Bills to blow it all up

goynahan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Speculates that the Bills contacted Dungy this week and tried again to lure him out of retirement, possibly wanting to bring both Dungy and Vick to Buffalo together. (My take: horrible, ridiculous idea designed to sell tickets but will crash and burn).

2) Speculates that Tolbert's departure was prompted by internal discussions that a major housecleaning was coming. (My take: duh).

Dungy would also keep the Tampa Cover 2 D.

I don't know about Dungy. Yeah great in Indy, not so good in Tampa. I think he may be too soft for what needs to happen here in Buffalo

Dungy took the Bucs from doormat to perennial playoff contender. Gruden won a superbowl with Dungy's players. I think I would be pretty satisfied with a guy who has a proven record of winning.

Full Text:

Confirming a rumor that was being bounced around the Internet for about a week, Buffalo Bills receivers coach Tyke Tolbert is leaving the team to take on a similar role at LSU, according to the Buffalo News.

But there's a deeper impact to his departure and its timing, albeit a bit speculative. This horizontal move by Tolbert could mean that there are internal whispers going around the Bills' personnel that a major house-cleaning is on the way, and they should be exploring some other options. We know the team is poised to hire a new head coach, and that new coach will probably want to bring in his own assistants. It's possible that Tolbert -- an LSU alum -- saw this as a sign that he wouldn't have a job in Buffalo next season, and he wanted to make sure he was employed. After all, given the Bills' relative struggles, some of his colleagues might not find their next job so easily.

What whispers are you talking about? They fired the head caoch. Do you think the new HC is going to keep the old assistants especially the offensive ones? Every one of the assistants should be scrambling like crazy right now to get new jobs.

What whispers are you talking about? They fired the head caoch. Do you think the new HC is going to keep the old assistants especially the offensive ones? Every one of the assistants should be scrambling like crazy right now to get new jobs.

I think he just reprinted the full text.

You should be asking the article's author.

First off, thanks for the summary.

Secondly, let's keep in mind that Dungy is NOT a GM.

And before we go and hand him the keys to Bills land (and Brown gives him a key to the city- from Owens), let's remember that it was Dungy AND former Tampa GM Bruce Allen that turned the perennial punching bag Bucs into an eventual Super Bowl winner.

There was a rumor that flashed quickly about 2 months ago that the Bills were interested in Bruce Allen as GM.

Now, if we got both men, I would be all for it.

As far as Vick is concerned, on the one hand Dungy acting as Vick's mentor would most likely translate well to a coach/ player relationship. On the other hand, I really don't want Michael Vick so much as sniffing a dog park in WNY, let alone be given the role of starting QB for the Bills.

The difficult thing is that he may be the best option available for teams this offseason as a possible free agent/ trade.

Personally, I feel Jeff Garcia has got to have 2 seasons left in him. Once Owens vacates OBD, Garcia would be a much more interesting option IMO that would give us a couple of seasons to find/ groom a replacement.

But please, please, PLEASE let it be Allen AND Dungy. And no Vick.

Bruce Allen was not the GM when Dungy was there. Bruce Allen came to Tampa a year or two after Jon Gruden started coaching there. Allen's record doesn't look good to me.

The candidates for GM are just not that compelling or well known, but that is the direction the Bills should go. Jeff Ireland from the Dolphins seems like the best choice to me.

Bottom line is that Dungy is better than any coach we've had since Marv, and Vick is better than any QB we've had since Kelly. How can this not be better for the Bills than previous hires? I'm all for it.

Ummm, he turned the perennial losing TB franchise into a team that made the playoffs in 4 of his 6 seasons, which included a trip to the NFC Championship game (which they lost on a miracle catch by Ricky Proehl and a bad no-catch call on Bert Emmanuel--which incidentaly sparked a rule change).

Couple that with 7 consecutive playoff appearances (winning at least 12 games every season with the exception of one in which they had 10 wins) and a Superbowl victory in Indy, and I'd say he's done just fine in both places.

Let's also remember that TB won the Superbowl the year after he was fired--Gruden should get half the credit due to the vast improvement on offense, but Dungy's half of the credit shouldn't fall by the wayside.

And I don't put a whole lot into the "too soft" stuff. Dick Vermiel won a Superbowl, and he's the ultimate softie. Bill Walsh wan't a yeller either. If a guy can coach, he can coach.

Just my 1 cent.

Ummm, he turned the perennial losing TB franchise into a team that made the playoffs

Ummm, he turned the perennial losing TB franchise into a team that made the playoffs in 4 of his 6 seasons, which included a trip to the NFC Championship game (which they lost on a miracle catch by Ricky Proehl and a bad no-catch call on Bert Emmanuel--which incidentaly sparked a rule change).

Couple that with 7 consecutive playoff appearances (winning at least 12 games every season with the exception of one in which they had 10 wins) and a Superbowl victory in Indy, and I'd say he's done just fine in both places.

Let's also remember that TB won the Superbowl the year after he was fired--Gruden should get half the credit due to the vast improvement on offense, but Dungy's half of the credit shouldn't fall by the wayside.

And I don't put a whole lot into the "too soft" stuff. Dick Vermiel won a Superbowl, and he's the ultimate softie. Bill Walsh wan't a yeller either. If a guy can coach, he can coach.

Just my 1 cent.

Ummm, he turned the perennial losing TB franchise into a team that made the playoffs

thank you!

Just my 1 cent.

Vermeil is not the ultimate softy. His rams players were about to revolt stating practices were too hard before he decided to tone it down.

As far as Dungy goes, I dont know, he would not be bad but if Manning can not come with him, I really do not want him.

This is a pretty dumb post. I have made several myself but this is pretty damn dumb.

You are right that he would never take the job. The man leaves the most ideal situation last year to do other things. You honestly believe Tony Dungy says.. Yeah I am really tired of coaching that Peyton Manning guy. I wish I could go to a place where the owner meddles, the management is piss poor and my QB is a Ryan Fitzpatrick? Polian has told Dungy that Buffalo is not a place where he can be successful. The Bills would be damn lucky to get him. Damn Lucky.

Where is the link to this? Oh yeah I forgot you do not have one because you just made it up. I can not wait until Manning retires & see all the fairweather Indy Colt fans balk at paying all those high ticket prices in that overpriced oil can you guys call a stadium. Enjoy Manning now, because is not going to play forever & as bills fans could attest to, it is not that easy to replace a franchise qb. Without manning this year, the Colts are a 6-10 team.

Just my 1 cent.

Excellent post my friend. :rolleyes: