Byrd's pics are great.....but

Webster Guy

Boy it seemed like there have been some HUGE passing holes open over the middle of the field against us.

I understand that sometimes that falls on the corners, the SS or sometimes even the linebackers, but our rank against the pass is a bit misleading. Taking away the middle is usually the first priority of a secondary. If we don't shore that up immediately, I don't care if we have 3 picks a game, the Pats are gonna smoke us.

I wonder how Byrd will grade out as far as pass defense, aside from the picks. Is he possibly being a little too sneaky and trying to bait QB's but giving up some passes he shouldn't in the process?

Boy it seemed like there have been some HUGE passing holes open over the middle of the field against us.

I understand that sometimes that falls on the corners, the SS or sometimes even the linebackers, but our rank against the pass is a bit misleading. Taking away the middle is usually the first priority of a secondary. If we don't shore that up immediately, I don't care if we have 3 picks a game, the Pats are gonna smoke us.

I wonder how Byrd will grade out as far as pass defense, aside from the picks. Is he possibly being a little too sneaky and trying to bait QB's but giving up some passes he shouldn't in the process?

The fact of the matter is he has 9 pics from his position which is more than we were getting. Byrd can be better in run coverage but remember that he is the free safety and not the strong safety. His job is to defend the pass and create the turnover. The middle of the defense is normally handled by the mlb with safety help if long. Thats why Poz has taken such a beating in the blogs his pass coverage and instincts are suspect. It's not just Poz, opposing offenses always try to match up a TE on a linebacker because this is usually a mismatch.

Asking how is Byrd with out the pics is like asking how is Florida without the sunshine. Because that is what he is suppose to do.

The fact of the matter is he has 9 pics from his position which is more than we were getting. Byrd can be better in run coverage but remember that he is the free safety and not the strong safety. His job is to defend the pass and create the turnover. The middle of the defense is normally handled by the mlb with safety help if long. Thats why Poz has taken such a beating in the blogs his pass coverage and instincts are suspect. It's not just Poz, opposing offenses always try to match up a TE on a linebacker because this is usually a mismatch.

Asking how is Byrd with out the pics is like asking how is Florida without the sunshine. Because that is what he is suppose to do.

Good points.

Regarding Poz though, it seems like every Tom Dick and Harry outsider has a perspective on Poz which differs greatly from those within the organization. Fewell himself said that the defense is lost without him. I question those who criticize Poz's instincts when everyone who's actually involved with the defense makes it sound like Poz is covering the real estate otherwise manned by two or three of his teammates. I maintain that with a developed Harris on the weak side and a stud on the strong side, Poz becomes one of the most reliable MLB's in the NFL.

Byrd gets lots of interceptions because he is ALWAYS playing the ball. He is never looking to make a big hit on a receiver to dislodge the ball or send a message or something like that. He is looking for the ball all the time. That is how free safety is supposed to be played, IMO.

Regarding Poz, cut him some slack. Most of those passes over the middle that he was supposed to cover were on play action passes on early downs. He got sucked up and they throw it over him. How do you not commit to the run when you have the worst run defense in the NFL? If the run defense improves, those play action passes to the middle of the field will start to dry up as well.

Qbs have a 59.8 QB rating against us this year, which is tied for #1 in the league. We also led in INTs. I'd say the pass defense is ok.

our DBs are amongst the best in the league....-and amazing the stats are decent given our ZERO pass rush and awful LBs