Bills attempting to set up interview w/Leslie Frazier

Beerball

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of ridiculous posts....what does the number of rings Cowher has have to do with my argument that just because a head coach has had previous success that said coach MUST be the head coach of the Buffalo Bills? The crux of my argument against all these pantywaists in an uproar over AN INTERVIEW is that someone gave both Billick and Marvin Lewis a chance to be a head coach in the first place.

Had I known I was going to strike a sensitive nerve on the President of the Brian Billick Fan Club, I probably would have chosen my words differently...

This Billick / Cowher or BUST mentality some people have around here is going to lead to some massive disappointment if the Bills don't hire either one of them.

Me, I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to our NEW GM and see how the offseason and training camps go before I nail him and the new head coach to a cross.

The rest of you can resume building your bomb shelters for if/when the sky falls....

To be fair and since you brought them up Billick and Lewis ran extremely good units, lesile Frazier not so much

This would be a very good choice, IMO. The man has paid his dues in the football world. He has played and studied under some great coaches and defensive minds including Mike Ditka, Buddy Ryan, Jim Johnson, Andy Reid, and Tony Dungy. The Vikings had a good defensive unit, and they have actually improved when he got there. I think he would be a great choice.

I think many Bills fans are leery of guys who have not been head coaches before and for good reason. Both Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey were, at times, in over their heads. I still think both of those guys could be successful if given another shot and both are good football men, but they were not ready for the job when they became the Bills head coach. One important fact about both of those guys that is rarely mentioned when discussing coordinators is the fact that neither man had been a head coach at ANY major level of football. I believe Williams had been the head coach for a high school team for a season before he moved on to the professional ranks. But I do think being the head coach at some level of professional or collegiate football is a major plus anyone trying to be a head coach at the NFL level. I don't think that you need to have been a NFL head coach at some previous point in your career in order to be a successful head coach somewhere else. I have been watching football long enough to know that there have been many successful first time NFL head coaches. And many unsuccessful re-treads.

One major plus for Frazier is that he had been a head coach at the collegiate level for almost 10 years. He was the first head coach at Trinity College and won a couple of championships with that team building that program literally from the ground up. It is a lower tier conference, but I think this is a huge bonus on Frazier's resume and makes him a bit different than your typical hot coordinator candidate.

This would be a very good choice, IMO. The man has paid his dues in the football world. He has played and studied under some great coaches and defensive minds including Mike Ditka, Buddy Ryan, Jim Johnson, Andy Reid, and Tony Dungy. The Vikings had a good defensive unit, and they have actually improved when he got there. I think he would be a great choice.

I think many Bills fans are leery of guys who have not been head coaches before and for good reason. Both Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey were, at times, in over their heads. I still think both of those guys could be successful if given another shot and both are good football men, but they were not ready for the job when they became the Bills head coach. One important fact about both of those guys that is rarely mentioned when discussing coordinators is the fact that neither man had been a head coach at ANY major level of football. I believe Williams had been the head coach for a high school team for a season before he moved on to the professional ranks. But I do think being the head coach at some level of professional or collegiate football is a major plus anyone trying to be a head coach at the NFL level. I don't think that you need to have been a NFL head coach at some previous point in your career in order to be a successful head coach somewhere else. I have been watching football long enough to know that there have been many successful first time NFL head coaches. And many unsuccessful re-treads.

One major plus for Frazier is that he had been a head coach at the collegiate level for almost 10 years. He was the first head coach at Trinity College and won a couple of championships with that team building that program literally from the ground up. It is a lower tier conference, but I think this is a huge bonus on Frazier's resume and makes him a bit different than your typical hot coordinator candidate.

you make a good arguemnt but file me under leery guys

This would be such an uninspiring choice.

I wonder if Frazier is any better of a candidate than Perry Fewell. And I'm not advocating for hiring Fewell. Frazier has had better talent to work with. They're both pretty good coordinators with a good approach to motivating players.

I'm not crazy with the coordinator route but I did read something on the official Bills cesspool...errrr...forum that I found encouraging:

He is very much from the Tony Dungy school of coaching. John Madden once said he was more a Buddy Ryan-style coach.

I must say, I do like the STFU and win something approach.

Here's the full bio: http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?t=213936

I'm not sure what you're saying. Tony Dungy and Buddy Ryan couldn't be more different. Dungy from what I've heard is a soft spoken, cerebral type...more along the lines of Marv.

Last 3 teams that Frazier interviewed for and did not get the job: Detroit, St. Louis, Miami. Ugh.

This doesn't necessarily mean anything, of course.

The guy who really got the job based on the interview, turned it around for himself, is the Steelers HC.

He came in an also ran, left with the job

This is true. Mike Tomlin scored an upset with his interview. So did Greg(g) Williams.

Don't know enough about him but I'm not real excited about the Leslie Frazier stuff.

You know what would instantly put my mind at ease? If Nix was the ONLY person who was going to make this call. I know in the press conference he said that he would be the one to hire the coach...but we all know that's a lie. Russ and Ralph will get a say and probably find a way to screw it up big time.

If Nix was simply interviewing everyone and using his judgment to pick the best possible coach, I would be content with whoever he sees fit to hire. I'd trust him to make the right call. But no, Ralph is more than likely pulling strings and we'll hire the worst possible suitor.

I'd be alright with Frazier as the head coach. They don't necessarily need to hire the "best" coach in the world. They need a guy who gives them "organizational credibility". They put Nix in charge so they can start developing a pipeline of players and improve the talent level. They need a coach who has effective contacts in the NFL that can bring in quality coaches and whom free agents will listen to when he talks to them.

Frazier is better known around the league with a higher profile. Fewell does not have the same level of notoriety. You know who's coming in with Perry and they need someone who can bring in new blood. Frazier can dial up that new blood and start helping the organization on whole build up a better image and make connections that have fallen off as the years have gone on and on.

Cowher and Shanahan (to a lesser extent) are the perfect candidates in that regard. It's not about them being genuises as much as it is about them being able to attract solid coaches and make the connections around the league to get better information. The indications seem that Modrak, Guy, Overdorf (the current braintrust) don't have the level of connections around the league that you'd expect. Brandon is a marketing guy (he seems to realize that they need to *know* football people) so his contacts are like more in that field.

This is a "rebuild". The Bills don't just need a new staff and a few better players, they need a complete re-invention at this point. Heck, even coordinators are turning the Bills down. It's a long road back, but at least, finally, it seems that they recognize that.

I think Frazier can be a part of that (as long as he doesn't talk to certain players on the Vikings defensive roster).

Oh lord, not the Tampax 2 for another 4 years...

I don't care if Monte Kiffin himself is running that D, the Bills don't have Pat Williams in the middle to stop the run and it will more year after year of bad defenses. :thumbdown:

Didn't Nix state the Bills would hire a head coach with previous head coaching experience, one who had a winning record?

Didn't Nix state the Bills would hire a head coach with previous head coaching experience, one who had a winning record?

No, I believe the statement was more along the lines of they would like someone with head coaching experience. Those choices are rather limited.