Where Have All the Lefties Gone?

Chef Jim

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

California state income tax on incomes from $47K- 1M is 9.3%.

3% here in Illinois, but as a corporation I get to pay an additional 1.5% for the priviledge of doing business here. Don't worry, Democratic governor is talking about going to 4.5% + 1.5% or more. We'll catch up to the rest of the liberal states soon enough.

Do you know we have free (or near free) health care here for kids. Nice idea but many of the illegals here who have kids enroll without any strings attached.

3% here in Illinois, but as a corporation I get to pay an additional 1.5% for the priviledge of doing business here. Don't worry, Democratic governor is talking about going to 4.5% + 1.5% or more. We'll catch up to the rest of the liberal states soon enough.

Another interesting note: the state of California last month started holding back an extra 10% from every single paycheck in the state to help them get through the year, with the understanding that we'll get it back on our tax returns next year.

That's right. They took our money...interest free, without our permission...with a plan to give it back sometime next year.

Unbelievable.

And it doesn't mean it WILL lag longer. You don't know any better than I do when it will start. I do know that I got caught in a RIF in November, 2002 close to the beginning of a recoveryfrom the earlier recession and didn't see hiring really start to pick up in earnest until later in 2003. That recession started in 2000.

The first thing that happens is that layoffs slow. Then as things stablize hiring will gradually start and increase. The fact is this was a pretty bad recession.

While becoming President to do something egomanical, like topping an unpopular dictator or passing "landmark" legislation, is certainly within the realm of possibility, what are the odds we'd have TWO of them back to back. Go figure.

<_<

Waaaaaaaait a minute. I thought Bush started the recessions. :rolleyes:

Problem is that we won't get the return and it was obvious to most at the time that it was a poorly conceived plan.

Please clarify.

Health care is another poorly conceived plan. While Obama's heart is in the right place, he doesn't have a Congress with any kind of sack enough for this type of business and it is business that they ultimately dictate.

Fixed.

And it doesn't mean it WILL lag longer. You don't know any better than I do when it will start. I do know that I got caught in a RIF in November, 2002 close to the beginning of a recoveryfrom the earlier recession and didn't see hiring really start to pick up in earnest until later in 2003. That recession started in 2000.

The first thing that happens is that layoffs slow. Then as things stablize hiring will gradually start and increase. The fact is this was a pretty bad recession.

While becoming President to do something egomanical, like topping an unpopular dictator or passing "landmark" legislation, is certainly within the realm of possibility, what are the odds we'd have TWO of them back to back. Go figure.

:rolleyes:

Actually, he does know better than you since he is the business owner, and you are not. In this thread alone, there are talking heads who have provided an opinion. Two of them are from business owners, who are responsible for the hiring decisions. Didn't sound to me that they're optimistic on adding more staff any time soon. It could change, but their mood is not optimistic.

Others in this thread are giving opinions on their observations from what they hear their bosses and other bosses say. The trend is more pessimistic than optimistic.

So if I was going to bet on a jobs recovery, the first people I would ask would be business owners, and not economists, politicians or news reporters.

Civilian Job Employment Rate - for the last 10 years

Check the third box, then hit the retrieve data button at the bottom of the page. From that page you can add the graph of the data if you're the type that likes to look at charts. This is the US Department of Labor Statistical Database, i.e., the horse's mouth. We're currently at 65% employment rate - down from 67.2% in 1999. However, the population is a lot larger now than it was then.

According to ADP (Tom Golisano's chief competitor) Small Business Unemployment losses are stabilizing. But the news is not good.

This "recovery" is a jobless recovery - for many of the reasons already stated here. There's too much risk and uncertainty for companies of all sizes - but especially small ones that can be snuffed out in a heartbeat by a bad decision - to bring in more workers and add to their fixed costs. Add to that President BO's love affair with unions - which are the antithesis of small business growth and the penchant for over-regulation and high taxation for those earning anything over $200k - which are mostly small business owners - and you have a recipe for crap pies - not job creation. Sure, Donald Trump and Ralph can afford to pay a few more shekels to Uncle Sam, but most small business owners can't.

Look for more workers to hit the bread line when "healthcare" gets nationalized. I can see ethical pharmaceutical development being dragged to a halt. Why bother with discovery and development? Good luck to those in the CRO industry and those earning a decent living supporting it.

Federal pay has gone way up. I was listening to a local show this Am and I didn't catch the source, but they stated facts such as in the Federal DOT, there was one person making >100K. Now it is > 1,000. In the DOD, there were 1,000, now it is 11,000!.

Do as I say, not as I do.

Actually, he does know better than you since he is the business owner, and you are not. In this thread alone, there are talking heads who have provided an opinion. Two of them are from business owners, who are responsible for the hiring decisions. Didn't sound to me that they're optimistic on adding more staff any time soon. It could change, but their mood is not optimistic.

Others in this thread are giving opinions on their observations from what they hear their bosses and other bosses say. The trend is more pessimistic than optimistic.

So if I was going to bet on a jobs recovery, the first people I would ask would be business owners, and not economists, politicians or news reporters.

And how many businesses does he own, pray tell? One?

My company is hiring. IBM is hiring, and they gave raises and bonuses. Xerox is hiring. Microsoft is hiring.

If the people you are referring to are wingnuts like you and LAB, of course they're pessimistic. That's the hallmark of the wingnut.

I am neither optimistic or pessimistic. I am realistic. Assuming that the economy is starting to recover, as it improves jobs will follow. Anyone who things that one or two positive signs should trigger massive hiring is a freaking idiot and any company that did so would have some 'splaining to do to stockholders / stakeholders.

My company is hiring. IBM is hiring, and they gave raises and bonuses. Xerox is hiring. Microsoft is hiring.

How many people has your company added? Does this round of hiring follow a round of layoffs?

How many jobs have IBM, Xerox, and Microsoft added? Is it anywhere near the 5,000 cuts at IBM, 3,000 cuts at Xerox, 5,000 cuts at Microsoft

If the people you are referring to are wingnuts like you and LAB, of course they're pessimistic. That's the hallmark of the wingnut.

I am neither optimistic or pessimistic. I am realistic. Assuming that the economy is starting to recover, as it improves jobs will follow. Anyone who things that one or two positive signs should trigger massive hiring is a freaking idiot and any company that did so would have some 'splaining to do to stockholders / stakeholders.

Glad my post could bring you guys out of the closet because these posts are a hoot.

Wow, you make it sound like unemployment should be at 3% next month.

I got news for ya, chicky. My business is my life. It's everything I have. When I watch a moron like Obama spending us into oblivion while pissing on the free market every chance he gets, you bet you're ass I'm pessimistic, and it's not because I'm a conservative. It's because I have people on my payroll who have families they support with the money they earn from my company, with health care I provide to every freaking one of them on my freaking dime. I don't need a kool-aid-drinking blind-as-a-bat cubicle-dweller to simply repeat what your president says a million times about small business owners like me.

"They're wingnuts. Of course they're pessimistic. That's the hallmark of a wingnut."

I swear, reading your mindless drivel really helps me understand why some mother animals eat their young.

Wow, you make it sound like unemployment should be at 3% next month.

I got news for ya, chicky. My business is my life. It's everything I have. When I watch a moron like Obama spending us into oblivion while pissing on the free market every chance he gets, you bet you're ass I'm pessimistic, and it's not because I'm a conservative. It's because I have people on my payroll who have families they support with the money they earn from my company, with health care I provide to every freaking one of them on my freaking dime. I don't need a kool-aid-drinking blind-as-a-bat cubicle-dweller to simply repeat what your president says a million times about small business owners like me.

"They're wingnuts. Of course they're pessimistic. That's the hallmark of a wingnut."

I swear, reading your mindless drivel really helps me understand why some mother animals eat their young.

Hey dude don't worry about your employees. I heard IBM was hiring. :lol: