Russ Grimm article

DevilsAlum

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be an interesting prospect for Buffalo and may be the next HC. Certainly fits Buffalo where we need to get back to a powerful o-line that can grind out ground games in December.

"December. December?? You're talking December? Who's talking about December? December?"

Seems solid as an o-line coach, not too sure about a head coach; the Steelers obviously passed on him pretty quickly.

Whoa, JR.

Grimm was a finalist for the Steelers job. He was even told he would be hired as head coach according to many reports. You're characterization would seem to be inaccurate.

Affirmative action, anyone??

I would guess that this is pretty accurate. Tomlin is a pretty decent head coach but I think the "Rooney" rule came back and bit them in the a-$$ on this one. At some point in time, the Steelers would have to cave on the rule and the timing and hiring of Tomlin worked out for them to squelch the NFL committee's bitching about it. I'm sure if the rule wasn't in place, we wouldn't be discussing the possibility of Grimm because he would already be off the market.

Whoa, JR.

Grimm was a finalist for the Steelers job. He was even told he would be hired as head coach according to many reports. You're characterization would seem to be inaccurate.

He was a finalist in name only, but he wasn't really seriously considered in the same way Whiz was. And then when they interviewed Tomlin, the Steelers brass were blown away.

I like Grimm a lot. Personally I think the money that would be spent on a "big name" coach should instead go into getting a top GM/personnel evaluator and a bigger and better scouting department.

I agree with this post.. Skip the Big Name Coach.

I would be thrilled if Grimm was our next coach. The Steelers know how to find coaches....the 3 finalists were Whisenhut, Tomlin and Grimm. Safe to say at least 2 of those guys have worked out pretty well, why not take our shot with the 3rd one.

That's the same with every coach. A "good" coach is overrated.

I guarantee you that Jauron could coach circles around Jim Caldwell and every other coach on the Colts' staff; the only difference is that they have Peyton Manning, and we don't.

You are out of your mind. Jauron would have killed the colts as surely as he did the BEars and the Bills.

Wow is that deluded

I would guess that this is pretty accurate. Tomlin is a pretty decent head coach but I think the "Rooney" rule came back and bit them in the a-$$ on this one. At some point in time, the Steelers would have to cave on the rule and the timing and hiring of Tomlin worked out for them to squelch the NFL committee's bitching about it. I'm sure if the rule wasn't in place, we wouldn't be discussing the possibility of Grimm because he would already be off the market.

Maybe...maybe not but the Steelers clearly made the right choice.

It seems as though you don't feel that Tomlin was a better candidate.

Trust me if Grimm was better he would have gotten the job.

Maybe...maybe not but the Steelers clearly made the right choice.

It seems as though you don't feel that Tomlin was a better candidate.

Trust me if Grimm was better he would have gotten the job.

I'm not saying Tomlin wasn't the better candidate, I'm just saying that it's possible that there were other factors into the Steelers decision making process. All things being equal, Tomlin did step into a pretty good gig and anyone, even Jauron, would have fared pretty well.