Tebow looks like a NFL QB tonight

Chuckknox

Yes, because Billick was known throughout the league for his keen eye for QB talent (Grbac, Tony Banks, and his greatest find--Kyle Boller).

Anyway....

When people are saying Tebow has problems with accuracy, exactly what are they judging him on? He has thrown for over 80 TDs in 3 seasons and has a career completion rate of 66%. Where's the inaccuracy hidden in there?

My favorite comment is "Quit being so impressed by quarterbacks surrounded by great talent." You're right--Peyton Manning, Brees and Warner have "bust written all over them".

aye, aye, aye.

Anyway--take a look at the great talent surrounding Tebow: not one WR in the top 50, not a RB in the top 50.

i honestly believe that at this point, all the talk is just people hating on him for no other reason than boredom/jealousy/they just want someone to knock down. it makes no sense if youve actually watched him play over the last few years.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which from most accounts he does not.

Name one of those supposed accounts.

I've never seen anyone question his arm strength; throwing motion maybe, but not arm strength.

The fact that people want to write off someone who has been as successful as Tebow, simply because he has an akward throwing motion and played in a system that is becoming more prevalent in the NFL each season, is crazy IMO.

He's a winner. His acccuracy is excellent (at least 64% every season), and his YPA is better than that of Peyton Manning's career college YPA.

Reality check here guys: he's an excellent athlete who's been incredibly successful at QB, has a great attitude and tons of determination, and is very coachable. What part of that sounds bad?

I am not sold on Tebow. I love the work ethic and attitude with a winning track record, but I just don't see an

NFL caliber passer when I look at him. I see a guy with a slow unorthadox delivery that does not have a strong

arm on top of it. I also see a player who hasn't had to read complex defenses and make throws into tight windows

because his receivers are often wide open.

Now, I wouldn't necessarily bet against him with his attitude, desire and effort to succeed, but I would not spend a

1st round pick on him.

Name one of those supposed accounts.

I've never seen anyone question his arm strength; throwing motion maybe, but not arm strength.

The fact that people want to write off someone who has been as successful as Tebow, simply because he has an akward throwing motion and played in a system that is becoming more prevalent in the NFL each season, is crazy IMO.

He's a winner. His acccuracy is excellent (at least 64% every season), and his YPA is better than that of Peyton Manning's career college YPA.

Reality check here guys: he's an excellent athlete who's been incredibly successful at QB, has a great attitude and tons of determination, and is very coachable. What part of that sounds bad?

Tebow's accuracy is solidly below average for a college QB. That is indisputable. He has an above-average arm, but it's nothing special, and his throwing motion is horrid.

You can parrot his completion percentage all you want, but the fact is that he isn't very accurate. He can hit wide open guys, but struggles to position the ball correctly, and throws many passes that will be batted down or picked in the NFL.

Which from most accounts he does not.

This is another typical comment.

Brother, did you watch the game last night?

31/35, 483 yards. 3 TDs. Against the #3 team in the country. While watching the game, were you struck by your concern with his accuracy or arm strength.

You can't, objectively (or honestly), say you were.

When "most accounts" had JPL as the top draft prospect after his junior year, what do you think they were looking at? How about Jamarcus Russell? I'll stop there--we could be here for days listing the busts and inaccurately dismissed stars in this league.

This is another typical comment.

Brother, did you watch the game last night?

31/35, 483 yards. 3 TDs. Against the #3 team in the country. While watching the game, were you struck by your concern with his accuracy or arm strength.

You can't, objectively (or honestly), say you were.

When "most accounts" had JPL as the top draft prospect after his junior year, what do you think they were looking at? How about Jamarcus Russell? I'll stop there--we could be here for days listing the busts and inaccurately dismissed stars in this league.

Why should NFL teams even scout players? Why should they even rank them? Tebow's fanboys' arguments are that someone should take him because he's a winner. Why shouldn't NFL teams just draft the entire roster of the National Championship winning team? After all... how they project to the NFL doesn't matter. "Heart" and the "ability to win" are all that matters.

Tebow's accuracy is solidly below average for a college QB. That is indisputable. He has an above-average arm, but it's nothing special, and his throwing motion is horrid.

You can parrot his completion percentage all you want, but the fact is that he isn't very accurate. He can hit wide open guys, but struggles to position the ball correctly, and throws many passes that will be batted down or picked in the NFL.

i dispute that statement. again, not saying its anything great, but not as horrible as you make it sound.

then you say he has an "ABOVE-AVERAGE" arm, but its nothing special?!? Above average means something better than the rest, and therefore a little special.

again, im not saying he is definitely going to be a HOFer, but you are writing him off WAAAAY too early for reasons that are nothing more than opinion. ive seen almost every one of Tebows games from down here, and have seen him make plenty of tough, accurate throws. he misses sometimes, sure, but that is what being 21 and an amateur is all about. the potential is there, you have to agree with that. and he can chuck it deep when he has to.

you write your analysis like there is no room to grow and there is no chance he'll get better. thats a bit ridiculous for arguing an opinion about what might happen in the future.

Tebow's off the charts leadership and running/scrambling in the pocket ability is enough to sell me on..we havent had a QB with that combination of intangibles ever. The delivery stuff/mechanics can be worked on.

He's a winner. I look at Tim Tebow and I can't see failure.

This site is littered with comments like this---usually stated as fact instead of, more accurately, as opinion (e.g. "The sky is green.").

He certainly seems to position the football in the hands of his receivers very well---and with frequency. Unless next year's NFL players can leap 20 feet in the air, I didn't see "many passes" that would have been "batted down".

Why should NFL teams even scout players? Why should they even rank them? Tebow's fanboys' arguments are that someone should take him because he's a winner. Why shouldn't NFL teams just draft the entire roster of the National Championship winning team? After all... how they project to the NFL doesn't matter. "Heart" and the "ability to win" are all that matters.

the "fanboys" in this thread are NOT saying he will DEFINITELY be great, like you guys are saying he will DEFINTELY bust.

we're just saying he has some great talent already and could be groomed into a great player given the right situation.

ive already stated that his mechanics need a LOT of work. that doesnt mean he's definitely destined to fail. not sure what you are trying to prove in this thread.

Tebow's off the charts leadership and running/scrambling in the pocket ability is enough to sell me on..we havent had a QB with that combination of intangibles ever. The delivery stuff/mechanics can be worked on.

He's a winner. I look at Tim Tebow and I can't see failure.

Look harder.

I would love to bet on this guy's NFL future with some of you. He is a really really great college player. He will be an excellent Crystal Cathedral minister soon bilking the dumb masses.

He is not going to be an NFL qb.

CFL I think he can be an all timer, though.

This site is littered with comments like this---usually stated as fact instead of, more accurately, as opinion (e.g. "The sky is green.").

He certainly seems to position the football in the hands of his receivers very well---and with frequency Unless next year's NFL players can leap 20 feet in the air, I didn't see "many passes" that would have been "batted down".

You are clearly a delusional Tebow fan boy. No amount of scouting reports, expert opinions, or analysis on Tebow will change your mind.

You are clearly a delusional Tebow fan boy. No amount of scouting reports, expert opinions, or analysis on Tebow will change your mind.

what a 3-year-old way of having a discussion... failing at shoving your OPINION down throats you resort to name calling and dismissal instead of a simple, mature "agree to disagree until we can make a real conclusion 3-5 years from now".

im done in here. Go Bills, and good luck to Tebow where ever he ends up.

the "fanboys" in this thread are NOT saying he will DEFINITELY be great, like you guys are saying he will DEFINTELY bust.

Amen.

I don't think any of us that are defending him are saying that he's a 'can't miss' prospect. He certainly is not. He's not a first round prospect and maybe not a second, either. He has a number of flaws and he's going to be a project, but there's more natural talent there than his detractors want to admit and there's no doubt in my mind that he can make it in the NFL as a QB if he gets in the right situation with good coaching and he himself is willing to put in the effort to address his weaknesses.

the question isn't whether Tebow is worthy of getting a shot, its when its worth it to draft him. The problem is that he will be overdrafted so that means if we want him on the team we have to draft him WAY too early.

too many posters that love Tebow talk about his throwing mechanics as if they can be easily corrected. They just can't be. Most likely he's been trying to correct his mechanics for three+ years and its still not up to NFL caliber - as Jimmy Johnson and many many NFL folks have said. He'll likely be a turnover machine in the NFL if he can't correct it.

Also he's just not fast enough to be a major threat in the running game like a Vince Young. He's kind of like a David Garrard but with Leftwitchesque mechanics and Penningtonesque arm strength.

Clearly you missed my very simple point about scouting. I am not arguing there should be no scouting (this was your rudimentary way of avoiding the work of a thoughtful reply to my issue of how you dscribe "accuracy")--just that scouting--particularly regarding QBs, is sometimes horribly wrong.

Not surprisingly (as it would destroy your tenuous position), you have yet to acknowledge this. The guy puts an exclamation point on the best season a QB has had in D I against a top ranked team (how's Tony Pike look now, boys?) and you actually SAW a guy who struggled with accuracy?

Or did the scouts you are referring to tell you this.

I really don't care if the Bills pass on Tebow--they need a vet starting next year (no one currently on the team). So I'm hardly a "fanboy"---but I can see why, for your argument to hold even an ounce of weight, I would have to be.

He makes his reads very fast and shows great touch on his passes. The long pass looked perfect as well. He's not going to make it out of the first round.

He never looks like he is scared in any game, no matter what happens he looks like he is battling.

He would be a good risk with some good upside.

I agree. As a devout Bills fan, I would love to see the Bills pick up Tebow. Everything in the NFl is a risk, especially in the drafting department. There is no guage to measure a collegiate players success in the NFL. Look at Tom Brady or Curt Werner. Brady wasn't even near the first round and werner was signed after a short career stocking shelves. But both quarterbacks lead their teams to super bowl championships.

That being said, Buddy Nix stressed the philosophy of having a head coach who is a great teacher. If we drafted Tebow and surrounded him by good teachers and hard working players, he will naturally accel. His mechanics are something that can be corrected and learned. His devout passion and never quit mentality as a leader is something that cannot be taught. I strongly believe that Tebow would thrive in the NFL and would make the entire team around him more closely knit and better on the field, as long as he was guided by the right coach and put in an environment designed to challenge a player to succeed.

Fingon, I'm curious as to why you are so quick to prove your ignorance when it comes to Tebow...his accuracy is "solidly below average"?

Um, he's 14th in the nation in completion percentage:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statis...t/completionPct

ahead of top prospects like Tony Pike and Ryan Mallet, both of whom you likley rank ahead of Tebow.

He's also 9th in the nation in YPA, a mere 0.2 behind Jimmy Claussen (a likely top 10 pick) and ahead of Pike.

So maybe you can put your witch hunt on hold until you actually have a fact to back up your argument.

And to think, you have the gall to accuse me of "parroting"...

As a devout Bills fan, I would love to see the Bills pick up Tebow. Everything in the NFl is a risk, especially in the drafting department. There is no guage to measure a collegiate players success in the NFL. Look at Tom Brady or Curt Werner. Brady wasn't even near the first round and werner was signed after a short career stocking shelves. But both quarterbacks lead their teams to super bowl championships.

That being said, Buddy Nix stressed the philosophy of having a head coach who is a great teacher. If we drafted Tebow and surrounded him by good teachers and hard working players, he will naturally accel. His mechanics are something that can be corrected and learned. His devout passion and never quit mentality as a leader is something that cannot be taught. I strongly believe that Tebow would thrive in the NFL and would make the entire team around him more closely knit and better on the field, as long as he was guided by the right coach and put in an environment designed to challenge a player to succeed.