Brian Billick to interview for head coaching job

d_wag

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of his game-day decisions... :lol:

Fans have to get over this type of thing. Belichick got bum rushed for the 4th and 2 call in Indy.

Some calls go your way and others don't.

And for all of those talking about him developing a QB he didn't draft the QB's for B-more.

Ozzie Newsome did. And all of us would have taken him as GM. He put Dilfer in a position

to win or at least not lose. He adapted to his personnel. That's good coaching. So what if

it was a defensive dominated team? He's still the HC. You think Marvin Lewis was doing

what he wanted to do without input from Billick? No. He ran his game plans past the

HC just like the OC would. Billick is a good coach and would be good for the Bills.

Fans have to get over this type of thing. Belichick got bum rushed for the 4th and 2 call in Indy.

Some calls go your way and others don't.

And for all of those talking about him developing a QB he didn't draft the QB's for B-more.

Ozzie Newsome did. And all of us would have taken him as GM. He put Dilfer in a position

to win or at least not lose. He adapted to his personnel. That's good coaching. So what if

it was a defensive dominated team? He's still the HC. You think Marvin Lewis was doing

what he wanted to do without input from Billick? No. He ran his game plans past the

HC just like the OC would. Billick is a good coach and would be good for the Bills.

Now I will agree 100% with that. I would most definitely take Ozzie over Buddy, and I would also take Belicheck as HC. :lol:

Some calls do go your way & some don't, but patterns do develop over time... and when push came to shove, Billick was wrong more often than not.

Ravens fans here in Baltimore ran him out of town on a rail, they were thrilled when he was finally gone... but if I had to choose between him or friggin' Ron Rivera, he's definitely my pick.

Hey Rico, were practically neighbors, man.

Yeah, I don't really care for his ego which can be associated with arrogance. He reminds me of Mike Martz in his ability to think he is greater than those around him.

If there were 2 hires I would not be interested in, it would be Billick and Martz.

Billick did write an interesting book though. It is called More Than A Game, and has some interesting anecdotes on today's NFL.

I don't know. I guess that I'd be happier with Billick than with Martz.

I think this is one reason why I'd be ok with him. He's passionate and seems to make his players accountable. He ran a great offense in Minnesota and had success as a head coach.

I just don't know why he didn't have a decent offense in Baltimore when that's his background. Was his 1998 year in Minnesota just lucky? Doubtful, but one would think he'd get it right being in one place for so many years.

my thinking is this is more because of Ozzie Newsome. He is a great GM and has hit on a lot of his defensive draftees. But he has whiffed on his skill position offensive players. Whether it was trading for Willis or drafting Boller, his only real qb was a FA signee (mcnair). He hit on Heap, but really no one else. Actually, no i am wrong - he hit big time on J. Lewis and Priest Holmes. Just nothing in way of QB or Receiver. My guess is this is what hurt Billick the most offensively, and he just could not turn Boller into something he wasn't - which is an above average qb.

I'd be interested to see if Billick could do anything with Brohm/Trent. Trent has more tools then Boller did and his issues seem to be entirely en la cabeza. Brohm we know nothing about. in addition, those raven teams usually ran the ball a ton which is out strength. Billick, and I am certain nix, understand the need for great O linemen.

Real quick - i also don't think it surprising the moment Nix comes to this franchise we hit on 3 of our first 4 draft picks. I am also not shocked we suddenly took good offensive linemen with him on board. He knows football. Maybe Modrak always liked those guys but needed to convince Jauron and Guy as well.... Either way - I think we are in good shape... assuming he fires Guy ASAP.

Question: and is Billick really known as a teacher?

Anyone know if that is part of his reputation?

He strikes me as to arrogant to be patient enough to teach. He seems like the kind of incompetent instructor who briefs you on nuclear fusion once and expects you to know it cold after that single meeting.

Question: and is Billick really known as a teacher?

Anyone know if that is part of his reputation?

He strikes me as to arrogant to be patient enough to teach. He seems like the kind of incompetent instructor who briefs you on nuclear fusion once and expects you to know it cold after that single meeting.

he sure couldn't teach Boller

and anyone that thinks Ozzie traded picks to move up and take Boller without significant input from the HC and QB guru is just in denial -

Ladies and Gentlemen, your next head coach of the Buffalo Bills!

http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/BrianBillick2.jpg

I am SO glad I was able to find a reason to bring that picture up again.

And Billick is fine in my books, great football mind and someone who would bring some good coordinators with him.

I like it

He seems like a leader

he seems like a great leader, and he plays towards his teams strengths , he doesnt force things. billick would be a very good hire.

we could also hire billick asap

Leader? Many people in Baltimore and lots of people around the league view him as an arrogant, grandstanding, egotistical blowhard.

they had great d's with mike nolan and rex ryan too.

Yes, they had great defensive personnel...that was the common denominator. Only with the losses of Adalius Thomas, Bart Scott, and the aging of Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and Terrell Suggs have they started their slow defensive demise. But all those coaches had great defensive talent to work with in Baltimore.

Billick is a legend in his own mind. He's a horrible coach. The end of his tenure in Baltimore featured a horrible, unprepared and unmotivated team that gave the Dolphins their only win if I recall correctly. Way to aim high once again Ralph.

I'm not a Billick fan. But just as he had great defensive personnel to work with, he always had average offensive personnel to work with in Baltimore.

In Minnesota, he had excellent offensive personnel.

In other words, his teams seemed to play to their level of talent. I'm not sure an argument can be made that his teams overachieved or that he was some sort of master motivator or exceptional leader. I'm pretty lukewarm about the guy.

Hey Rico, were practically neighbors, man.

Yeah, I don't really care for his ego which can be associated with arrogance. He reminds me of Mike Martz in his ability to think he is greater than those around him.

If there were 2 hires I would not be interested in, it would be Billick and Martz.

Billick did write an interesting book though. It is called More Than A Game, and has some interesting anecdotes on today's NFL.

I don't know. I guess that I'd be happier with Billick than with Martz.

Cool. I'm in Parkville, born & raised in Black Rock/Riverside.

And I don't have a problem with his ego compared to Martz. Billick would be an upgrade over what we had by far, but I just don't see much big-time success if he is in charge.

I'm mixed about Billick. He won the Super bowl and then got rid of the QB that got them there. Many people including myself feel as though he kept the Ravens from winning another one with that move.

He could not evaluate the QB position properly. Never had good receivers after he left Minnesota.

Other than that the guy knows offense. I would be curious on who his DC and OC would be.

Don't discount Rivera. He is a sharp guy that deserves a shot.

I'm warm on Billick. He has the Super Bowl win, he won't be selecting personnel, and he brings in great coordinators that later become head coaches. I wish he were better offensively, but hopefully the new OC will make the difference.

Cowher on Tuesday is wishful thinking, IMO. Would take Shottenheimer over Billick any day.

I like the Buddy Nix move. Can't wait for the draft! :lol:

Billick is a legend in his own mind. He's a horrible coach. The end of his tenure in Baltimore featured a horrible, unprepared and unmotivated team that gave the Dolphins their only win if I recall correctly. Way to aim high once again Ralph.

But that is what you are going to get with these coaches who have prior head coaching experience. Only Cowher went out on top but even then his final season they went 8-8 and didn't make the playoffs and there was a 3 year stretch from 98-00 without playoffs and the Pitt fans calling for his head. Billick, Shanahan, Gruden, they are all available for a reason.

I think this is one reason why I'd be ok with him. He's passionate and seems to make his players accountable. He ran a great offense in Minnesota and had success as a head coach.

I just don't know why he didn't have a decent offense in Baltimore when that's his background. Was his 1998 year in Minnesota just lucky? Doubtful, but one would think he'd get it right being in one place for so many years.

because they shuffled through one QB after another. Started with Vinny, then it was a collection of Jim Harbaugh, Elvis FREEKIN Grbac, Trent Super Bowl MVP Dilfer, Kordell Stewart and others.

obviously the bills will be linked to several coaching candidates. it's nice to see that Buddy Nix is not wasting time performing his due diligence in search of a quality head coach. at this point i still feel that Bill Cowher is the number one choice. Cowher is the person who would garner the most buzz and satisfaction from the fan base. Cowher himself has stated that he is not talking to teams until the season ends, but has sent out feelers of his interest in buffalo and his desire to return to coaching in 2010. Cowher would probably prefer Carolina as he has a home there, but that job is not open as we speak. Tampa is a strong possiblity also, with buffalo certainly in the mix. $10 mil/year is alot of bread. Lookout come Monday.

i myself feel that Nix's personal favorite scenario would be the father son combo of Marty & Brian Schottenheimer. Marty and Nix are extremely close freinds from their days in San Diego, they golf together, go out alot etc... if any scenario could possibly bring Marty back from retirement, working with Nix is the best situation for him as there is a proven track record and comfort zone between the two. I could easily envision an understanding where Marty would be Head Coach for two years and then turn the team over to his son Brian, thereby insuring his son will become an NFL head coach.

All these other interviews are to protect themselves in the event that neither of the above scenarios work out.

some positives

1. his offense in Minn (yes he had Moss and Carter, but he also had Jeff George and 40 yr old Cunningham)

2. the guy won a SB with Dilfer

3. Jamal lewis had a 2000 yd season

5. he hired Marvin Lewis, Nolan and Rex Ryan as d coordinators.

6. Has as many rings as Cowher

With a great Defense and Ozzie helping he kept the ball rolling.

Why not?

I have been reading through these posts and scratching my head a bit......

- With the exception of Bill Cowher who was smart enough to retire while he was on top every single on of these coaches will either be a. An unproven coordinator or b. A coach that was fired for some reason or another

......ever single one of them

- In this thread we are talking about Billick.......who has a winning record as a HC.....has been to a Super Bowl......and has the intensity and fire that most of us like in a coach. It amazes me that we are so quick to tear down a coach who has the credentials we have not had since Marv Levy.

- Are peopel forgetting what we are moving on from? To people realize that we haven't even SEEN the playoffs in ten years......do people realize that Billick has been there....done that.....and knows how to pick coordinators?

I am not saying that Billick is my number one choice........but I will tell you this......if they name him head coach I will be extremely pleased......EXTREMELY pleased.

Now you would have a real football guy as GM....AND.....a HC who at the very least knows how to pick his assistant coaches.

ALL of this is a step up in what we have seen in YEARS with this team.