All of Bills Front Office moves were WRONG this year

Chuckknox

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You sure you don't want to take that one back?

Let's see

Held out until the day before the opener of 2008

great talent was outperformed by every LT in the league as well as Walker and Chambers when they filled in for him

he admitted he was thinking about his contract when he was basically playing bullfighter when his QBs were getting sacked

Nope...I'll stick with it

I generally hold no ill will towards former Bills players in the NFL and root for them to do well on their new teams (just not against the Bills) but Peters joined McGahee as the only exceptions to that rule.

If Willis McGahee and Jason Peters both got career-ending injuries (but not life-threatening like Everett's was), it'd be perfect justice in my book for the way they showed their gratitude to Buffalo for giving them their 1st chances in the NFL.

Any F.O. that's drafts a "project" at DE with the 11th overall pick is ignorant. NO F.O. (other than the Bills apparently) drafts a project player that high. It's BS, and if they say that, they're lying.

You do realize Maybin was projected to go top 15 or 20 on many draft boards and projections right? So your point makes zero sense because someone was going to draft a "project" that high.

Do you even watch the draft? Every year all kinds of kids with BIG potential go high...every year. There is always a player or two that does OK in college but puts up a freakish combine to get into the top half of the first round, sometimes even top 5. There is always some QB with big physical skills thats unpolished that goes high, even #1 overall. This is what makes up the draft...yet you say that is BS to think any other team drafts projects that high? You clearly dont watch the draft of follow college ball enough to see all the projects drafted top 15 every year if you think thats true.

Not saying Maybin is going to be good or bad...but he was the #1 rated pass rusher in the draft by most for a reason. It is way to early to make any determinations on him...way to early.

I wonder how high Maybin would have gone if the Bills hadn't taken him?

they could have gotten him in the 2nd round

the same way they got their other overhyped defensive stud, POZ, in the 2nd round -when Marv wanted him at #12 in the 1st.

you can understand how the Bills continue to reach for questionable talent (Whitner, POZ, Maybin) when you see the talent evaluators had POZ ranked ahead of Patrick Willis.

Many mistakes by the FO going into this season, but the biggest was thinking that Bell could handle LT (and then cutting Walker). They should have known that the team would not have success with two rookies playing new positions (Wood and Levitre) and a LT who had never played a down before (Bell).

Why does everyone seem to think that this team needed immediate production out of Maybin? Even if he played great for a rookie, it still wouldn't have really mattered. There was nothing wrong with drafting a project.

You don't draft a project with the 11th pick! With a team that has many needs, you need an immediate impact player. A loaded team who wins every year may have that luxury, we do not.

Couple things

They DID bring in a Vet QB backup...Fitzpatrick

Losman was pretty much shot...hopefully he can turn his career around but I wouldn't count on it

Peters tanked it on purpose in 2008...worst LT in the game last year...we should've had a better plan to replace him, though

Maybin...he might be good one day...but not for a while...and you have to get production out of the 11th pick...I totally agree

Had they not tried to go with a no-huddle, Walker would still be here...he couldn't hack the no-huddle...poorly conditioned

Peters was our worst O-lineman in 08, Dockery was 2nd worst...Levitre very likely will grade out better than Dockery did

LBs...injuries were the issue to that group

O-line...injuries and a lack of chemistry were the issue. The O-line has to play together to play as a unit and even if we didn't have injury problems there, it would've been midseason before we knew what kind of a unit we actually had

AVP...I wonder how we would've done had he been able to install his own playbook instead of going with what Schonert left

Interesting note...all 3 teams that switched offensive coordinators just prior to the season struggled mightily, especially on offense. Somehow I think few teams will ever think of making a change like that again

I like your posts Phil.......they bring common sense on days when you wonder if this team will ever be good again.

You sure you don't want to take that one back?

No, he doesn't. He's right. The fat slob skipped all of training camp, and then when he DID show up to play, he was overweight, out of game shape and purposefully ineffectual for the first half of the year, mediocre at best the second half. The rat bastard didn't want to be here and I for one was overjoyed to watch him get his ass handed to him yesterday.

No, he doesn't. He's right. The fat slob skipped all of training camp, and then when he DID show up to play, he was overweight, out of game shape and purposefully ineffectual for the first half of the year, mediocre at best the second half. The rat bastard didn't want to be here and I for one was overjoyed to watch him get his ass handed to him yesterday.

I dont no what game you were watching but he played well IMO.

By this logic Peters tanked it because he dint get paid so he played terrible to get a huge contract at the end of the season :worthy:

I for one undertand him, i do recall the FO not talking with him or his agent at all that season, i know my work would be affected if i was unsure if i was wanted or not at my place of employment, or if i was going to have to pack up and start over somewhere else.

I dont no what game you were watching but he played well IMO.

By this logic Peters tanked it because he dint get paid so he played terrible to get a huge contract at the end of the season :worthy:

I for one undertand him, i do recall the FO not talking with him or his agent at all that season, i know my work would be affected if i was unsure if i was wanted or not at my place of employment, or if i was going to have to pack up and start over somewhere else.

Dude, most people have employers that couldn't give a rats arse whether or not they were there or not. So fuggen what if your feelings are hurt? You show up, you get paid MILLION$ and you do your damned job. you don't act like a 350 lb. three-year-old. Screw Jason Peters and his over-rated self. We sucked with him here, and we suck without him here. He wasn't the solution to any problem. No, he was the CAUSE of problems.

I like your posts Phil.......they bring common sense on days when you wonder if this team will ever be good again.

the key is posting with your head and not your heart. One of the reasons I spend little time on message boards these days (I used to be the leading poster at the Zone) is because it's tiresome seeing people react to stuff without thinking about what they're saying.

Let's put it this way...on my way out of the game against the Fish in 96, after Kelly threw picks left and right including one on the final play, I was in favor of benching him for Todd Collins...sounded right for a moment but sounded stupid by the time I made it to the car.

As far as being good again, it depends on who we bring in. Ralph wants this coaching hire to be his best. The fact that Russ Brandon went to Ralph and told him we needed to bring in a football guy to run things is promising. Brandon knows his own shortcomings...the trick is getting the right guy. Just like with the draft, selecting a coach or a GM isn't an exact science.

Mid to late 2nd round tops.

Wasn't the scoop that Maybin was too light to make the same impact in the NFL that he made at Penn State, even with his speed? I seem to remember more than one article implying that Maybin needed to put on 20-30 pounds or he was going to get pushed around. The guys Maybin faced this season were just as fast if not faster, bigger, stronger and smarter than what he faced in college.

One would have thought, that with all the glaring deficiencies on this team, the Bills would use their #1 pick on someone who had a more legitimate shot to make an immediate impact than someone who at the very least, needed a season to bulk up another 20-30 lbs. Maybin didn't turn out to be an impact player which seems to validate the previous articles and gives the appearance that once the Bills FO makes up their mind, they put on blinders and go full steam ahead, regardless.

Brandon knows his own shortcomings...the trick is getting the right guy. Just like with the draft, selecting a coach or a GM isn't an exact science.

The trick will be getting the best person out of whoever is available at picking time. I don't think the Bills are going to get "The Best". I do hope that they put on their thinking caps and get "The Best Available". My real concern is that they haven't demonstrated that ability with #1 draft picks, free agents or coaches on any kind of a regular basis.

I dunno, I thought the Drayton Florence pickup was a good one. So was Wood, Levitre, Hangartner, Nelson, and Byrd, for that matter.

Giving Jackson his extension was also pretty smart.

Same for Evans.

Oh, and McGee too.

Agreed for the mostest part. Not sure Evans has much left in the gas tank, not that we had much of a chance to find out this season.

Byrd is going to be a helluva player.

Yup, Andy Reid traded for the "worst LT in the game" and paid Peters $60M over 6 years. $10M/year money for the "worst LT in the game"

And Peters deliberately "tanked it on purpose"

The nonsense that people peddle on internet blogs is breathtaking

Agreed. Arguably no coach in the NFL has done a better job with their O-line over the last decade than Reid, hence the annual trip to the playoffs. Peters tanking it was OBD propoganda. He knew what he was worth and he got it in a league with a bunch of petulant cry baby stars, something Ralph hasnt realized yet.

Any F.O. that's drafts a "project" at DE with the 11th overall pick is ignorant. NO F.O. (other than the Bills apparently) drafts a project player that high. It's BS, and if they say that, they're lying.

You are exactly right. I remember Mike Mayock waving an admonishing finger warning teams not to be sucked into drafting a project DE, in the particular case Michael Johnson (who by the way has as much or more upside than Maybin) with a high pick.

Why does everyone seem to think that this team needed immediate production out of Maybin? Even if he played great for a rookie, it still wouldn't have really mattered. There was nothing wrong with drafting a project.

that is the stupidest thing I have ever read on this board. Anytime you draft someone with the 11th pick not having made the playoffs in nine seasons, you had better get some production. He did not have to be Bruce Smith, but he wasn't even close to Erik Flowers. The guy looks like a senior in high school. I was at the Falcons game yesterday. He got a lot of playing time and did absolutely nothing. I don't think he would even start at the college level right now if he played in the SEC. He has absolutely no strength whatsoever to rush the passer, and his instincts are about as good as Donte Whitner's. Unless you are being sarcastic, think a bit before posting, please.

Your statement needs some expansion.

If you have a team that is already in the playoffs or competing for the Super Bowl, then drafting a project is not a bad idea. A project is considered to be a luxury pick. When you are winning, you have more luxuries than others. You basically have the key element (TIME) necessary to build for tomorrow's team.

Now, I don't know what team you are watching, but the Bills have no luxuries, as they can't win. It makes absolutely no sense to plan for the future, when you need production today.

Orakpo would have been the better choice. Word now is that Maybin was a Jauron idea.