Fewell is going to complicate the coaching search big time

PromoTheRobot

Its not really a mystery why Ralph hires his head coaches on the cheap, is it? The fans let him get away with it.

I have nothing against Perry Fewell, but when the guy's resume is basically that a) he's not Dick Jauron and b) he's a better head coaching candidate than Alex Van Pelt, I just can't get too excited about the possibility that he might retain this job.

Exactly. Now we have people claiming Fewell should get the job, he is the real deal blah blah blah. It just amazes me how Bills fans are willing to settle. All Ralph does is change the color of bow he puts on the polished Turd and the fans are all over it.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh hell, we are screwed. Anything at all to let Ralph out of hiring a HC with a proven record. I'll say it again, the FANS are why this team sucks, they keep letting Ralph off the hook.

And here I thought I was responsible for the win today because I changed my mojo by changing my game day shirt and only eating chips after they scored. All that will power, and I still suck!

So you're telling me I could have all the chips and dip I wanted?

Oh hell, we are screwed. Anything at all to let Ralph out of hiring a HC with a proven record. I'll say it again, the FANS are why this team sucks, they keep letting Ralph off the hook.

So you are saying that you, DarthICE, know for sure who is the next best coach for the Bills that will take the job? There has never been a coach that I know of that has won the SB on two teams. None of the major players in the hunt (Cowher, Shanahan, Gruden, Holmgren) have had ANY success as a GM. We seriously need BOTH. I would much rather have a guy in charge of the entire organization that knew what he was doing as far as FA and drafting and contracts than I guy I thought was good as a coach, EVERYTHING is a crapshoot. There isnt one guy who is a sure thing, especially the top guys like Cowher and Shanahan.

Personally, I would be very happy with a solid GM in place, and if HE thought Fewell was the guy to run the team, I could go with that. Fewell has got a lot out of little for a long time. He did a great job, IMO, as a HC over two games. We'll see what he does the last five.

FWIW, I would like Shanahan to come in and run the whole show.

Say Fewell wins 5 games, including a win over NE* and he goes 8-8 with a rag tag bunch of street free agents. The Bills are going to have a real hard time picking someone over him. Plus you are going to see a real division between fans wanting to stick with Perry and those who want the marquee hire.

PTR

That's unrealistic

say Fewell goes 3-4 and the team continues to play as hard and agressive as they have shown these past 2 weeks

He's got to be considered then as well. He can't help the fact that the teams O-line is beyond awful.

This team needs to rebuild the front 7 on defense and get some healthy, smart o-linemen in here.

As of right now, he deserves a serious look if we can't land real big game!

So you are saying that you, DarthICE, know for sure who is the next best coach for the Bills that will take the job? There has never been a coach that I know of that has won the SB on two teams. None of the major players in the hunt (Cowher, Shanahan, Gruden, Holmgren) have had ANY success as a GM. We seriously need BOTH. I would much rather have a guy in charge of the entire organization that knew what he was doing as far as FA and drafting and contracts than I guy I thought was good as a coach, EVERYTHING is a crapshoot. There isnt one guy who is a sure thing, especially the top guys like Cowher and Shanahan.

Personally, I would be very happy with a solid GM in place, and if HE thought Fewell was the guy to run the team, I could go with that. Fewell has got a lot out of little for a long time. He did a great job, IMO, as a HC over two games. We'll see what he does the last five.

FWIW, I would like Shanahan to come in and run the whole show.

That pretty much sums it up for me. I'm delighted as ever that Ralph seems to be seriously going after Shanahan. Not so much because I think Shanny is guaranteed to get us in a Superbowl, but more so because I think Shanny will immediately make us a well-coached, respected and winning team.

However, if Shanny says no. Then, let's get the best GM candidate we can and let him decide if Fewell or whoever is the best person for the job.

We needed an unbelievable stupid halfback throw and an awful Henne performance along with a 56yd FG to propel a win vs. Miami. Now we're beating NE for the first time in eleventy years? :flirt:

I would be second time, or first time in 6 years. But who's counting? :D

We needed an unbelievable stupid halfback throw and an awful Henne performance along with a 56yd FG to propel a win vs. Miami. Now we're beating NE for the first time in eleventy years? :flirt:

With the Bills OL and QB situation, as well as their DL and LB and secondary situation, would you give any coach any chance against anyone?

Say Fewell wins 5 games, including a win over NE* and he goes 8-8 with a rag tag bunch of street free agents. The Bills are going to have a real hard time picking someone over him. Plus you are going to see a real division between fans wanting to stick with Perry and those who want the marquee hire.

PTR

If Fewell gets this team moving in the right direction with solid five wins to end the season then he should be named the head coach. I don't care about big names, I just want someone who knows how to coach, loves to coach, loves Buffalo, is extremely competitive and has a lot of spark and fire in his belly.

With the Bills OL and QB situation, as well as their DL and LB and secondary situation, would you give any coach any chance against anyone?

Indeed, vastly inferior personnel is the primary reason I don't like our chances of beating an elite team; if that's what you're asking.

Need to hire a GM. Period. Then let him interview coaches. Maybe Fewell gets the job, but not unless the GM makes the hire.

I got an obscure name for you. David Caldwell, head of college scouting for the Falcons.

Was under Polian in INDY for years. Then was brought to Atlanta by Dimitrof. Has spent 12 years under INDY/N.E run systems.

He is young, oh and is a Buffalo boy.

Just a thought.

:flirt:

Need to hire a GM. Period. Then let him interview coaches. Maybe Fewell gets the job, but not unless the GM makes the hire.

I got an obscure name for you. David Caldwell, head of college scouting for the Falcons.

Was under Polian in INDY for years. Then was brought to Atlanta by Dimitrof. Has spent 12 years under INDY/N.E run systems.

He is young, oh and is a Buffalo boy.

Just a thought.

Excellent post and I agree completely. The Cleveland PD posted a nice article on Gene Smith at Jacksonville also:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/..._browns_le.html

While he is from Ohio he also pissed off the Browns because he jumped in and claimed one of their players they were trying to put on IR. It's at least worth Buffalo looking into, they NEED to be talking to these types of guys as much/more than coaches. Do things right, let's get a real GM/FO first.

Seriously, you've got to give the guy some credit for getting this group to put forth an effort like they did today with so many starters out of the lineup. It is a good problem to have. I personally have no hang up on needing a big name coach to come in. Just because Jauron, Mularkey, and Williams were mistakes does not mean only a big name coach can succeed here. It just means that the FO has swung and missed -- doesn't mean you have to stop swinging. Fewell might just be the guy. Here's a thought -- wouldn't it just SUCK if we brought in Shanahan and he didn't do so well, but Fewell went on to take ANOTHER team to the playoffs? Yes, that would suck big time. It's too early to pass judgment. Let's see how he finishes the season out, but so far I like what I see. I hope his success continues and that he becomes a legitimate contender to take over permanently.

If it were ONLY Jauron, Mularky & Williams, yeah, give Perry a chance. But there are many others through the teams' history like Bullough, Harvey Johnson I & II, Stephenson. We haven't hired a 'name' since Chuck Knox.

Personally, I'd like to see a name guy here.

the bills are 4 - 7......they need to win 4 of 5 (jets, kc, ne, atl & indy) to get to 8 & 8. i don't see that happening. i also don't see fewell being head coach next year under any circumstances. i do give fewell credit for playing to win (aggressive, attacking and taking risks) versus Jaurons style of playing not to lose. i also enjoy fewells post game comments as more direct, honest and sincere versus Jaurons style of non answers.

The Bills must hire a GM that can evaluate talent and this may be Fewell's downfall regardless of how well this team plays down the stretch. While Fewell has added a spark he has not fixed the deeply rooted problems that exist within the Bills organization. I hope he does win out and maybe then does become the next coach but only if a new GM elects to keep him and there is a very hard look at talent and schemes.

The Tampa-2 - undersized defense philosphy needs to go. The Bills also have a rebuilding project on the o-line - yes perhaps the middle of the line is in place but they have no talent at the edges of the line and their lack of depth has been exposed. I am not trying to rain on the parade just want to say that the Bills need to be honest with the challenge that is in front of them.

I wouldn't mind Fewell if we can't sign shanahan. There were some calls that I've loved so far in the past few games and I think showed the guy has what it takes to be a coach. Then again I don't think this organization would want to put itself in the situation of hiring a coach that doesnt have a solid track record.

All the people screaming for a "name" head coach are the same people that run players out of town then look on in amazement as they play well for other teams. Bringing in Shanahan and asking him to do everything is not going to work. It hasn't worked with Parcells, it hasn't worked with Holmgren, it likely won't work here. There have been a grand total of ONE coach that has won the Super Bowl with two different teams and that was 40 years ago.

If Fewell manages to get this rag tag group of misfits to finish at or above .500 (for his games as HC) then he not only deserves consideration for the HC spot he deserves a bust in the freaking Hall of Fame. The armchair geniuses here continue to overlook the fact that our personnel isn't just young and inexperienced, they're downright awful at many positions. There are guys taking snaps on the offensive line that probably don't even belong in the league. In a normal year they wouldn't even make the team.

Fewell might just be the next great coach but we'll probably never know because the mouth breathers will demand that we get somebody they've heard of. The intelligent approach would be to see how this thing plays out. If Fewell continues to coach well then give him the job, bring in a competent GM and spend the money you'd throw at Shanahan on real players.