form. A bunch of haircuts in leather pants will always show up with a couple power ballads in order to capitalize on easy women and disposable income. But for every Bon Jovi there are ten Acid Mothers Temple

There is a difference between a band with a small audience and one that becomes quite popular. The REAL test of integrity, IMO, is when a band that does its own thing becomes popular and continues to do their own thing instead of chasing the dollar. That is extremely rare in popular music (or anything in pop culture). Typically, a band that finds popularity in its early years, begins to sell out and suck after becoming popular. It's very easy to stay true to your roots when nobody is offering you $$$ to do otherwise.