Colts workout Losman

iommi

Why would the SAME OC, architect of JP's best season in 2006, DELIBERATELY change that successful offense? Why would an OC choose to change the formula for his starting QB that ranked 11th in the league? That's right, he wouldn't. And Fairchild didn't.

After JP's injury in '07, Fairchild dumbed down the playbook for Edwards which was the smart thing to do considering they were throwing a rookie onto the field. That was the only "changing" Fairchild did.

The only thing that changed for JP was teams had him figured out (read: teams very seldom let him see single coverage on Evans) and, seeing as he wasn't very good at reading defenses and going through his progressions, his play worsened. It worsened to the point that just getting "adequate" play from Edwards was enough to force JP to the bench. Didn't help that JP suffered from a crisis of confidence and put so much pressure on himself that there was no way he was going to recover.

Hopefully, he's matured, learned to read defenses, and can get himself back into the league. But this revisionist history of Fairchild changing his offense needs to stop. It simply didn't happen.

GO BILLS!!!

A link to JPs '07 stats...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/game...&sYear=2007

I completely forgot that after his injury, it wasn't until the second half of that Jets game (85 yard bomb to Lee) that JP did get a second chance to play again that year. Then the Bills beat Cincy, beat Miami (not that either were good teams), got killed by New England on Sunday night, then lost at Jax. The Jax game was bad enough on JPs part that Dick decided to go with Trent the rest of the year.

I'd still prefer JPs big play/big mistake making ability over Trents dink & dunk style, but either way offensive line is and has been the biggest problem for the Bills in my mind since the Jim Kelly days. Flutie is the only Bills QB in my mind since Kelly that had the ability to win behind a bad offensive line.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know which is the greater myth, Aaron Maybin's first step or J.P. Losman's '06 season.

The only thing Losman did in '06 was compile stats in garbage time after he shot himself in the foot for 3 quarters.

Lets take a look at all of those losses in 06.

@NE lost by 2

NYJ lost by 8

@ Chicago lost by 33

@ Detroit lost by 3

NE lost by 22

@ INDY lost by 1

SD lost by 3

TENN. lost by 1

@BALT. lost by 12

The reality is Buffalo had a brutal schedule that year and some of the worst assembled talent in years. JP had a very good season for a second year starter and the team was only beaten badly a couple of times. While I'm not a JP apologist, I have to wonder what could have been, had Dick not derailed his career.

Lets take a look at all of those losses in 06.

@NE lost by 2

NYJ lost by 8

@ Chicago lost by 33

@ Detroit lost by 3

NE lost by 22

@ INDY lost by 1

SD lost by 3

TENN. lost by 1

@BALT. lost by 12

The reality is Buffalo had a brutal schedule that year and some of the worst assembled talent in years. JP had a very good season for a second year starter and the team was only beaten badly a couple of times. While I'm not a JP apologist, I have to wonder what could have been, had Dick not derailed his career.

More excuses for JP...love it...and if only Jim Kelly did'nt have Hank Bullough in his first year...oh wait, he was able to overcome that....oh and Payton Manning with Jim Mora as his head coach his first season, oh wait he overcame that. See if you have that "it" factor from the beginning you can overcome bad coaching, that is the difference between QBs with talent and projects like Losman and Edwards and whatever other scrubs the Bills bring in.

What's histerical about this is: If the Colts sign JP AND clinch home field b4 the game with the Bills, LOSMAN will be playing QB for the Colts at the Ralph in the last game of the season... !! who'da thunk?

I would love to see JP tear it up against us. Haters all over our board. I would love to hear their reaction if that was the case

More excuses for JP...love it...and if only Jim Kelly did'nt have Hank Bullough in his first year...oh wait, he was able to overcome that....oh and Payton Manning with Jim Mora as his head coach his first season, oh wait he overcame that. See if you have that "it" factor from the beginning you can overcome bad coaching, that is the difference between QBs with talent and projects like Losman and Edwards and whatever other scrubs the Bills bring in.

Lol, just the response I expected. Like I said I'm not a JP apologist, and i do believe he was/is a project. I hesitated to even respond to the 06 season because of the reaction it usually ignites. Losman's second year was not all that different from Jimbo's first three. I am by no means saying that he had a great career cut short by coaching. I'm just of the opinion he still has a shred of upside, but not here in Buffalo. I hope he does alright.

I was NOT a Losman supporter at all. BUT, with this awful O-line, and Evans and TO, I think we would have been much better this year had he been the QB.

This comment makes no sense. JP failed miserably behind far better talent than this O-line now has. How could he possibly done any better this year? For all his mythical "speed" and "scrambling ability"--he never could run away from anybody and was sacked relentlessly.

Nobody wants to admit they were wrong, but come on fellas! You can only reinvent JPL into something he is not---in your OWN minds. Be satisfied with that.

This comment makes no sense. JP failed miserably behind far better talent than this O-line now has. How could he possibly done any better this year? For all his mythical "speed" and "scrambling ability"--he never could run away from anybody and was sacked relentlessly.

Nobody wants to admit they were wrong, but come on fellas! You can only reinvent JPL into something he is not---in your OWN minds. Be satisfied with that.

I definatley think that JP would have been decimated behind this line but I also believe he would have put the ball in the hands of playmakers more often. Probably defenders as well. The overall results would have been not much different. I just said that JP has a shred of upside, but by no means is he a good enough QB to overcome the Bills current situation.

Why would the SAME OC, architect of JP's best season in 2006, DELIBERATELY change that successful offense? Why would an OC choose to change the formula for his starting QB that ranked 11th in the league? That's right, he wouldn't. And Fairchild didn't.

After JP's injury in '07, Fairchild dumbed down the playbook for Edwards which was the smart thing to do considering they were throwing a rookie onto the field. That was the only "changing" Fairchild did.

The only thing that changed for JP was teams had him figured out (read: teams very seldom let him see single coverage on Evans) and, seeing as he wasn't very good at reading defenses and going through his progressions, his play worsened. It worsened to the point that just getting "adequate" play from Edwards was enough to force JP to the bench. Didn't help that JP suffered from a crisis of confidence and put so much pressure on himself that there was no way he was going to recover.

Hopefully, he's matured, learned to read defenses, and can get himself back into the league. But this revisionist history of Fairchild changing his offense needs to stop. It simply didn't happen.

GO BILLS!!!

The only thing I can say about coaching quarterbacks in Buffalo is when Mularkey left Sam Wyche left with him. Who took over? Turk Schonert who has a long record of destroying promising quarterbacks careers. See the list of folks he coached and it becomes very clear where the problem was.

Why? Are you just so much enthralled by JP in some way that simply overpowers being a Bills fan? :wallbash:

He sucks and is a proven, perpetual loser, but do keep clinging to that shred of hope for whatever reason. :thumbsup:

Bill,

I think some people still root for Clean up the city boy for a few reasons. Although as you say he is a proven perpetual loser with a new championship ring, many fans like their team's QB to be somewhat masculine and loyal.

By masculine I do not mean rough and tumble like a 5'10" CB, but really just to avoid being feminine. For instance, there is no need to wear gloves and be afraid to throw a football. By comparison to these traits, JP looks masculine. He may make stupid plays but masculinity and stupidity are far from mutually exclusive.

JP also embraced Buffalo which for some people is important. It does not translate to success on the football field but it can be nice for some to know that their QB and "team Leader" does not bolt for California because he is literally intimidated by snow.

People get confused not because they have bailed on the Bills but because they feel the Bills have bailed on them. The alternative to JP has now proven himself to be a perpetual loser as well and did so with all the girlishness you'd expect from a Los Gatos.

I think the bottom line here is that two wrongs don't make a right. As soon as the Bills get a real QB, JP and TE will both be forgotten. Personally I think either Tim Tebow or Jay Clocker would be good choices but I am far from an NFL scout. Tebow may be available in the 2nd round allowing us to shore up our pass defense in the first. :P

Not to say I disagree with your point, but your examples of QBs "overcoming" coaches I'm not so sure about.

Unlike JP/Jauron, Bullough was fired during the middle of Kelly's first season. Kelly was 2-7 while Bullough was coach, so he never really had to "overcome" Bullough b/c Bullough was gone before Kelly started winning.

As for Manning/Mora, Manning did have a horrible first season in the NFL (3-13, 28 INTs, 71.2 QB Rating). The next two seasons under Mora, Manning had two seasons with a QB rating over 90, and led his team to the playoffs only to get knocked out early. Manning/Mora then had the "PLAYOFFS?" season (84 QB Rating) in which they did not make the playoffs and Mora was fired. Even the HOF Manning regressed in his 4th season in the NFL. If you believe Mora was that bad of a coach, Manning did not "overcome" anything in that season.

Mora never won in the playoffs, but his overall record dominates guys like Jauron and Bullough. He's really a tier (or two) above Jauron/Bullough.

Yeah, but no QB has ever overcome Dick Jauron. Nobody. Can't be done.

Guest dog14787

Just posted this on the Colts sports forum:

I'm a home grown die hard Bills fan and I'm here to tell you a big part of the Buffalo Bills fan base feels like JP Losman was mishandled in Buffalo by a FO and coaching staffs that obviously doesn't have a clue. We ruin QB's, just take a look at Trent Edwards, another smart promising QB ruined by the hands of our organization. I can only hope here in Buffalo things will change because its been over a decade now of not reaching the playoffs as we churn through players and coaches like a monkey eating bananas' and crapping them out his you know what.

Jim Fassel has done wonders with JP Losman, JP had some things that needed to be corrected. Fassel asked JP to widen his stance durring delivery, bend at the knees a little when he throws so it will stabalize his throwing motion which JP has done. Now these things may not sound like much to you and I , but have made all the difference in the world to Losman's improvement in timing and accuracy. Amazing what a little bit of good coaching can do for a player that has taken on some bad habits. Fassel deserves allot of credit for the job he did with JP and the Loco's.

JP Losman is a Championship caliber QB in the makings in my opinion and has one of the prettiest long balls you will ever see. I for one have never stopped believing in JP Losman and it would be really nice to see JP make an example of how pathetic our FO and Coaching has been so come January RW doesn't hedge from his promise to make big changes regardless of the cost.

It would be an honor to have JP Losman come into Buffalo on the last game of the season playing for a GM and an organization that knows what the hell their doing and kick our buns.

Have a great Holiday Season Folks, take care and God Bless...

Reality sucks now doesn't it, and if I can say it on another board I will say it to everyone here, we need wholesale changes in Buffalo, this BS has gone on long enough don't you think. :thumbsup:

Alright JP!!! The disasterous culmination of Jauron's tenure as head coach leads me to believe it wasn't all this kid's fault. Had a great attitude and a hell of an arm, but was deaf to the pass rush. If he could have just taken better care of the rock when he was back there things may have turned out differently.

Hope he gets another shot at the big league.

He did have this Bledsoe-esque habit of hanging onto the ball too long and staring down his receivers, as well...