What if a "big name" doesn't come?

lifefan

If it aint a big name player that's washed up, it'll be something else... a stupid draft pick that everyone wants... like "Pusslusny", Maybin, or "Hardly"... or a new type hat, new unis.... anything to sell tickets to the stupid, but no substantive changes that would turn the franchise around to winning consistently.

Look, Ralph is 92. There's no longer a fire in the belly. Winning is that last thing he gives a crap about. He knows, at his age, he doesn't have a lot of time left... that's a fact of nature. His focus is squarely exiting this world leaving his heirs with a well thought out estate with next to no headaches. Brandon's orders are to jus keep on keeping on. Sell tickets. When fans B word about the losing, Ralph will give the necessary lip service.... we've all heard it before.

"This is unacceptable"

"I'm going to look at the entire organization"

"we're going to be a major player in free agency"

All this crap about him going to pay up to $10M/yr. for a coach is BS, more lip service... ain't happening.

If it aint a big name player that's washed up, it'll be something else... a stupid draft pick that everyone wants... like "Pusslusny", Maybin, or "Hardly"... or a new type hat, new unis.... anything to sell tickets to the stupid, but no substantive changes that would turn the franchise around to winning consistently.

Look, Ralph is 92. There's no longer a fire in the belly. Winning is that last thing he gives a crap about. He knows, at his age, he doesn't have a lot of time left... that's a fact of nature. His focus is squarely exiting this world leaving his heirs with a well thought out estate with next to no headaches. Brandon's orders are to jus keep on keeping on. Sell tickets. When fans B word about the losing, Ralph will give the necessary lip service.... we've all heard it before.

"This is unacceptable"

All this crap about him going to pay up to $10M/yr. for a coach is BS, more lip service... ain't happening.

Wow, that's the spirit Ebenezer Scrooge.

Guest dog14787
If RW doesn't get a "big name" guy with his $10 mil, or more/year, and he says he has to "settle" for another (cheaper) guy, will he use that left over money for a new GM/front office types, or new players?

Revamping the GM/FO is what this team really needs anyway and let the GM hire a HC.

Revamping the GM/FO is what this team really needs anyway and let the GM hire a HC.

Agreed. Getting a big-name coach and letting him do everything is a high-risk move. Best to get a good GM and let him put together a front office and coaching staff

PTR

"This is unacceptable"

I could not agree with you more I'll believe it when I see it.I think RW is just blowing smoke up are you no whats.

How many "name" guys want to coach in a small market with no starting QB, a poor OL, strong safeties playing LB, and a nonagenarian for an owner who is known league-wide as the meddling decision maker. When RW said signing TO was a commitment to success I laughed and wondered: does he really have a handle on what's going on league wide?

Go ahead and call fans who recognize these items as negative, but if you don't think they factor into where that "name" guy goes you're fooling yourself.

I have this sinking feeling that we'll hear the Bills tried and it didn't work, so they had to fall back on a retread. Frankly, trusting 91 year old men to rebuild a franchise is worse than wishful thinking, it's insanity.

How many "name" guys want to coach in a small market with no starting QB, a poor OL, strong safeties playing LB, and a nonagenarian for an owner who is known league-wide as the meddling decision maker.

bingo... thats why I think we'd be better off with some younger coaches looking to prove themselves. If they want a place to come, recruit, coach and show the world what they can bring from nothing, then the bills are where they want...

or at least it would be nice to think of it that way

Sounds good on paper. But when the season's over there's gonna be a run on the head coaches and GMs. So if you go after a GM first, by the time he gets hired and working, the good coaches will be gone. Go for both at the same time.

If RW doesn't get a "big name" guy with his $10 mil, or more/year, and he says he has to "settle" for another (cheaper) guy, will he use that left over money for a new GM/front office types, or new players?

I believe that its either going to be Shanny or a offensive coordinator type like Russ Grimm. I don't think that Ralph is going to go with a retread like Martz or Haslet. Its big name or try and strike with a coordinator.

I believe that its either going to be Shanny or a offensive coordinator type like Russ Grimm. I don't think that Ralph is going to go with a retread like Martz or Haslet. Its big name or try and strike with a coordinator.

Shanny is by no means the only big name. There are a ton out there. Let me name a few. Cowher, Dungy, Holmgren, Billick, Fassel, Gruden, Callahan, Martz, the Mooch, Reeves, Vermiel, Capers, Marty, perhaps Fox, Lovie Smith, or Jeff Fisher. I'd take any of these guys over Grimm.

If we don't get a "big name" then it's like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day or The Talking Heads lyric...

"Same as it ever was... Same as it ever was... Same as it ever was."

*Making choping motion across left forearm with right hand*

For those who don't get the reference, forward to the 3:50 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-io-kZKl_BI

I would rather he spent that money on a #1 GM. I dont care if Moses was the coach, he wouldnt be able to assemble this team to win with out the nessasary players