Tebow looks like a NFL QB tonight

Chuckknox

what a 3-year-old way of having a discussion... failing at shoving your OPINION down throats you resort to name calling and dismissal instead of a simple, mature "agree to disagree until we can make a real conclusion 3-5 years from now".im done in here. Go Bills, and good luck to Tebow where ever he ends up.

Wait, you mean that's not a great way to make your point?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so are you willing to use a top-10 pick on him? a 2nd rounder?

Not for Buffalo, simply because he's going to take a few years to develop. We don't have that kind of time; we need a guy that's going to be ready to play by year 2.

I'll admit though, if he somehow made it to round 2, I'd be very, very tempted.

Wait, you mean that's not a great way to make your point?

I think when it comes to these very passionate discussions (that have absolutely no way of being proven or dis-proven at any point in the near future) it would be helpful to know the college allegiance of each poster. If the poster happens to support a UF rival or even ohio state, it is hard to imagine that the opinion isn't a little tainted.

What is even more head scratching to me is when a member of the media makes a concrete judgment on the future of a player. Today while listening to mad dog radio Scott Wetzel persisted in stating that not only is Tebow a certain failure but that he wouldn't even be drafted or maybe in the 6th or 7th round. While opinions are great, making completely ridiculous statements removes all credibility from that person much like what constantly happens on this board.

It is very safe to say that Tebow will not be a great NFL QB because most college QBs (by a large margin) never become great at the pro level. But conversely, to say with absolute certainty that he will suck is plain ignorance and slanted opinion.

Will Suh be worth his high draft pick, hopefully so.....but it isn't a sure bet. Is 3 tackles against arizona (!) a dominant performance.....hardly....but what does that really mean?

Opinions are great, and they are what this board is all about......but when presented as absolute fact.....they are just plain irritating.

Fingon, I'm curious as to why you are so quick to prove your ignorance when it comes to Tebow...his accuracy is "solidly below average"?

Um, he's 14th in the nation in completion percentage:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statis...t/completionPct

ahead of top prospects like Tony Pike and Ryan Mallet, both of whom you likley rank ahead of Tebow.

He's also 9th in the nation in YPA, a mere 0.2 behind Jimmy Claussen (a likely top 10 pick) and ahead of Pike.

So maybe you can put your witch hunt on hold until you actually have a fact to back up your argument.

And to think, you have the gall to accuse me of "parroting"...

Completion % != accuracy.

I think when it comes to these very passionate discussions (that have absolutely no way of being proven or dis-proven at any point in the near future) it would be helpful to know the college allegiance of each poster. If the poster happens to support a UF rival or even ohio state, it is hard to imagine that the opinion isn't a little tainted.

What is even more head scratching to me is when a member of the media makes a concrete judgment on the future of a player. Today while listening to mad dog radio Scott Wetzel persisted in stating that not only is Tebow a certain failure but that he wouldn't even be drafted or maybe in the 6th or 7th round. While opinions are great, making completely ridiculous statements removes all credibility from that person much like what constantly happens on this board.

It is very safe to say that Tebow will not be a great NFL QB because most college QBs (by a large margin) never become great at the pro level. But conversely, to say with absolute certainty that he will suck is plain ignorance and slanted opinion.

Will Suh be worth his high draft pick, hopefully so.....but it isn't a sure bet. Is 3 tackles against arizona (!) a dominant performance.....hardly....but what does that really mean?

Opinions are great, and they are what this board is all about......but when presented as absolute fact.....they are just plain irritating.

While it is true that there are no guaranteed great draft picks (see Mike Williams, Ryan Leaf, etc.) there are some players that are almost certain to never pan out, because of a skill set or physical characteristics that just don't translate.

Tebow is one of those guys, almost certain to not pan out at the pro level in the NFL. Sorry the truth hurts but there it is, he is not an NFL QB. That said, he fits perfectly in the CFL if I were him I would be leaning in that direction, become a CFL legend like Flutie did, then try a few years at the NFL as a seasoned pro.

Fun player to watch, sorry his career is over, 2 national championships as a starting QB, not many can say that.

The scripture thing in his eye black is really bothersome though and does not make me pull for him, that's for sure. He should keep that nonsense to himself, the holier than though prick.

The scripture thing in his eye black is really bothersome though and does not make me pull for him, that's for sure. He should keep that nonsense to himself, the holier than though prick.

Interesting......I feel the complete opposite. To each their own, I guess. :devil:

He makes his reads very fast and shows great touch on his passes. The long pass looked perfect as well. He's not going to make it out of the first round.

He never looks like he is scared in any game, no matter what happens he looks like he is battling.

He would be a good risk with some good upside.

No way Jose!!!

Would you feel that way if it was the Koran or the Torah he was putting there?

Or Darwin?

Since I agreed with her, I'll answer this myself..........I would definitely be OK with a Koran or Torah quote. What type of quote are you thinking from Darwin?

the question isn't whether Tebow is worthy of getting a shot, its when its worth it to draft him. The problem is that he will be overdrafted so that means if we want him on the team we have to draft him WAY too early.

too many posters that love Tebow talk about his throwing mechanics as if they can be easily corrected. They just can't be. Most likely he's been trying to correct his mechanics for three+ years and its still not up to NFL caliber - as Jimmy Johnson and many many NFL folks have said. He'll likely be a turnover machine in the NFL if he can't correct it.

Also he's just not fast enough to be a major threat in the running game like a Vince Young. He's kind of like a David Garrard but with Leftwitchesque mechanics and Penningtonesque arm strength.

I disagree with this. He has been over-analyzed and picked apart more than any other prospect, similar to Michael Oher. His arm strength is light years better than Pennington. Tebow was throwing lasers last night all over the field, regardless of how good the defenders were. Like any college player, you have to look at what he can be at the NFL level, not what he was asked to do or what system he ran in college. He does have Leftwich mechanics, but I think he has a better chance to overcome that than Leftwich because Leftwich is a poor athlete and not a hard worker as evidenced by his weight problems. I wouldn't have a problem taking Tebow in the 1st round once the super-blue chippers are gone, like Suh, McCoy, and maybe some of the Left Tackles.

I'm amused by some of these "mechanics can be fixed" and "he'll fine with a good QB coach" type comments.

You could be right, I guess, but I'd like to see some examples to back up these assertions. We're talking about drafting a QB that has to learn HOW TO THROW. Do we have any examples of QBs whose mechanics sucked in college becoming successful in the NFL? I honestly don't know and would like to see some data.

It might not be so easy to develop him as some think.

While it is true that there are no guaranteed great draft picks (see Mike Williams, Ryan Leaf, etc.) there are some players that are almost certain to never pan out, because of a skill set or physical characteristics that just don't translate.

Tebow is one of those guys, almost certain to not pan out at the pro level in the NFL. Sorry the truth hurts but there it is, he is not an NFL QB. That said, he fits perfectly in the CFL if I were him I would be leaning in that direction, become a CFL legend like Flutie did, then try a few years at the NFL as a seasoned pro.

Fun player to watch, sorry his career is over, 2 national championships as a starting QB, not many can say that.

Wow, some things just fall on deaf ears.

Opinion does not equal absolute truth......even when you say it in a condescending manner.

Guys like Tebow are winners wherever they go, despite poor mechanics. 2 very good examples of Qb's that were tremendous leaders in college football with similar skill sets are Vick and Young, both of these guys have below average throwing skills and mechanics but just find ways to win, both in college football and the pro's, and I wouldn't expect anything different out of Tebow.

If he is available in the second round, we should definitely pick him up.

I'm amused by some of these "mechanics can be fixed" and "he'll fine with a good QB coach" type comments.

You could be right, I guess, but I'd like to see some examples to back up these assertions. We're talking about drafting a QB that has to learn HOW TO THROW. Do we have any examples of QBs whose mechanics sucked in college becoming successful in the NFL? I honestly don't know and would like to see some data.

It might not be so easy to develop him as some think.

Bernie Kosar......never fixed his mechanics or delivery......successful nonetheless. Just the first example that popped in my head.

Some on this board have said that the Bills should pick Pike. I do not agree. Nevertheless, compare the protection each QB is getting.

Gee, I wonder if there is a correlation between good protection and effective QB play.

As an aside, it is hard not to admire Tebow. Yet, take a look at where he starts his motion. The funny thing is, as I recall, UF hired a former NFL QB coach in the off season to help improve his mechanics. I guess that did not happen.

I wonder...

Bernie Kosar......never fixed his mechanics or delivery......successful nonetheless. Just the first example that popped in my head.

Randall Cunningham had a slow wind-up release that reminded you of a windmill. It didn't slow him down.

Sometimes, I think teams get in trouble trying to change their throwing motion. In Tebow's case, the kid has thrown for about 9,000 yards and 90 TD passes in one of the best conferences in college football. That may not guarantee he'll succeed at the NFL level, but its gotten him this far and they may as well let him sink or swim with it rather than throwing one more thing at him as a rookie.