Bills attempting to set up interview w/Leslie Frazier

Beerball

spoke to a Viking PR guy today. he said it was minus 8 at around noon there.

"guess i should consider myself lucky," i said.

then again, i've got a coaching search to deal with, and they've got the playoffs. maybe not so lucky.

jw

Think about what Sean Jensen did -- jumping from the Vikes beat at the PP to the Bears/Sun-Times just before the final game of the season. Higher-profile gig, to be sure, but if Minny goes all the way to the SB ...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not crazy with the coordinator route but I did read something on the official Bills cesspool...errrr...forum that I found encouraging:

I actually had a discussion about Frazier with MasterRWayne last night pertaining to the Broncos. We both agree he will likely get the job, and may lure Raheem Morris to Denver as the DC. Frazier's temperament is ideal for Denver. Let's face it: The Broncos have a lot of cocky dudes on their team who love to talk even though they ain't never won nothing. Guys like Cutler and Marshall need someone even keeled to keep them in line. Frazier fits the bill there. He is very much from the Tony Dungy school of coaching. John Madden once said he was more a Buddy Ryan-style coach.

I must say, I do like the STFU and win something approach.

Here's the full bio: http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?t=213936

Blah. Just a big waste of time. Would rather have Leslie Neilsen as the freaking coach. They shouldn't bother interviewing coordinators. I want Ralph to get Cowher in a room, throw a bag containing $10 million in cash on the table and tell him "You get one of these a year for the next 5 years" and see what happens. Anything less than Cowher, Billick or the Bronze Medal (Marty S.) will be a big disappointment.

What makes you say that? Which name are they interviewing/not interviewing that says "loser" to you?

PTR

I'll be totally honest Promo, if the Bills hire another coordinator who has not proven himself as a head coach then I'll lose it. I just can't stand this string of coordinators who come in, flop and move on in 3 years. I've tried to remain optimistic but this all seems like more of the same.

All of those individuals listed are good coordinators (and one college head coach who everyone on this board has a crush on) but I want someone who's been to the big dance as a head coach before. I would take Billick, with all of his bluster, in a heartbeat over anyone on that list.

I'll be totally honest Promo, if the Bills hire another coordinator who has not proven himself as a head coach then I'll lose it. I just can't stand this string of coordinators who come in, flop and move on in 3 years. I've tried to remain optimistic but this all seems like more of the same.

All of those individuals listed are good coordinators (and one college head coach who everyone on this board has a crush on) but I want someone who's been to the big dance as a head coach before. I would take Billick, with all of his bluster, in a heartbeat over anyone on that list.

Well Jauron was experienced and that was a disaster. Frankly there are few experienced coaches available that I would want. Billick? Pass. Same for Haslett. Marty, sure.

Look around the NFL and you find that 2/3 of the league is coached by first-timers. Most of the Super Bowls won in the last 20 years were won by first-time coaches. Our problem is not the experience level of our hires, it's the person choosing the coach...namely Ralph Wilson Jr. Here's hoping a) Nix knows what he's doing, and b) Ralph leaves him alone and lets him do his job.

PTR

I agree with you but the thing with Jauron coming in was he had a 13-3 year with Chicago and you can blame the rest after that to the new GM in Chicago changing direction. Not saying it's true but Levy looked at it as Jauron was a proven coach.

Well, we know this isn't a Rooney Rule interview since Perry Fewell already fulfills that obligation.

Glazer reported the interest in Frazier a couple of days ago. If he continues to be right, the Bills will eventually ask to interview Grimm and McDermott, too. And possibly Rivera and Schottenheimer the younger.

None of this means Cowher and Schottenheimer the elder don't top the wish list, though.

What is this infatuation with Billick?!? His one Super Bowl ring was gifted to him through the work of his DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR Marvin Lewis, who a team mired in horribleness known as the Bengals hired and lo and behold - aren't a joke anymore.

If it wasn't for Marvin's build defense, Billick flames out as a head coach. Here's a fun fact too. At one point he was an offensive coordinator that someone took a chance on....and ironically, his offenses in Baltimore were terrible. So we want to bring in a guy who couldn't draft a QB, build an offense and get capable receivers to rebuild our mess of an offense?!?

Yeah...that makes a poopload of sense....

priceless to you , clearly you must be 12 ..not even a teenager if i were to guess . Want to know how i know both of you are mere children , children keep going and going and going about something that was resolved already ! :lol::wallbash::lol:

Says the person who keeps going and going and going :lol:

What is this infatuation with Billick?!? His one Super Bowl ring was gifted to him through the work of his DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR Marvin Lewis, who a team mired in horribleness known as the Bengals hired and lo and behold - aren't a joke anymore.

If it wasn't for Marvin's build defense, Billick flames out as a head coach. Here's a fun fact too. At one point he was an offensive coordinator that someone took a chance on....and ironically, his offenses in Baltimore were terrible. So we want to bring in a guy who couldn't draft a QB, build an offense and get capable receivers to rebuild our mess of an offense?!?

Yeah...that makes a poopload of sense....

Blame him for the offense give him no credit for the defense. They had good defenses after Lewis ya know. The GM Newsome loaded up on the defense because he was confident Billick could make it work on O. He won a super bowl with freaking Trent Dilfer at QB.

I'm hearing that while Cowher hasn't said no, the Bills are moving on. Nix is setting up the road show now. Frazier, Rivera, McDermott, even Jim Harbaugh. Who's not on the list? Billick and Haslett. Bottom line: no coaching hire for at least a week.

PTR

No rush - there are no other openings right now.

confirmed that interview will take place Thursday.

jw

Excellent! Thanks so much. In a sea of rumors and speculation, its refreshing to read a report you can actually believe.

Oh... should I be checking flight aware for a Wed eveing flight or a Thurs. morning flight?

Our problem is not the experience level of our hires, it's the person choosing the coach...namely Ralph Wilson Jr. Here's hoping a) Nix knows what he's doing, and b) Ralph leaves him alone and lets him do his job.

PTR

Agree completely. Just because you've missed on coordinators in the past doesn't mean you eliminate them from consideration.

Having said that, count me among those who think the Frazier interview is simply due diligence mixed with a desire to give minority candidates more than the bare minimum consideration required by the rules. Not saying Frazier isn't qualified, but I'd be shocked if he's the Bills' next coach. He just doesn't fit the profile of what we seem to be looking for.

As a side note, I live in the Baltimore area and, believe me, Billick's failings as a coach are not lost on Ravens fans here. The guy was fired for a reason -- year after year of pedestrian offenses. Haven't we seen enough of those in Buffalo?

Agree completely. Just because you've missed on coordinators in the past doesn't mean you eliminate them from consideration.

Having said that, count me among those who think the Frazier interview is simply due diligence mixed with a desire to give minority candidates more than the bare minimum consideration required by the rules. Not saying Frazier isn't qualified, but I'd be shocked if he's the Bills' next coach. He just doesn't fit the profile of what we seem to be looking for.

As a side note, I live in the Baltimore area and, believe me, Billick's failings as a coach are not lost on Ravens fans here. The guy was fired for a reason -- year after year of pedestrian offenses. Haven't we seen enough of those in Buffalo?

If Billick comes to Buffalo and gives us year after year of pedestrian offenses...and a Superbowl victory...I'll consider it an even trade-off