Who was the other "in house" candidate? John Guy?

BADOLBILZ

Who was the other in-house candidate? I think the fact that it came down to TWO in-house guys for an organization that is all kinds of f*cked up is more damning than the fact that Nix was hired(who has only been part of the decade of fail for one offseason). Who could POSSIBLY be a second candidate from this mess? I say the candidate was the barftastic John Guy. He's like the Chuck Lester of personnel men, he's on scholarship. Modrak doesn't want to be a GM so that's almost certainly not the other candidate. Who else?

I liked the Buddy Nix hiring as a scout last winter, but this is so reminiscent of many other FAIL moves by the Bills in the past decade.

Marv didn't want the job, but thought about it and became intrigued. Same with Buddy. He's a real personnel man, but what happened to "once you start thinking about retiring, you are retired"? How has having a semi-retired, previously successful, Tom Modrak basically as the top football guy in the organization worked out?

And in the PC it was PAINFULLY clear nobody was on the same page. I don't want to throw a wet blanket on every move, but as much as there is to like about Buddy and his past, there is equally as much, if not more, to not like about this move.

God forbid the Bills further embarrass their fanbase, but would it EVEN SURPRISE anybody if Nix resigned in a week, saying that he reconsidered and decided that he didn't have the energy for such a big job? Seriously, this is a job for a younger man. Buddy should be an assistant to a younger man. Sorry to be age prejudiced, but this is a 16-18 hour a day job, not just a cruise control situation.

For this move to work, I think Nix is going to have to hit a HR with a proven HC like Cowher or Marty. I don't see a 35 year old first time HC teaming up with a 70 year old GM and leading the Bills to a decade of dominance as Jim Kelly is hoping. And if this turns into Buddy Nix and a proven loser like coach Hayzlit.......ehhh.

Nothing we can do but wait and see.....but so far it looks just like the same garbage we've been fed for the past decade.

Modrak was the other candidate. John Guy was the "Rooney Rule" interview and will probably be let go now. Guy was never gfoing to be GM so get over yourself.

PTR

Exactly correct. Looks like it's gonna be a miserable New Year for several of the posters here. The negativity is truly staggering.

Tangent: Someone in the NFL Head Office needs to re-think this "Rooney Rule". It's insulting on so many levels. To live and breathe football your whole life, rise through the ranks of coaching or managing teams with your skill and knowledge, and then finally get offered an interview by an NFL team, only to hear all the voices whispering that you were only bought in to fulfill some sort of "token black" rule, so the team can check it off their list and quickly get to the guy they "really want"? :censored:

Tangent: Someone in the NFL Head Office needs to re-think this "Rooney Rule". It's insulting on so many levels. To live and breathe football your whole life, rise through the ranks of coaching or managing teams with your skill and knowledge, and then finally get offered an interview by an NFL team, only to hear all the voices whispering that you were only bought in to fulfill some sort of "token black" rule, so the team can check it off their list and quickly get to the guy they "really want"? :censored:

What the Redskins are doing is totally slapping the face of the rule. 1st they interview somebody to be GM to comply with the rule-someone we never heard about-was he even qualified or was he possibly a player's dad. Next they have to comply with the rule in order to bring Shanahan in next week, so they have already interviewed Jerry Gray. Gray doesn't feel insulted. 1) because it gets his name out there 2)because he's an idiot.

There is one time the Rooney Rule that worked. The guy who invented it practiced what he preached. Rooney had two viable in house candidates he could have easily hired, given a token interview to Jerry Gray, hired either Whisenhunt or Grimm, who have helped turn around Arizona, won last year's Super Bowl, and nobody would have batted an eye. Instead the Rooneys took their own rule seriously, interviewed with an open mind, brought in a qualified candidate, hired the guy & won a Super Bowl with him. Right now, the only team I've seen that really used the Rooney Rule correctly was Pittsburgh. Other teams that have hired minority coaches would have hired the same guy without the Rooney Rule. Just like the Washingtons of the NFL will pick their guys before the process & then bring an idiot like Jerry Gray in for an interview. Just like the Bills had to interview John Guy, a guy who shouldn't be in the NFL in any capacity, and if they want a big name like Cowher, have to interview Perry Fewell before signing Cowher. Unless they're talking the salary part, there's no way Perry Fewell can out interview Cowher. All Cowher has to do is point to his Super Bowl ring & he's already got Perry beat.

What the Redskins are doing is totally slapping the face of the rule. 1st they interview somebody to be GM to comply with the rule-someone we never heard about-was he even qualified or was he possibly a player's dad. Next they have to comply with the rule in order to bring Shanahan in next week, so they have already interviewed Jerry Gray. Gray doesn't feel insulted. 1) because it gets his name out there 2)because he's an idiot.

There is one time the Rooney Rule that worked. The guy who invented it practiced what he preached. Rooney had two viable in house candidates he could have easily hired, given a token interview to Jerry Gray, hired either Whisenhunt or Grimm, who have helped turn around Arizona, won last year's Super Bowl, and nobody would have batted an eye. Instead the Rooneys took their own rule seriously, interviewed with an open mind, brought in a qualified candidate, hired the guy & won a Super Bowl with him. Right now, the only team I've seen that really used the Rooney Rule correctly was Pittsburgh. Other teams that have hired minority coaches would have hired the same guy without the Rooney Rule. Just like the Washingtons of the NFL will pick their guys before the process & then bring an idiot like Jerry Gray in for an interview. Just like the Bills had to interview John Guy, a guy who shouldn't be in the NFL in any capacity, and if they want a big name like Cowher, have to interview Perry Fewell before signing Cowher. Unless they're talking the salary part, there's no way Perry Fewell can out interview Cowher. All Cowher has to do is point to his Super Bowl ring & he's already got Perry beat.

Just a slight twist to history. The Rooneys were pretty much set on going in-house and in order to comply to their own rule, decided to bring in a minority candidate. The success of the rule is that he blew them off the face of the earth with his interview that they went ahead and picked him over Grimm. Let us not try to give credit to the Rooneys too much here.

Just a slight twist to history. The Rooneys were pretty much set on going in-house and in order to comply to their own rule, decided to bring in a minority candidate. The success of the rule is that he blew them off the face of the earth with his interview that they went ahead and picked him over Grimm. Let us not try to give credit to the Rooneys too much here.

yeah- they were set enough to actually tell Grimm he had the job,after already meeting the Rooney Rule.

then they mysteriously changed their mind.

hard to believe Goodell did not give the Rooney's a call and tell them to walk the walk, since they proposed the rule in the first place.

Who was the other in-house candidate? I think the fact that it came down to TWO in-house guys for an organization that is all kinds of f*cked up is more damning than the fact that Nix was hired(who has only been part of the decade of fail for one offseason). Who could POSSIBLY be a second candidate from this mess? I say the candidate was the barftastic John Guy. He's like the Chuck Lester of personnel men, he's on scholarship. Modrak doesn't want to be a GM so that's almost certainly not the other candidate. Who else?

I liked the Buddy Nix hiring as a scout last winter, but this is so reminiscent of many other FAIL moves by the Bills in the past decade.

Marv didn't want the job, but thought about it and became intrigued. Same with Buddy. He's a real personnel man, but what happened to "once you start thinking about retiring, you are retired"? How has having a semi-retired, previously successful, Tom Modrak basically as the top football guy in the organization worked out?

And in the PC it was PAINFULLY clear nobody was on the same page. I don't want to throw a wet blanket on every move, but as much as there is to like about Buddy and his past, there is equally as much, if not more, to not like about this move.

God forbid the Bills further embarrass their fanbase, but would it EVEN SURPRISE anybody if Nix resigned in a week, saying that he reconsidered and decided that he didn't have the energy for such a big job? Seriously, this is a job for a younger man. Buddy should be an assistant to a younger man. Sorry to be age prejudiced, but this is a 16-18 hour a day job, not just a cruise control situation.

For this move to work, I think Nix is going to have to hit a HR with a proven HC like Cowher or Marty. I don't see a 35 year old first time HC teaming up with a 70 year old GM and leading the Bills to a decade of dominance as Jim Kelly is hoping. And if this turns into Buddy Nix and a proven loser like coach Hayzlit.......ehhh.

Nothing we can do but wait and see.....but so far it looks just like the same garbage we've been fed for the past decade.

these are all EXTREMELY FAIR and valid points! that press conference WAS ridiculous, and if i am Bill cowher watching that thing I am definitely rethinking my "interest" in Buffalo. Bless his old greedy miserly heart, but Ralph looks like he has a year or two left at the very most. I almost laughed out loud when he spoke about Nix being a guy "we have needed for a long LONG time!" like it was some sort of epiphany that only he could have some up with that we needed a real GM and not a beancounter.

If Ralph gets lucky and this turns out to be a great hire I'll be thrilled. But this stinks of Ralph's propensity toward lazy cheap hires.

Until proven otherwise, this is a big rudderless ship. And I will continue to believe that this team has zero chance of being really good again until he's no longer the owner.

these are all EXTREMELY FAIR and valid points! that press conference WAS ridiculous, and if i am Bill cowher watching that thing I am definitely rethinking my "interest" in Buffalo. Bless his old greedy miserly heart, but Ralph looks like he has a year or two left at the very most. I almost laughed out loud when he spoke about Nix being a guy "we have needed for a long LONG time!" like it was some sort of epiphany that only he could have some up with that we needed a real GM and not a beancounter.

If Ralph gets lucky and this turns out to be a great hire I'll be thrilled. But this stinks of Ralph's propensity toward lazy cheap hires.

Until proven otherwise, this is a big rudderless ship. And I will continue to believe that this team has zero chance of being really good again until he's no longer the owner.

Some will say that with enough money any HC (and staff) will come ... but I don't think so. One interesting thing to watch on the Buddy Nix hiring is what affect, if any, will it have on attracting top front-office talent. The GM isn't just a draftnik, though that IS an extremely important element of the job.

How does the HC candidate pool react to this? Haslett could care less - he might coach here if Pee Wee Herman were GM - but how does this influence others? What does the move say (or reiterate) about how the Bills do things?

Perhaps Buddy is widely respected among insiders, I have no idea, but I wonder how many other NFL teams coveted him on their GM wish lists .......

Modrak was the other candidate. John Guy was the "Rooney Rule" interview and will probably be let go now. Guy was never gfoing to be GM so get over yourself.

PTR

Get over myself? Says the guy with 9000 posts? A typical scatterbrained response from you. One minute you are cursing the organization, the next you are going so far as to make up imaginary scenarios to defend them and espouse it as fact.

Did Ralph tell you that Guy was considered a "Rooney Rule" hire? According to Ralph, it came down to two candidates and Buddy just had a little more experience than the other guy. If it came down to experience between Modrak and Buddy Nix.....Modrak has far more executive scouting experience. He was a an executive scout in Pittsburgh for a decade before Buddy ever got hired and promoted from regional status in SD. And Modrak has made it clear in the past that he does not want the GM job, he does not want to move to Buffalo and be at OBD to work every day. Modrak was almost certainly not the "other guy". Who's your source, your colon?

Get over myself? Says the guy with 9000 posts? A typical scatterbrained response from you. One minute you are cursing the organization, the next you are going so far as to make up imaginary scenarios to defend them and espouse it as fact.

Did Ralph tell you that Guy was considered a "Rooney Rule" hire? According to Ralph, it came down to two candidates and Buddy just had a little more experience than the other guy. If it came down to experience between Modrak and Buddy Nix.....Modrak has far more executive scouting experience. He was a an executive scout in Pittsburgh for a decade before Buddy ever got hired and promoted from regional status in SD. And Modrak has made it clear in the past that he does not want the GM job, he does not want to move to Buffalo and be at OBD to work every day. Modrak was almost certainly not the "other guy". Who's your source, your colon?

Ralph tells me as much as he tells you, Mister 225 posts.

PTR

There were no other outside the organization candidates considered. We know this because none were interviewed and the NFL regular season hasn't yet concluded. It doesn't matter if they had a list. Nix said this was a whirlwind thing, which I'm guessing started within the past week and grew. They made their decision in the past 10 days, which leaves little time.

There is no question they had no intention of going outside the organization.

There were no other outside the organization candidates considered. We know this because none were interviewed and the NFL regular season hasn't yet concluded. It doesn't matter if they had a list. Nix said this was a whirlwind thing, which I'm guessing started within the past week and grew. They made their decision in the past 10 days, which leaves little time.

There is no question they had no intention of going outside the organization.

The Bills felt if they were going to target Cowher they had to have a GM in place now.

PTR

Exactly correct. Looks like it's gonna be a miserable New Year for several of the posters here. The negativity is truly staggering.

The negativity is staggering? Check your avatar. Why do you have that? It's the epitome of fan outrage. That's a negative. Are you pleased with Ralph's handling of football operations the past decade? He's fired 4 HC's and hopefully an interim in the past decade, on his 4th GM(if you count Russ)......clearly Ralph is as incompetent(more) as his hires when it comes to putting a winning team on the field. I am LITERALLY just pointing out the obvious. I'm all for optimism, but it needs to be warranted more than change for change sake.

If that's being negative then so be it but don't even pretend that you know it has some affect on me or anyone else outside of just being a hobby. Other than the little time I spend here or actually watching the putrid product the Bills put on the field, it's inconsequential. If the losing and negativity bring you down personally, you need to broaden your horizons.