I can honestly say now that I look forward to the draft

Even if you dont like his lack of GM experience.....this is one area we need to be extremely excited about.....he has scouted the upcoming players as a scout now he will have say on who is drafted......

I eagerly await

Me too. I am confident that we will pick well and with a purpose. I am excited.

Uh with Modrak and Guy still here you think anything is changing? Now if Modrak, guy etal are fired and Nix brings in the entire SD scouting dept, maybe we do well.

You have no idea who was in charge of the Bills war room nor do you know who was calling the shots for the last three years. Modrak was highly thought of during his time in Philly and those idiots bitched when he drafted McNabb. Why don't you give him a year before you start your annual B word and whine parade.

Well, that's the exact point isn't it? If we let the same guy calling the shots (ie, Wilson) call the shots when our pick comes around, then we'll be exactly where we started.

If we let the talent evaluators have the final say, we'll be fine. This run an org by committee thing has to end. Nix has to nix all that. He has to say, "We can all have our opinions, but me and coach are deciding."

You have no idea who was in charge of the Bills war room nor do you know who was calling the shots for the last three years. Modrak was highly thought of during his time in Philly and those idiots bitched when he drafted McNabb. Why don't you give him a year before you start your annual B word and whine parade.

I understand your point. His title is director of college scouting - but maybe Ralph/Dick have come in and said "I want Maybin" "I want Whitner" etc. IF that were the case then Modrak needs a set of nuts. He is the chief scout. He spend 364 days a year preparing for that one day. If he cannot tell some medling owner or BS coach to F off because the player they want blows then I dont want him running the draft room - no matter how good he may be. As head of scouting the axe falls on his neck.

I understand your point. His title is director of college scouting - but maybe Ralph/Dick have come in and said "I want Maybin" "I want Whitner" etc. IF that were the case then Modrak needs a set of nuts. He is the chief scout. He spend 364 days a year preparing for that one day. If he cannot tell some medling owner or BS coach to F off because the player they want blows then I dont want him running the draft room - no matter how good he may be. As head of scouting the axe falls on his neck.

The problem is that it was probably never Modrak's call to begin with. His job isn't to actually draft players, but merely to scout them. I doubt he has ever had any more authority than to suggest a certain pick to Ralph Wilson, Marv Levy/Russ Brandon and Dick Jauron, and if they choose not to follow his advice, there's not much he can do about it.

That's just it, this franchise always has an out when it comes to draft picks. Now, they can say it was DJ's fault whenever something goes awry.

Modrak has been part and parcel of each draft since 2001. So naturally he doesn't get any blame because TD was here. We've had him for 9 seasons now, so his book is pretty much written. We've give him 9 years, 4 of which weren't with TD. Does that mean those 4 can be blamed on DJ?

See a trend here? Only the guy who's not here is to blame.

Even if you dont like his lack of GM experience.....this is one area we need to be extremely excited about.....he has scouted the upcoming players as a scout now he will have say on who is drafted......

I eagerly await

Are you sure it was him that was the top guy for SD or was it AJ Smith? I am still awaiting proof of how much Nix really did for SD. Yeah he is an SEC Scout, so what? That doesn't make you GM material

Are you sure it was him that was the top guy for SD or was it AJ Smith? I am still awaiting proof of how much Nix really did for SD. Yeah he is an SEC Scout, so what? That doesn't make you GM material

AJ Smith's background has always been in scouting pro personnel, Nix's was in college scouting where he was under Dwight Adams. Then both moved to SD with Butler, and if anyone who doesn't engage in revisionist memory would recall that Butler's first few years of drafts & FA acquisitions in SD were disasters (There's a reason you get to pick at the top of the draft for a few years in a row). Butler & Co also weren't very good in their head coach selections. Interestingly that Chargers got much better when Smith became GM and Nix was in charge of pro & college personnel.

BTW, why should you need proof now when it never stopped you from ranting before?

We have given him 9 years, he sucks time to move on

AJ Smith's background has always been in scouting pro personnel, Nix's was in college scouting where he was under Dwight Adams. Then both moved to SD with Butler, and if anyone who doesn't engage in revisionist memory would recall that Butler's first few years of drafts & FA acquisitions in SD were disasters (There's a reason you get to pick at the top of the draft for a few years in a row). Butler & Co also weren't very good in their head coach selections. Interestingly that Chargers got much better when Smith became GM and Nix was in charge of pro & college personnel.

BTW, why should you need proof now when it never stopped you from ranting before?

I want to see the proof. Seems the fans of Nix being promoted think he is the reason the chargers are so good. Something about so many of his draft picks being pro bowlers. Well if they were his picks then he ran the draft for them.

And you bring up another point, who is going to handle free agency? As you said that is not Nix's nitch. Surely we aren't keeping John Guy and modrak to do that.

I want to see the proof. Seems the fans of Nix being promoted think he is the reason the chargers are so good. Something about so many of his draft picks being pro bowlers. Well if they were his picks then he ran the draft for them.

Well, you see, I don't know what kind of proof you want, but I guess I can explain to you how the nfl and football works. Now, there is this thing called the draft. The one who makes the final decision on the draft choices is well, the GM. In san diego, when ALL those pro bowlers came into the team, buddy nix was the assistant GM and Director of Player Personnel. Now, I am not a genius or anything, but most people would understand that he was 2nd in command on those draft choices, and thus, being a MAJOR player on those choices. If you need more proof than that, like warroom footage, then you must be one of those conspiricy nuts that bitches about the moon landing.

And you bring up another point, who is going to handle free agency? As you said that is not Nix's nitch. Surely we aren't keeping John Guy and modrak to do that.

What proof do you want on December 31, 2009?

That Chargers drafts and street free agent signings from 2001 through 2008 have been head and shoulders above what Bills have done over that time?

What more could you ask for before the guy even had a chance to arrange his office furniture? If Bills had signed Gettelman what proof do you have of his GM credentials?

We will have to wait & see how the Bills draft & how S.D. drafts this year. That should give us a fair idea of Nix's ability.

I eagerly await

Me too. We'll be watching that thing pretty close. I hope he doesn't trade up for anyone, and possibly

trades down if appropriate. We need a bunch of players. Might as well get this deal started.

I would even consider having a "positional" draft, drafting anyone that plays on either line, and a QB if one exists.

Im liking the idea of Nix,...former asst. gm, dude has that s.e.c. accent.

Imo seems to be a guy with the experience to be adept at building up the positives of what we have in place, (we are not devoid of talent) and with a little luck he should be just fine; but really....RW said it "luck"...he was talking about injuries. (i was quite impressed with his lucidity once he got goin) But he hit the nail on the head.

I believe that if you took our current roster, healthy, there isnt a team we couldnt compete favorably with..i think we could have been a playoff team. With the guys we had from day one.

Say Demetrius had stayed healthy. That would have been the weakest link on the team. Say we'd had a little luck with that guy, and hed taken his lumps and gotten a full year under his belt. If you got him through the year, and everybody else had stayed healthy, we would have been fine. But we got NONE of that.

All im sayin is, we start over next year...everybodies gonna come back healthy...we'll be excited about the first draft of a new gm that oughtta know what he's doin.....and we arent THAT far away

with a little luck

Annual? What planet are you on? Even if you were on Mercury it would be be more than an annual event.

If you overlook the maybin pick, (which i know is hard), it was a pretty good draft last year. anytime you get 3 starters and a couple guys with some potential is a good draft.

If that's the case then the Bills have had quite a few good drafts. The Bills haven't drafted a lot of complete busts. They just have drafted a lot of guys that aren't very good. I mean, at one point Lynch, Poz and Edwards were all starting as rookies. When you have a bad team, and you draft RB's, safeties, linebackers, guards and other non-premium positions on day one, you stand a good chance of getting some guys who can be on the field right away. Draft OT's, DE's, DT's, WR's and QB's on day one and you spend your chips more wisely, but stand a lesser chance of getting immediate starters out of it.

If that's the case then the Bills have had quite a few good drafts. The Bills haven't drafted a lot of complete busts. They just have drafted a lot of guys that aren't very good. I mean, at one point Lynch, Poz and Edwards were all starting as rookies. When you have a bad team, and you draft RB's, safeties, linebackers, guards and other non-premium positions on day one, you stand a good chance of getting some guys who can be on the field right away. Draft OT's, DE's, DT's, WR's and QB's on day one and you spend your chips more wisely, but stand a lesser chance of getting immediate starters out of it.

This is a very solid post, and says a lot about the flaws in the Bills' drafting mistakes in the post-TD era. The TD era as well, come to think of it. That guy blew a lot of early draft picks on running backs, slot receivers, and first-contract-and-out CBs, while neglecting the offensive line and the DT position.

The fact that Buddy raised Aaron Maybin's name himself tells me that there is some internal questions about that pick. It would obviously be dumb to throw Maybin under the bus at this point, but it is obvious that Maybin needs to get much better as a football player. Nix discussed 'not being built like the Colts' in his Chris Brown interview, and some of his other comments suggest he has a solid grasp on the 'what not to do'.

# 1 goal for aaron maybin is to get in the weight room and become stronger and more explosive

I don't understand why this comment gets repeated so often. This guy already ("miraculously") put on 25 lbs of pure muscle in a very short time (before the combine) that had folks doing double takes. Now you think he simply "get in the weight room" and bulk up even more?

How is that going to be naturally possible? Thi skid is already carrying around far more muscle mass than that which made him a first round draft pick college performer.