Tim Graham "Could Nix sway Schottenheimer to Bills?"

Fingon

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...heimer-to-bills

Best part:

When the tandem was being considered for the Falcons, Chargers general manager A.J. Smith noted how close Nix and Schottenheimer were in San Diego.

"If true, I believe a Buddy Nix-Marty Schottenheimer team in Atlanta would be a perfect fit," Smith told the San Diego Union-Tribune. "Buddy got along well with Schottenheimer. They socialized together, went out to dinner, golfed together, sat together on the plane, talked football all the time."

Martyball in Buffalo?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...heimer-to-bills

The line that caught my attention was from AJ Smith "Buddy got along well with Schottenheimer. They socialized together, went out to dinner, golfed together, sat together on the plane, talked football all the time."

If I'm not mistaken, Thurman seemed to point out on his show this week that you needed a close relationship between coach and GM. I'm betting this is the relationship he was thinking about

I dont think there is a doubt in anyone's mind that he will try. Nix said something interesting during the press conference that when it comes to head coaches...there is a part of every great coach that forces them to go out and keep proving themselves.

What better way for Marty to prove himself then come into the place where he started his career and finally get to a Superbowl?

If Marty isn't our head coach in a month, then he truly wants to stay retired and never coach again.

Marty comes in as HC hires his son Brian to be OC and assistant HC to take over when pops retires....if that happens, it would be hard to call this anything other than a great move.

If you make a move that rips the OC away from a division rival, and in so doing, take away Sanchez's mentor, that's a plus I guess.

I'm pulling this off the BB.com message boards, but wondering if anyone else heard this on Mike and Mike this am...

"Heard it on Mike & Mike with Adam Sheftler. (Sorry I don't have link but heard it on the radio at my job site today)Bills are throwing the kitchen sink at getting Cowher. Ongoing talks have been confirmed. The Bills team (could it be Modrak, Kelly, & Brandon?)has marked him as their man all along. He also said the Bills are doing everything they can to get him. They also said the only options is now Tampa and Buffalo. Of course the ESPN guys said there is no way he will say yes to Buffalo (because they hate us-and TO would never go there right?). I live 150 miles from Tampa, and the fans are generally against the idea as Morris has the team going in the right direction and his development of their young QB. Also tampa radio said Glazer would have to purge the coaching staff and possible members of the FO to do this. He would probably have to eat $10 million and a second coaching purge in 2 years is unlikely. Carolina has retained Fox and are officially out of the running they said too. Now, not to get our hopes up too much, but things seem to be coming together. It would not surprise me if this is already a done deal. Are the stars lining up at OBD. Is that Sal guy right from his podcast the other night? Does Thurmans comments make more sense than ever now? It's good to see OBD at least trying. What does that say? Let's keep hoping. "

I dont like this at all. Nix can scout players but can he run the whole show? This to me is Brandon making sure he keeps all his power and still mettles in the football side of the business where he absolutely Does Not Belong. They'll get some other moron in to coach that will be no better than the last three. Marty? Please how many playoff games has he won? In three tries with three other teams he has zero superbowls. I hope Im wrong because after 26 years of being a Bills fan I'm about done if this nonsense continues......They needed a young up and coming guy with new ideas. They couldve kept Nix as national scout no one else was going to make him a GM.....

When Jauron was fired, I mentioned that I thought was the best, most realistic option for this team. He's a "blue collar" kind of coach for a "blue collar" kind of city. He's from the old school and handles things just that way. We need a fiery, hard-nosed coach around here who will instill some pride and fight into these players. Would I like to have Cowher here? Sure, but Marty would be fine by me. You know what you're going to get. Despite the playoff woes, Marty has been a consistent winner in the NFL. If this happens the team would be greatly improved come opening day 2010.

I'm pulling this off the BB.com message boards, but wondering if anyone else heard this on Mike and Mike this am...

"Heard it on Mike & Mike with Adam Sheftler. (Sorry I don't have link but heard it on the radio at my job site today)Bills are throwing the kitchen sink at getting Cowher. Ongoing talks have been confirmed. The Bills team (could it be Modrak, Kelly, & Brandon?)has marked him as their man all along. He also said the Bills are doing everything they can to get him. They also said the only options is now Tampa and Buffalo. Of course the ESPN guys said there is no way he will say yes to Buffalo (because they hate us-and TO would never go there right?). I live 150 miles from Tampa, and the fans are generally against the idea as Morris has the team going in the right direction and his development of their young QB. Also tampa radio said Glazer would have to purge the coaching staff and possible members of the FO to do this. He would probably have to eat $10 million and a second coaching purge in 2 years is unlikely. Carolina has retained Fox and are officially out of the running they said too. Now, not to get our hopes up too much, but things seem to be coming together. It would not surprise me if this is already a done deal. Are the stars lining up at OBD. Is that Sal guy right from his podcast the other night? Does Thurmans comments make more sense than ever now? It's good to see OBD at least trying. What does that say? Let's keep hoping. "

If Cowher comes to Buffalo, all the better. He's a guy that would fit here as well. I would love it, but I still wouldn't be hurt if Marty ended up being the guy on the sidelines.