Russ Grimm article

DevilsAlum

I agree with this post.. Skip the Big Name Coach.

Grimm sounds like a beastly biker no BS kind of coach who could fit in here. Blue collar guy who knows how to win football by being sound and physical. Did anyone see the Thursday night Jets game that looked like a public spanking. If Sanchez wasn't hurt the score would have been uglier than it was. Disgusting.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are out of your mind. Jauron would have killed the colts as surely as he did the BEars and the Bills.

Wow is that deluded

Yeah, because Jim Caldwell (and Tony Dungy for that matter) is such a brilliant head coach! Face it-- it's all about the QB. Give any of these guys a hall of fame QB, and they're going to look like hall of fame coaches.

Check out the correlation b/w coaching success and having a great QB--it's direct and indisputable. Jauron's QB's have been guys like Jim Miller, JP Losman, and Trent Edwards. How do you win with that kind of crappy QB talent?

I would like to see Russ Grimm come here more than just about anyone else, I think his waiting has just fueled up him so much more than any other coach out there. He has definitely paid his dues.

I also would like to see DeCosta of the Ravens get the GM job here and bring in his own scouts and front office personel so we can finally get rid of the waste of spaces we have there now.

He was a finalist in name only, but he wasn't really seriously considered in the same way Whiz was. And then when they interviewed Tomlin, the Steelers brass were blown away.

Maybe, but you stated that the Steelers "passed over Grimm very quickly." If that was the case, he wouldn't have been a finalist, he would have been eliminated earlier on. Semantics? Yes, but you overstate your case.

That's the same with every coach. A "good" coach is overrated.

I guarantee you that Jauron could coach circles around Jim Caldwell and every other coach on the Colts' staff; the only difference is that they have Peyton Manning, and we don't.

You are out of your mind. Jauron would have killed the colts as surely as he did the BEars and the Bills.

Wow is that deluded

Yeah, because Jim Caldwell (and Tony Dungy for that matter) is such a brilliant head coach! Face it-- it's all about the QB. Give any of these guys a hall of fame QB, and they're going to look like hall of fame coaches.

Check out the correlation b/w coaching success and having a great QB--it's direct and indisputable. Jauron's QB's have been guys like Jim Miller, JP Losman, and Trent Edwards. How do you win with that kind of crappy QB talent?

JR, the counter-argument is the number of highly rated, highly picked quarterbacks who's careers went nowhere due to bad coaching.

I think the truth (between you and Zazie) is that it can go both ways.

JR, the counter-argument is the number of highly rated, highly picked quarterbacks who's careers went nowhere due to bad coaching.

Fair point. Good coach can make a good QB, and vice versa. I will concede that.

I would still argue that it's more likely that good QB's make good coaches-- but I doubt I could prove it without wasting about an hour digging up inconclusive stats on the internet!

I would be thrilled if Grimm was our next coach. The Steelers know how to find coaches....the 3 finalists were Whisenhut, Tomlin and Grimm. Safe to say at least 2 of those guys have worked out pretty well, why not take our shot with the 3rd one.

Yes I agree.....

I hope when the Cards season is over we have him on a flight the next day.

Fair point. Good coach can make a good QB, and vice versa. I will concede that.

I would still argue that it's more likely that good QB's make good coaches-- but I doubt I could prove it without wasting about an hour digging up inconclusive stats on the internet!

That's a huge relief. We both have better things to do.

this is in no way my endorsement, but he sounds like he could be a great head coach http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/...ards-grimm.html

After reading this article, I checked the Cardinals website, because I wasn't exactly sure of Russ Grimm's title.

Turns out, he's Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line/Running game OC. There's another guy, Mike Miller (Bill's quality control/tights ends in 2004 and tight ends coach in 2005), who's the Passing game OC.

I'm not suggesting that the Bills take on a structure like that, but it's an interesting way to coach a pro offense.

I like him; he's paid his dues, has a no-nonsense coaching style, and would come a lot less than a Shanny.

this is in no way my endorsement, but he sounds like he could be a great head coach http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/...ards-grimm.html

I like him too, DevilsAlum. I'd rather see Shanahan or Cowher, maybe Schottenheimer. But after those three, and Schottenheimer might not even come back, there's another group, a secondary group: Billick, Fox if he's fired, and IMHO Grimm ought to be a member of that group and equal to any of them. He's done well everywhere he's gone.

He's a no-nonsense, tough guy, but he's also smart and a real team-builder.

Seems solid as an o-line coach, not too sure about a head coach; the Steelers obviously passed on him pretty quickly.

As the article says, they actually offered Grimm the job on Saturday, then gave it to Tomlin on Sunday. Clearly they have tremendous respect for Grimm.

I would guess that this is pretty accurate. Tomlin is a pretty decent head coach but I think the "Rooney" rule came back and bit them in the a-$$ on this one. At some point in time, the Steelers would have to cave on the rule and the timing and hiring of Tomlin worked out for them to squelch the NFL committee's bitching about it. I'm sure if the rule wasn't in place, we wouldn't be discussing the possibility of Grimm because he would already be off the market.

No question, they chose Tomlin over Grimm. That now doesn't necessarily look like a great decision. Which is the Tomlin Steelers, last year's or this year's. Remember that Barry Switzer won a SB with a Jimmy Johnson-built team. Is the Tomlin case the same?

Who cares why they hired Tomlin? The point is that they loved Grimm, though they loved Tomlin more.

I have to agree with you about QBs, but Tony Dungy is a sensational coach, who built a team that almost won the SB around QBs Brad Johnson and Shaun King.

Caldwell is at best a question mark right now.

Yes I agree.....

I hope when the Cards season is over we have him on a flight the next day.

This may be the reason we don't take Grimm. The Cards could go to the Super Bowl again and we will not want to wait till February 7th to interview a candidate, because most of the great candidates will be off the market by then.

Maybe it can go both ways, but the main reason that most of those highly rated highly picked QBs fail isn't bad coaching, it's simply that there's a gigantic difference between QBing in college and QBing in the NFL. Probably 80% of those guys who failed, if not more, wouldn't have been decent QBs under Vince Lombardi. I will give you, though, that genuinely bad coaching definitely can crush a QB.

I believe, though, that the opposite happens much more often. There are so few QBs capable of bringing a team to the SB (the exception being teams with out of this world defenses like last year's Steelers, the Ravens, the Jim McMahon-led Bears and the Brad Johnson-led Buccaneers) and you usually can't do a great job of evaluating them, where you often can have a decent idea about a coach, though that kind of evaluation also isn't perfect.

Let's remember he does this all with Wayne Gandy...

Yup. Check this out. Look at the 3:00 mark, They show Allen getting blocked by two people, telentlessly.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009120610/2...inals#tab:watch

Here's what they said:

“And Jared Allen…”

“That’s a nice chip. They did a nice job protecting Kurt Warner all night long.”

”So Favre throws a couple of picks and Jared Allen …”

“Somebody on the other side should be doing his job. He [Allen] has two people…”

You can see him getting double-teamed on these highlights.

This may be the reason we don't take Grimm. The Cards could go to the Super Bowl again and we will not want to wait till February 7th to interview a candidate, because most of the great candidates will be off the market by then.

They could wait if they really want him. Besides they will know by then if they can get Shanahan or the other top coaches.

My guess is that they wont be able to land a top tier coach, so they better have a plan B and I hope that if they have Grimm on the plan B list I for one will be happy.

And do you think they will ( the Cards) will beat NO at home?? I would favor the Saints in that game so we could have Grimm locked up before Feb.

I like Grimm a lot. Personally I think the money that would be spent on a "big name" coach should instead go into getting a top GM/personnel evaluator and a bigger and better scouting department.

At first I would have called for your tar-and-feathering, but I have evolved into realizing that hiring solely a big-name coach will not change the outcome of this sorry franchise.

I am in complete agreement that we should be spending the "big" bucks on compiling a robust and successful front office, starting with a winning GM that knows how to builds franchises.

Floyd Reese and Bruce Allen come to mind.

As does Bill Parcells....who is not under any contractual obligation with the Dolphins, BTW...