Byrd's pics are great.....but

Webster Guy

Before this season, whenever I saw a tipped ball get picked, I just thought O thats a lucky play. Byrd ahs had 6-7 of those this year. He cant just be lucky, can he? He always is over the top of the ball, but for it to be tipped to an area on the field he can get it is just nuts.

I mean his pick vrs the Browns he was torched for a would be TD but the ball was thrown 10 yards inside (I was sitting 20 rows up in that corner of the field) and he was barely able to get there. That was not impressive IMO. His other pick where he out leaped Braylon Edwards vrs the Jets was one of the best picks in recent Bills memory. I dont know what to make of all the tipped balls though. One side of me thinks he is having the luck of a once in a career type season, the other thinks he is just always around the ball. I guess Im just not sure he is a complete play maker just yet - even though he has the production to be considered one. I sure hope he is, thats for sure.

Before this season, whenever I saw a tipped ball get picked, I just thought O thats a lucky play. Byrd ahs had 6-7 of those this year. He cant just be lucky, can he? He always is over the top of the ball, but for it to be tipped to an area on the field he can get it is just nuts.

I mean his pick vrs the Browns he was torched for a would be TD but the ball was thrown 10 yards inside (I was sitting 20 rows up in that corner of the field) and he was barely able to get there. That was not impressive IMO. His other pick where he out leaped Braylon Edwards vrs the Jets was one of the best picks in recent Bills memory. I dont know what to make of all the tipped balls though. One side of me thinks he is having the luck of a once in a career type season, the other thinks he is just always around the ball. I guess Im just not sure he is a complete play maker just yet - even though he has the production to be considered one. I sure hope he is, thats for sure.

Agreed. i'm holding off on jumping aboard the jairus byrd bandwagon yet. of course i think he is a great rookie and has a good knack for the football, he has only had about two solid non-tipped interceptions. its great that he is always around the ball, but if some of those balls didnt go through or off of receivers hands/werent tipped by another player on our D they would end up being completions. i think he does a good job of not being baited out of position and seems to maintain his responsibilities well as the centerfielder. i personally would like to see him CREATE a few more turnovers instead of benefitting from tips and bad passes.

I for one was disappointed when he gained (and fed with his flapping celebration) the obvious moniker of Birdman from fans and the media. I was hopping he would get dubbed TD being short for Tip Drill which describes a lot of his INTs.

Overall, I think it is fairly silly for folks to find fault with him for his run coverage. HE IS A ROOKIE afterall, and the likelihood is that he will learn the game even more with experience.

The most freakish thing about his INTs is that his league leading total of 9 were amassed in only 10 starts since he missed some early game starts due to injury and coaches decisions.

Has Byrd been lucky to get a number of his INT? Yep.

However, players make themselves lucky with good positioning as they close in to make a tackle and by being more heads up than the normal player or simply good at reading the QBs eyes and reading his mistakes.

As as Byrd who knows for sure what the future holds but in this case the future is so bright he has to wear shades.

That's cause they only throw when they get bored with running for 7 yards a carry.

That would certainly affect totals, but would not affect efficiency, except perhaps negatively, since the Bills probably spend more time thinking about defending the run than teams which are doing better against the run.

Wow is Thon giving credit to Byrd?? They all can't be luck IMO, he is putting himself in good positions to make plays. Some of them are pretty lucky tho, I concur, and after all I am a Doctor. Great break on the ball during the Chiefs game where he got that bull crap pass interference call. Go Bills!

Some of the picks are lucky for being tipped. But you have to put yourself in position to even get those balls. And Byrd is a good player and is doing just that. Putting himself in position to be a playmaker. If this defense was actually good at rushing the passer and stopping the run then Byrd would show he is a monster. He will only get better. I know he continues to play through it, but he really needs clean up the small bumps and bruises hes getting.

Wow is Thon giving credit to Byrd?? They all can't be luck IMO, he is putting himself in good positions to make plays. Some of them are pretty lucky tho, I concur, and after all I am a Doctor. Great break on the ball during the Chiefs game where he got that bull crap pass interference call. Go Bills!

I agree - that play was much more impressive to me than his pick. He did everything right except catch the ball - Bad call too.

Well, teams have attempted 426 passes on us and we have 25 INTs. That means we have missed out on 401 INTs. That's pretty terrible if you ask me. :)

HAHA :thumbsup: ... Seriously though Florence is a lot better than i thought he was, pleasent surprise. With McKelvin back( i dont care what he did, kids got talent) Mcgee, Corner, and our ball hawking safeties (Who tried to kill each other for that last int against KC by the way) we have a pretty solid DB core.

This will sound ridiculous, but I was impressed after Byrd's INT that he slid to the ground once he realized that he wasn't going through 10 people to score a TD. That to me shows a lot of football intelligence.

You think McKelvin would have done that? Mr. "You never know when I'm gonna break one?". Or how about when Kelsay got a penalty for hitting Brady when Brady declared himself down behind the line of scrimmage? I remember Kelsay's quote - "Someone had to get credit for the sack".