Bills to blow it all up

goynahan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How'd Jon Boy do AFTER that SB win with the Bucs (with Dungy's team)? 7-9 and then 5-11 if I recall correctly, before having one more good year and several bad to mediocre ones......

How did Gruden do? Not good afer the SB, with Brad Johnson's last gasps, Brian Greise, Simms, etc...

If Gruden actually had "Dungy's team" (Colts), I really have no doubt he would have won more than one SB.

Look fellas, when the barrel met the temple, Dungy's juggernaughts folded like beach chairs. This cannot be denied. How do you explain it? How does he lose all those playoff games with that greta a team (on both sides of the ball)?

Russ Grimm will be our next coach. That's all we can get and I guess I'm OK with that---as long as he fires everyone on this staff. I mean EVERYONE.

How did Gruden do? Not good afer the SB, with Brad Johnson's last gasps, Brian Greise, Simms, etc...

If Gruden actually had "Dungy's team" (Colts), I really have no doubt he would have won more than one SB.

Look fellas, when the barrel met the temple, Dungy's juggernaughts folded like beach chairs. This cannot be denied. How do you explain it? How does he lose all those playoff games with that greta a team (on both sides of the ball)?

Russ Grimm will be our next coach. That's all we can get and I guess I'm OK with that---as long as he fires everyone on this staff. I mean EVERYONE.

I agree with you that we're not getting Tony Dungy here. I disagree with you on the quality of Dungy as a coach. The standard you're holding him to seems to be whether his good to great teams won the SB every year he was coach, a near impossible standard to meet in a parity-driven League, yet you give him next to no credit for building or leading those teams and helping make them good to great. He's helped build winners twice as HC (and as noted, one franchise at least has suffered greatly in his absence as time went on, suggesting anecdotally at least that he had something to do with their success). Hasn't failed yet at making teams he's joined better. Too bad he won't get a shot here.

On Russ Grimm, if that's the best we can do I'd take him--better than the clowns we have now.....

Actually, "that 6-10" team was 10-6 the year before. And 13-3 the year before that. Manning, James, Harrison. Anyway, no I didn't think that team should have won a SB, sport. But at least two other Dungy Colts teams should have.

Dungy "coached" the Colts to 7 straight playoff years. In 4 of those years, they went "one and done", despite having the most consistently outstanding offensive machine of that period, despite mowing through their schedule--winning 12-14 games year after years. This includes the past two seasons.

Their defenses were ranked #2 in '05, #1 in '07 and #7 in '08-- to go along with top offenses. No SBs those years--in fact, not one playoff win. Those were the years before and after he somehow got out of the way and let them win a SB in '06.

Same thing in Tampa--two straight years losing the WC game (BOTH TIMES to the same team). Then Gruden walks in and----SB win.

Now Dungy's gone and the Colts are the best, toughest team in the NFL. Caldwell's some stiff (a "unblinking mannequin" as someone posted here) they dressed up and threw headphones on. Who's the OC on that team? Who cares? Manning runs that team---he has for years.

You can keep Tony. Don't bring him here. Useless for team like the Bills.

Either you're dislexic, or you're completely making stuff up.

The Buccaneers had 4 consecutive sub-0.500 years with Sam Wyche when Dungy was hired. In his first season, taking over for Wyche, the team went 6-10. This would be the 6-10 team that Dungy turned around and took to the playoffs 4 out of the next 5 seasons, sport.

Interestingly enough, you completely ignored my point regarding the 2006 playoff performance of the Colts' defense. During the regular season the Colts ranked 23rd in the league in team defense, but--if you recall--it was their D that stifled opponents' during the post-season and lead their Superbowl run. I'd call that just about anything other than famously failing to get the most out of his talented squad, wouldn't you?

And by the way, since you haven't heard of him (which means you're apparently are a casual football fan at best--since he's been their OC since Manning's rookie year and has been in and around the NFL for over 30 years), Indy's offensive coordinator is Tom Moore. He played in the old AFL during the 1960's as a FB. He was also the offensive coordinator for Pittsburgh during the late 70's and throughout the 80's, a time in which the Steelers won 2 Superbowls. But hey, most of us have probably never heard of him, right?

Except--of course--for the year that they won the Superbowl, thanks to their defense in the playoffs. This, truly, cannot be denied.

Dungy is a fine coach and a fine person, but I think he's going to stay retired. I thnk the death of his son took a lot out of him, and a return to coaching would take him away from his family. I'm not sure where some of these rumors get started, but Dungy bringing Vick with him to some potential job is just bizarre.

I have been saying for a while now that I thought we'd end up with Dungy (and probably Vick), especially after the comments Dungy made about what a great opportunity the Bills job is going to be for the next coach. I can definitely get behind the idea of hiring Dungy. In 13yrs as a head caoch, he has 139 wins and 69 losses and has only had 1 losing season and that includes the years he spent fixing Tampa from being a perennial laughing stock. I think he would be perfect for the Bills.

And I could live with Vick for a year or two while our 1st round QB develops.

An experienced GM + Dungy + Vick? I'd take that in a minute. Won't happen, but I'd take it in a minute.

We need a GM first and though Dungy might be the GM instead of coaching, either way we'd be stuck with the boring Tampa 2 defense (along with P. Fewell). That to me is NOT blowing up this franchise and starting over. We need a football mind at the top who brings in toughness, cold weather ball. This is not Tampa and we don't have a dome.

If Dungy comes I am ok. If Dungy and Vick come I am gone. Not because Vick is a scumbag criminal but becuase he is old and simply not that good. He never was a top flight QB even in his best days.

Either you're dislexic, or you're completely making stuff up.

The Buccaneers had 4 consecutive sub-0.500 years with Sam Wyche when Dungy was hired. In his first season, taking over for Wyche, the team went 6-10. This would be the 6-10 team that Dungy turned around and took to the playoffs 4 out of the next 5 seasons, sport.

Interestingly enough, you completely ignored my point regarding the 2006 playoff performance of the Colts' defense. During the regular season the Colts ranked 23rd in the league in team defense, but--if you recall--it was their D that stifled opponents' during the post-season and lead their Superbowl run. I'd call that just about anything other than famously failing to get the most out of his talented squad, wouldn't you?

And by the way, since you haven't heard of him (which means you're apparently are a casual football fan at best--since he's been their OC since Manning's rookie year and has been in and around the NFL for over 30 years), Indy's offensive coordinator is Tom Moore. He played in the old AFL during the 1960's as a FB. He was also the offensive coordinator for Pittsburgh during the late 70's and throughout the 80's, a time in which the Steelers won 2 Superbowls. But hey, most of us have probably never heard of him, right?

Actually, as is clear in my response, the 6-10 team I was referring to was the Colts. Sorry, bro.

As I mentioned in passing, Dungy's playoff futility in his final years in Tampa were erased with the simple arrival of Gruden. No amount of "made up" nonsense can erase that fact.

Dungy built the Colts? Really? From his office in Tampa Bay? I'm sure that a lot of HC (who were just sh**canned from their last job) would love to "build" a team that already has Manning, James, Harrison, Wayne, Rhodes.....

As for your reference to 2006, I didn't ignore your point. I just didn't think it helped you to bring it up. But since you did.....the Colts ultimately got the free SB pass (i.e., the opportunity to beat on the Bears) because they won a high scoring game agaisnt the Pats after getting behind 21-3. The offense scored 4 times in the second half.

But even if it was a "stifling D" in that SB run--the simple question remains (and is even more on point): why couldn't Dungy produce a SB win when he had top offenses and defenses the year before and after the SB? Instead one and done. How is that possible?? Did the league suddenly enjoy more "parity" in 2005? 2007? His teams were 14-2 and 13-3 those two years!! That's not parity. Come on---help yourself out here! Even Marv would have won a ring with that crew.

I know who Tom Moore is. I was being sarcastic (whoops! look up!). The point is he is even more unnecessary than was Dungy for the success of that team. If you aren't sure who runs the offense or calls the plays on the Colts, then you aren't much of a casual observer.

Look Dungy seems like a nice man--even if he is always jamming his niceness down the public's throat. But I honestly don't see how he's going to turn this team around, even with Bill Polian himself in our FO.

You want to look beyond all of this and say he's a great coach (great like Billick, then--another SB winner?), then I won't take that away from you.

I don't know about Dungy. Yeah great in Indy, not so good in Tampa. I think he may be too soft for what needs to happen here in Buffalo

He seems soft, but his defenses in Minnesota and Tampa were downright dirty. His past history suggests he doesn't mind having dirty players and playing on the edge of the rules if his teams win. I don't think being soft is as much his problem as being offensively challenged. Despite his success he never seemed completely comfortable when Peyton Manning had the ball, always seemed a little like it was out of his hands and that he didn't know what to expect next.

I don't know, why don't you ask Hall Of Fame coach Marv Levy!!

We need a GM first and though Dungy might be the GM instead of coaching, either way we'd be stuck with the boring Tampa 2 defense (along with P. Fewell).

I wouldn't mind having the success the Colts have running that "boring Tampa 2 defense". I don't care what kind of defense we run as long as it works. Winning is never boring.