Green Day sellout is complete

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:w00t: I so desperately wanted to call you out on the Dead reference! For the life of me, I thought they formed in Oakland, not SF... It was SF right??

Formed in SF 45 years ago this year....yikes! But when I saw Bob and Phil with Further New Years Eve you'd never know that Phil will be 70 this year. Five and a half hour show with four and a half of music. Let's see the today's rock bands even try that.

JW- I am not a huge fan of Green Day, but I will say this, they reserve the right to do whatever the Fkcu they want to do!

How dare you hold a successful artist to your lofty standards?

Why not give a band like XTC a listen? I've read through these threads and there are plenty of "cerebral" types here.

XTC is the most creative rock band ever, don't believe me? Give their massive catalogue a listen and get back to me...

JW- I am not a huge fan of Green Day, but I will say this, they reserve the right to do whatever the Fkcu they want to do!

How dare you hold a successful artist to your lofty standards?

Why not give a band like XTC a listen? I've read through these threads and there are plenty of "cerebral" types here.

XTC is the most creative rock band ever, don't believe me? Give their massive catalogue a listen and get back to me...

:w00t::wallbash::unsure:

I understand that everyone has a right to their opinion, but I can't imagine a crappier singer than Exene Cervenka. IMO XTC sucked.

:w00t::wallbash::unsure:

I understand that everyone has a right to their opinion, but I can't imagine a crappier singer than Exene Cervenka. IMO XTC sucked.

Exene Cervenka was in X not XTC. XTC were a really interesting, occasionally brilliant, English pop band from the late 70s to about 5 years ago. X were LA's best punk band. I really think Wild Gift is the greatest album to come out of that scene.

Exene Cervenka was in X not XTC. XTC were a really interesting, occasionally brilliant, English pop band from the late 70s to about 5 years ago. X were LA's best punk band. I really think Wild Gift is the greatest album to come out of that scene.

You are entitled to your opinions but the first statement you made appears incorrect. X started out with that name and added the "TC" as a few new band members joined. The addition was made because one of the new members, "DJ Bonebrake" used to sit around on Saturdays and watch the cartoon "Top Cat". All of Top Cat's buddies called him "TC". They became XTC.

My opionion is that they sucked as X and XTC, but that is just my opinion.

Jeez, no offense at all there, John.

As far as the Broadway show goes... yeah the idea of it sounds lame as hell... Lord knows this band has been very successful for many years. What's wrong with with them trying to pursue new endeavors? (I again think the idea is pretty lame.)

As far as you analogy between Green Day and Haliburton goes...

- Haliburton has the blood of innocents on their hands due to their war-mongering-profiteering

- Green Day has stuffed bank accounts due to creativity and a lot of young spoon-fed fans that would pay anything that has their name on it.

i hear you Kiwi ... but ...

that said, to have that music watered down on broadway is a complete and ultimate disconnect -- in my opinion, and others -- from what the band pretended to stand for. they're now doing the establishment dance -- dare i mention Ms. Palin -- by cashing in on celebrity.

with all due respect, imagine this:

ramones, the musical

replacements, drunk on broadway

the clash, sandi-broadway-nista!

nirvana, never-spamalot-mind.

it's become evident that macy's day parade seems potentially a trail balloon. and their one big hit now truly applies: "good riddance (time of your life)"

jw

ADD: and in reference to the cheney administration, how do you now separate them (green day) from haliburton = cashing in?

and sorry, my disposition in regards to green day has taken a full 180. i do now absolutely hate them. ... and no offense to you, kiwi, truly.

Right on! Most creative bass lines on the planet as well. I am impressed that anyone remembers...bright fans on this board!

You are entitled to your opinions but the first statement you made appears incorrect. X started out with that name and added the "TC" as a few new band members joined. The addition was made because one of the new members, "DJ Bonebrake" used to sit around on Saturdays and watch the cartoon "Top Cat". All of Top Cat's buddies called him "TC". They became XTC.

My opionion is that they sucked as X and XTC, but that is just my opinion.

I'm sorry, but I am positive you are wrong about the XTC thing. X were X, and that's it. They had a country side project as the Knitters and Bonebrake (who was an original member) later did time in the Flesheaters. But the only XTC was the english pop band.

:thumbdown::lol:

Hey laugh all you want, but there are some very informed folks on here. Anybody who worships at the feet of Steely Dan can't be all bad!

Some interesting guitarists mentioned, surprised the heck out me...............now here is another for you bright boys, any Adrian Belew fans???

Hey laugh all you want, but there are some very informed folks on here. Anybody who worships at the feet of Steely Dan can't be all bad!

Some interesting guitarists mentioned, surprised the heck out me...............now here is another for you bright boys, any Adrian Belew fans???

I just played this video and my cat ran away howling. And he's been dead for 3 years.

That was god awful.

only reason XTC never reached more global fame was because of Andy Partridges stage fright....I hate the fact that they never gave me the opportunity to see them live, XTC was one of the best bands of the 70's/80's...

Right on! Most creative bass lines on the planet as well. I am impressed that anyone remembers...bright fans on this board!

love Adrian Belew....got the chance to see him with Crimson(sat with his wife in fact) about 12 years ago in Red Bank, NJ....what a cool night that was....

Formed in SF 45 years ago this year....yikes! But when I saw Bob and Phil with Further New Years Eve you'd never know that Phil will be 70 this year. Five and a half hour show with four and a half of music. Let's see the today's rock bands even try that.

Who would want to see that? Some people have lawns to mow.

I just played this video and my cat ran away howling. And he's been dead for 3 years.

That was god awful.

Well Jesus freaking Christ you Dipshit! Why don't you just pull out the worst possible archive material! The sound quality of all of these clips is ****.....at least hold this up as some sort of example:

love Adrian Belew....got the chance to see him with Crimson(sat with his wife in fact) about 12 years ago in Red Bank, NJ....what a cool night that was....

Saw him years ago in NC, when he played elephant talk------the whole place just went insane! I will never forget what I witnessed that night, never. :thumbdown: