Green Day sellout is complete

Dude get a !@#$ing grip. Call the type of music XTC plays wham-bam-schnickerdoodle-bang I don't give a !@#$. I listened to it I don't like it. I am not dismissing them because of the genre I'm dismissing them because I DON"T LIKE THEM. <_<

And if this makes me a music moron I'd be happy to wear the !@#$ing t-shirt!

For the record, that argument is perfectly acceptable. The only two points I want you to get through that thick skull of yours is that XTC are first rate (pop) musicians and they are retro-artists. After that you can hate it all you want. I don't discrimate against entire genres (real or perceived) or decades for that matter unlike you. You sell yourself short when you dismiss things in their entirety and that is truly your loss. I can't open your mind, you obviously feel the need to put things into tidy categories, I guess drawing a line in the sand helps you in your us versus them mentality.

I hate that this has become a shouting match because I can sense that you are probably a decent guy. :wallbash:

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, that argument is perfectly acceptable. The only two points I want you to get through that thick skull of yours is that XTC are first rate (pop) musicians and they are retro-artists. After that you can hate it all you want. I don't discrimate against entire genres (real or perceived) or decades for that matter unlike you. You sell yourself short when you dismiss things in their entirety and that is truly your loss. I can't open your mind, you obviously feel the need to put things into tidy categories, I guess drawing a line in the sand helps you in your us versus them mentality.

I hate that this has become a shouting match because I can sense that you are probably a decent guy. <_<

If the band has been around for 35 years, how can they be a retro artist? What's next, Madonna will be chided for imitating Lady Gaga?

If the band has been around for 35 years, how can they be a retro artist? What's next, Madonna will be chided for imitating Lady Gaga?

As in owing much of their sound to the "sixties". I swear, some of you just love to argue...guess what? So do I!

Obama's a respected politician. I don't like him either. What's your point? Music is subjective you moron...do you get it. Do you like hard core gangsta rap?

Obama does not look at all like Gary Numan. Alfred E. Newman, a little, but not Gary.

As in owing much of their sound to the "sixties". I swear, some of you just love to argue...guess what? So do I!

Yeah, ok

Let's see what the idiot's guide to music says about the heroes:

From Allmusic.com

XTC was one of the smartest -- and catchiest -- British pop bands to emerge from the punk and new wave explosion of the late '70s. From the tense, jerky riffs of their early singles to the lushly arranged, meticulous pop of their later albums, XTC's music has always been driven by the hook-laden songwriting of guitarist Andy Partridge and bassist Colin Moulding. While popular success has eluded them in both Britain and America, the group has developed a devoted cult following in both countries that remains loyal over two decades after their first records.

As for them being a super influential band:

Followers

* Lloyd Cole

* The Features

* Rex Daisy

* Pidgin

* Mind Reels

* Louis Philippe

* P-Model

* Polysics

* Hot Hot Heat

* The Format

* Head of Femur

* Hellogoodbye

* Mystery Jets

* Good Shoes

* The Week That Was

Who? Exactly.

Maybe this is why you're upset:

XTC's lack of commercial success isn't because their music isn't accessible -- their bright, occasionally melancholy, melodies flow with more grace than most bands -- it has more to do with the group constantly being out of step with the times.

i don't care what anyone says, for my money, XTC is one of my all time favorite bands.......

Well I can take solace in the fact that even though I want to reach through the screen and choke some of these guys, all of these bastards are suffering right along with me when the Bills lose! <_<

As long as I remember that, I don't hate them so much!

Yeah, ok

From Allmusic.com

Who? Exactly.

Wow, I'm flattered that you took the time...but since you asked and off the top of my head:

Sarah Mclachlan

Crash Test Dummies

Ruben Blades

All covered XTC songs

Do you still think these guys are inept musicians after your wonderful research? <_<

Do you still think these guys are inept musicians after your wonderful research? <_<

Correct me if I'm wrong but there's a wide range between an inept musician and the most creative drummer on planet.

But to simplify it for you, XTC falls in neither camp.

I hate that this has become a shouting match because I can sense that you are probably a decent guy. <_<

Ok I was going over the top with dismissing a whole decade. Other that that how can you get through my skull to like something I don't like??? I don't like heroin but you telling how good it is is not going to convince me it is. I sure put things into tidy little categories (so I called XTC New Wave...well dude got a clue for you THEY !@#$ING ARE!!!) there are a miriade of different types of classical music and there are sub genres of classical like baroque. XTC fits into the tidy category of "bands Chef Jim doesn't like."

Yeah, ok

From Allmusic.com

Who? Exactly.

I saw Head of Femur open up for someone a few years ago...don't remember who and had no idea who HOF was at the time. They were really great though. I have a couple of their albums now--a really great pop band.

Allmusic tends to be run by lunkheads. There was a huge pop scene out of Athens, GA in the mid to late 90s that gets referred to as "elephant 6." Beulah, Apples in Stereo, Olivia Tremor Control, Of Montreal, Elf Power, Neutral Milk Hotel....quite a few good bands. The XTC influence spread to that scene. The list they came up with was a pretty random collection of bands.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there's a wide range between an inept musician and the most creative drummer on planet.

But to simplify it for you, XTC falls in neither camp.

Let me simplify it for you:

Music and (art) in general are not mathematical equations that can be solved, so you are no more qualified than I am to speculate about whether or not they are the greatest band of all time. It is a conundrum that cannot be solved, thus neither one of us can ever be right or wrong . Next point: hyperbole on my part about the suggestion that anyone can be the greatest.

Now go out there and procure yourself some XTC young man! I can tell that your curiosity has gotten the better of you. <_<

Ok I was going over the top with dismissing a whole decade. Other that that how can you get through my skull to like something I don't like??? I don't like heroin but you telling how good it is is not going to convince me it is. I sure put things into tidy little categories (so I called XTC New Wave...well dude got a clue for you THEY !@#$ING ARE!!!) there are a miriade of different types of classical music and there are sub genres of classical like baroque. XTC fits into the tidy category of "bands Chef Jim doesn't like."

Chef I only have one question for you: Would you, could you...in a box? With a fox?

Gosh you guys sure do backtrack mighty fast, before>>> it was XTC sounds like someone skinning a dead cat and need studio tricks to be a real band....whut,whut,whut? Oh so they are not the most inept pieces of garbage to ever lift an instrument? You don't say? Chef Jim intentionally posts the most damning clip that casts them in the worst light but your wonderful guidebook sure has some rather complimentary things to say. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm <_<

Gosh you guys sure do backtrack mighty fast, before>>> it was XTC sounds like someone skinning a dead cat and need studio tricks to be a real band....whut,whut,whut? Oh so they are not the most inept pieces of garbage to ever lift an instrument? You don't say? Chef Jim intentionally posts the most damning clip that casts them in the worst light but your wonderful guidebook sure has some rather complimentary things to say. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :wallbash:

Backtrack? Where have I backtracked. I think I've been pretty consistent. BTW that guidebook has some rather complimentary things to say about Britney Spears too. <_<

Again for the reading impaired, this is not a test of whether a middling new wave band is not composed of good musicians or didn't write some catchy tunes. It's also not a test of whether obscure bands qualify as being influenced by the greatness of XTC, or that Lloyd Cole should merit the mention (on his own or with the Commotions)

The point is that Moulding is far from the most creative bassist on the planet. You could probably walk into a top tier recording studio and find a roster of pro sessions musicians who will blow the snot out of Moulding's head with their musical ability.

Backtrack? Where have I backtracked. I think I've been pretty consistent. BTW that guidebook has some rather complimentary things to say about Britney Spears too. <_<

True not you...still, I have to ask "would you, could you on a boat? With a goat..."

Again for the reading impaired, this is not a test of whether a middling new wave band is not composed of good musicians or didn't write some catchy tunes. It's also not a test of whether obscure bands qualify as being influenced by the greatness of XTC, or that Lloyd Cole should merit the mention (on his own or with the Commotions)

The point is that Moulding is far from the most creative bassist on the planet. You could probably walk into a top tier recording studio and find a roster of pro sessions musicians who will blow the snot out of Moulding's head with their musical ability.

I swear if you use that "middling" term one more time........

......and once more for you my reading impaired friend: Art is not a math equation! Do you understand the meaning of the term hyperbole??? People employ it everyday, like when you say "man, this is the best beer" to proclaim your immediate satisfaction with something that is at hand. Learn, terms! "literal Annie"!!!!!!

The words you posted did not make your case, they were the sword on which you fell.

I swear if you use that "middling" term one more time........

......and once more for you my reading impaired friend: Art is not a math equation! Do you understand the meaning of the term hyperbole??? People employ it everyday, like when you say "man, this is the best beer" to proclaim your immediate satisfaction with something that is at hand. Learn, terms! "literal Annie"!!!!!!

The words you posted did not make your case, they were the sword on which you fell.

Speaking of backtracking