Shanahan removes name from Bills consideration

FluffHead

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the year RW's meddlesome ways finally catch up to him. I have no doubt word has spread league wide that going to Buffalo is a half-step up from working in Oakland. And that alone will convince proven people and top assistants from interviewing. I don't care if it's the NFL or not, this is a wasteland and people know it.

Besides, Brian Billick has wondered aloud who would consider coming here. Fassel, Haslett, or Dennis Green seem to be the logical choices because they want in.

Agreed. The Bills are a wasteland. Buffalo is a place you leave, not a place you go to.

That's too bad. Oh well, there are plenty of other coaches to interview, like Dan Reeves, Tony Dungy, Brian Billick, Jim Fassel, Bill Callahan, Mike Martz, plus some other guys that might get fired like Fox or Fisher plus a few others I probably forgot about. Kudos to Ralph for interviewing him anyway.

This is the year RW's meddlesome ways finally catch up to him. I have no doubt word has spread league wide that going to Buffalo is a half-step up from working in Oakland. And that alone will convince proven people and top assistants from interviewing. I don't care if it's the NFL or not, this is a wasteland and people know it.

Besides, Brian Billick has wondered aloud who would consider coming here. Fassel, Haslett, or Dennis Green seem to be the logical choices because they want in.

He did???? Do you have a link for that? I'm very surprised that a guy like Billick, who wants to come back into the league and who literally has no one knocking at his door, would say such a thing. If he did say that then I officially withdraw my lukewarm interest in him.

If you don't have a link please provide the media outlet and circumstances of the comments by Billick.

i want a credible gm like bill parcells first.... then let him hire a coach...

I agree.

I must admit, living here in DC, I was bummed when the 'Skins got Bruce Allen.

Now the talk is that Shanahan stated he wants to be a part of the project with Allen as GM. That threw me for a loop, because all of the clamoring of Shanahan had him also taking on the role of GM along with coaching duties.

Now what?

I was thinking that the Bills approached all of the big name coaches first because they were rumored to want more control of the football operation. Now, it seems that is not the case as Shanahan wants to work for a GM, Holmgren does not want to coach and outright said 'NO' to the Bills inquiry, and Cowher is also on record as stating that he does not want to be a GM.

This makes it look like an @$$ backward search to me by Brandon, as hiring a GM usually should be the first step in the process of rebuilding. The GM usually wants to bring in their own guys, and having a coaching staff already in place could be a deterrent.

Floyd Reese is still out there. Parcells is not bound by a contract in Miami (I know, I'm dreaming). I don't know why we aren't STARTING at GM and working from there. :wacko:

I don't blame Shanahan for turning down the Bills. They only offered about 10 million per year, total control and probably a piece of the team. He surely deserves much much more.............Hope he falls on his face wherever he chooses to go..

I don't think any of those things influenced his decision. I think he can get all of those things from any other franchise.

I think 2 things influenced it more: Buffalo's payroll structure for the roster, and the man in charge of the spending: Jim Overdorf.

Why would Shanahan want to be shackled with 'Cash to the cap' when he get a free wheelin' deal from Snyder or Dallas?

Was not keen on Shanahan handling both GM and coaching duties, so this news is fine with me. Focus should be on bringing in a quality GM and keeping Fewell as HC.

Yeah, but that's just it.

Now that GM Bruce Allen is with Washington, the rumor is that Shanahan did NOT want additional GM duties, and that he actually wanted to be part of a package deal that included Allen as GM.

If this is true, I don't understand why the Bills did not pursue Allen first before the 'Skins job opened up, and then went after Shanahan.

Why are they pursuing coaches when we should be getting a GM?

See, the problem is no one wants to come to buffalo to coach. That's why we are going to get a bad coach, not because of the unwillingless of russ brandon to look, but because no one wants the job.

You are talking about a bunch of guys who have been fighting and sacrificing all their lives to land 1 of 32 possible jobs in the world. Some big names might pass but there are plenty of hungry, capable, qualified candidates who would love the job. The problem is landing the right candidate.

For all of the reasons already noted, I think it quite likely that Buffalo will not land one of the remaining "big-name" coaches. While hiring a big-name coach would increase the probability of winning football games A) it doesn't guarantee it and B) a big name coach isn't the only way to win football games.

There are plenty of ways to skin a cat and a scarcity of head coaching positions available in the NFL. Everyone and their father would kill to be the head coach of an NFL team. We shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking nobody wants this job. Plenty of people would love to be the head coach of the Buffalo Bills. It just so happens that many of those people come without proven track records.

Whomever we choose as the next coach will be a risky prospect. Either we take a less than ideal veteran (e.g. Martz, Fox, etc.) or we roll the dice on a young, hungry, up-and-comer with something to prove. But just because our choice comes with risk does not mean that we will be forever doomed to the catastrophic coaching graveyard. Their are many roads which lead to Rome.