Jim Kelly clears things up...

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...7d-753a30e1fc1d

On the future -

I guarantee that Russ Brandon and Mr. Wilson will do whatever it takes to land the best possible coach whether it’s an established coach or a top coach that they target. I have total faith in Russ and Mr. Wilson to do whatever it takes to bring this team back to where it once was.

I think it’s safe to say that Mr. Wilson is committed to getting it right with his head coach once and for all. I don’t believe he wants to take a chance with a coach. He wants one that is established with a reputation. I haven’t spoken with him myself, but I’m sure he doesn’t want to go through what he has these past 10 years, which is hiring and firing and hiring and firing.

On the media twisting his words around for a story -

ESPN was criticizing my comment about how the Bills have struggled with California quarterbacks with the last three for Buffalo being Rob Johnson, J.P. Losman and Trent Edwards. They tried to counter that statement by saying what about Dan Fouts, Troy Aikman and Warren Moon?

Well they missed the point. Dan Fouts played in San Diego, Aikman played in Dallas and Moon played in a dome in Houston. The point was not to knock California quarterbacks. It was more a point about what Buffalo needs to consider at the quarterback position in addition to physical talent. The Bills need to have a quarterback that’s mentally tough enough while also possessing the skill set needed to adjust to playing in the poor weather that Buffalo dishes out each and every November and December.

It was not a blanket statement that California quarterbacks haven’t been successful. The recent track record of Bills quarterbacks from California just isn’t very good in terms of adjusting to Buffalo weather, and it’s my contention that they need to look at a signal caller that’s perhaps more suited to dealing with what Buffalo offers late in every football season.

Now a guy like Tebow, who grew up in the south, is a guy that I believe is mentally tough enough and has a skill set that can successfully adapt to playing in poor weather. And a couple of the other top QBs from the south may be as well. That’s up to Bills’ scouting staff to determine whether they can adapt to throwing in a much more challenging weather city like Buffalo. It’s an important factor. Hopefully my opinion is clearer now for everyone. See you all at the game on Sunday.

So for those of you who shot down my other thread about Kelly saying "No Cali QB's", by naming your California QB's who have done good...check out their situations and everything else before making a silly statement. Most of those QB's from Cali who did well, played in situations that were in their favor...see Kelly's comments above.

It is not that QB's from California are bad, because if I had a DOME I can think of MANY Quarterbacks from the state of California that I would LOVE to have on the Bills roster. But the fact is, we play in some of the worst weather experienced by these football players. Some of them have NEVER seen snow in their entire lives. We need somebody with a cannon arm, who is VERY durable, can get out of the pocket and move the pocket...and that person needs to lead the team by EXAMPLE, ala Matthew Stafford. Now there is a kid who earned the respect of every single player in his own locker room, and probably in many others around the leagure. People took notice, that's for sure.

The on the other side of the field (I know it was not the same game), you got Mark Sanchez, eating a hot dog on the bench...and THAT my friends, is when the Jets AND their Wonderboy California QB started to fall apart and lose their mojo. He went on to throw something like 15 interceptions in the next 3 or 4 games...just saying.

Those kids in California, more than not, live a very decent life growing up. I would rather have somebody from a city with weather comparable to ours, obviously. However, I would also like to have somebody that grew up in a city comparable to a Buffalo, Syracuse or Rochester. A blue-collar town, where you work for everything you have. Those Cali boys come from families, mostly, who give them everything. These are the guys who work for their contract, get the big money and then they settle in. I want somebody who works to be the best, period...that is why I like Tebow and Vince Young. They have a will to never give up, to always succeed to be the best and the ability to lead their team...more often than not, to victory.

jp losman grew up poor. also just because you have wealthy parents doesn't mean that you don't learn how to work hard, and earn your way through life. the reason most people are wealthy is because they work hard and use their strengths to their advantages and pass that through their children. having wealthy parents doesn't mean your gonna start for a D-1 school and get drafted in the NFL, you have to work hard and be good at what you do. just because you come from cali doesn't mean everything came easy, you think RJ, JP, or Trent never had a bad couple games growing up, they could of quit then but they worked hard got better and achieved their goals. don't forget about that QB named Brett who grew up in the golden gulf coast, and i think he played well in the frozen tundra. RJ just plain sucked, but JP and Trents struggles were more because of terrible coaching, ever changing offenses, awful o-lines and no direction, not from being from the golden state.

The on the other side of the field (I know it was not the same game), you got Mark Sanchez, eating a hot dog on the bench...and THAT my friends, is when the Jets AND their Wonderboy California QB started to fall apart and lose their mojo. He went on to throw something like 15 interceptions in the next 3 or 4 games...just saying.

Please. Sanchez didn't have any mojo. The Jets' defense did. When Jenkins got hurt, they fell apart. Period.

Sanchez is a rookie QB who was wildly overrated both in the draft and by the media when the Jets got off to a decent start.

Those kids in California, more than not, live a very decent life growing up. I would rather have somebody from a city with weather comparable to ours, obviously. However, I would also like to have somebody that grew up in a city comparable to a Buffalo, Syracuse or Rochester. A blue-collar town, where you work for everything you have. Those Cali boys come from families, mostly, who give them everything. These are the guys who work for their contract, get the big money and then they settle in. I want somebody who works to be the best, period...that is why I like Tebow and Vince Young. They have a will to never give up, to always succeed to be the best and the ability to lead their team...more often than not, to victory.

You make a good point, as did Kelly about getting guys who are accustomed to the elements...but then you deflate your argument with silly things like this (the highlighted portion).

Joe DeLamiellure has been harping about the Bills doing a better job of scouting their north east/mid-west for "Buffalo type guys" for years now...I think Kelly is kind of saying the same kind of thing.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...7d-753a30e1fc1d

On the future -

I guarantee that Russ Brandon and Mr. Wilson will do whatever it takes to land the best possible coach whether it’s an established coach or a top coach that they target. I have total faith in Russ and Mr. Wilson to do whatever it takes to bring this team back to where it once was. I think it’s safe to say that Mr. Wilson is committed to getting it right with his head coach once and for all. I don’t believe he wants to take a chance with a coach. He wants one that is established with a reputation. I haven’t spoken with him myself, but I’m sure he doesn’t want to go through what he has these past 10 years, which is hiring and firing and hiring and firing.

On the media twisting his words around for a story -

ESPN was criticizing my comment about how the Bills have struggled with California quarterbacks with the last three for Buffalo being Rob Johnson, J.P. Losman and Trent Edwards. They tried to counter that statement by saying what about Dan Fouts, Troy Aikman and Warren Moon?

Well they missed the point. Dan Fouts played in San Diego, Aikman played in Dallas and Moon played in a dome in Houston. The point was not to knock California quarterbacks. It was more a point about what Buffalo needs to consider at the quarterback position in addition to physical talent. The Bills need to have a quarterback that’s mentally tough enough while also possessing the skill set needed to adjust to playing in the poor weather that Buffalo dishes out each and every November and December.

It was not a blanket statement that California quarterbacks haven’t been successful. The recent track record of Bills quarterbacks from California just isn’t very good in terms of adjusting to Buffalo weather, and it’s my contention that they need to look at a signal caller that’s perhaps more suited to dealing with what Buffalo offers late in every football season.

Now a guy like Tebow, who grew up in the south, is a guy that I believe is mentally tough enough and has a skill set that can successfully adapt to playing in poor weather. And a couple of the other top QBs from the south may be as well. That’s up to Bills’ scouting staff to determine whether they can adapt to throwing in a much more challenging weather city like Buffalo. It’s an important factor. Hopefully my opinion is clearer now for everyone. See you all at the game on Sunday.

So for those of you who shot down my other thread about Kelly saying "No Cali QB's", by naming your California QB's who have done good...check out their situations and everything else before making a silly statement. Most of those QB's from Cali who did well, played in situations that were in their favor...see Kelly's comments above.

It is not that QB's from California are bad, because if I had a DOME I can think of MANY Quarterbacks from the state of California that I would LOVE to have on the Bills roster. But the fact is, we play in some of the worst weather experienced by these football players. Some of them have NEVER seen snow in their entire lives. We need somebody with a cannon arm, who is VERY durable, can get out of the pocket and move the pocket...and that person needs to lead the team by EXAMPLE, ala Matthew Stafford. Now there is a kid who earned the respect of every single player in his own locker room, and probably in many others around the leagure. People took notice, that's for sure.

Dr. Jim,

Layoff the sauce because it is obviously clouding your take on the reality of the situation. What has Brandon or Ralph done to lead you to believe they NOW will get things right?

Dr. Jim,

Layoff the sauce because it is obviously clouding your take on the reality of the situation. What has Brandon or Ralph done to lead you to believe they NOW will get things right?

That's called sucking up. He's been doing it for years, trying to get a piece of the ownership action. He may well succeed, as long as he keeps with the propaganda in favor of Wilson.

Guest dog14787

Kelly said "the franchise needs to move on from the benched Trent Edwards",

"I like Trent personally," Kelly told USA TODAY. "He works hard. But he's had three years. It's time to find somebody who is the future of the Buffalo Bills.

These two comments are pulled out of context, but Kelly's message was clear and I see nothing in the rebuttal that changes the fact that he threw a current Bills player under the bus and it was a classless act.

"I like Trent personally," Kelly told USA TODAY. "He works hard. But he's had three years. It's time to find somebody who is the future of the Buffalo Bills.

These two comments are pulled out of context, but Kelly's message was clear and I see nothing in the rebuttal that changes the fact that he threw a current Bills player under the bus and it was a classless act.

Jim Kelly has not cleared things up, he has jammed his foot further into his mouth. And I will repeat my claim: The Bills will not return to the playoffs until Jim Kelly goes away! No other Hall of Fame quarterback has openly criticized his former teams players. Have you ever heard garbage like Kelly has spewed the last two weeks out of Joe Montana, John Elway, Jim Plunket, Joe Theisman or Len Dawson? Look at the ugly performance of their former teams. I live in the SF Bay area where Joe Montana was truly great and still lives today. The Niners have struggled as much as the Bills in recent years and the last thing you would ever hear from Montana would be criticism of Alex Smith or any of the other young QBS the Niners have tried to replace him with. Neither would any of the other great quarterbacks mentioned above. Jim Kelly, because he is not great, still clings to his “near greatness” by denigrating any and all quarterbacks who might replace him in Buffalo. He is afraid to lose his “God-like” status in Buffalo so he sees to it that no one else will succeed. Why in the world would he move back to Buffalo in the first place? Because it is the only place where he is worshipped and his ego needs constant massaging. He clings to his fame by getting his name in the national spotlight but the national media is not blinded by his “almost” great performances a decade ago in Buffalo. If he isn’t careful, he will be chewed up by ESPN. Not even Boomer will be able to protect him. Most truly great athletes that I can think of quietly retreat when their careers are over and are humbled by their accomplishments ,no matter how remarkable they were. They respect other athletes who are trying to make their way under difficult circumstances. They remember how difficult it was. Not Jim Kelly. Kelly’s inferiority complex is so huge that he has to malign the Johnsons, Losmans, Edwards and even the Tebows once they’ve been in town a few years. Mark my word Buffalo, as long as Jim Kelly is around there will not be a Bills team in the playoffs!!

I think its awesome! Its about time that someone with his media access tells it like it is. Most of the guys on this team wouldn't start for another team and some would be nothing but practice squat clowns on others. Its about time someone speaks up and says something about it. Tell it like it is for once

I would also include drafting running backs from Cali, as last year's game on the snow-covered field in Cleveland demonstrated what 'ol Jimbo is talking about.

For anyone who has ever played a game of football in the elements, mother nature can wreak havoc on not only the body, but also the ball.

The colder the temperatures, the 'harder' the ball. Compound that with the slick nature that melting snow has on an already hard ball, and it can make for some issues with ball handling, grip, etc.

Both Lynch and Edwards demonstrated their amazing lack of experience playing in the snow last year, as both Edwards couldn't hit a pass and Lynch did not seem to be able to hold onto the ball nor get adequate footing in the snow.

Ofcourse, the leak that Jauron had them practicing inside, when the weather was getting colder had something to do with it.

But for 11 months out of the year, California is heaven on earth in terms of weather. That 1 rainy month- the Cali winter- occurs in January. The rest of the year is sun and fun. It makes a huge difference to have players at the skilled positions be capable of playing in the elements if they come to Buffalo.

This is an area where things have gotten off track. During the Levy/ Polian days, the roster was filled with players in the Northern part of the nation or atleast from colder climates (Hansen from North Dakota, for example). When Donahoe came in, there also seemed to be an in flux of draft picks from warm climates (Parrish and Everett from Univ of Miami, JP in California, etc).

And I would refrain from stating that California kids are pampered by their parents. This is everywhere. Where I live in Northern VA, it is very similar to CA. The current generation of parents seems to want to be more of an enabling friend than a parent. It is more of a generational parental issue; not something isolated to California.

Whoever our new GM will be, I hope that they return to drafting impact players from cold weather schools.

Jim Kelly has not cleared things up, he has jammed his foot further into his mouth. And I will repeat my claim: The Bills will not return to the playoffs until Jim Kelly goes away! No other Hall of Fame quarterback has openly criticized his former teams players. Have you ever heard garbage like Kelly has spewed the last two weeks out of Joe Montana, John Elway, Jim Plunket, Joe Theisman or Len Dawson? Look at the ugly performance of their former teams. I live in the SF Bay area where Joe Montana was truly great and still lives today. The Niners have struggled as much as the Bills in recent years and the last thing you would ever hear from Montana would be criticism of Alex Smith or any of the other young QBS the Niners have tried to replace him with. Neither would any of the other great quarterbacks mentioned above. Jim Kelly, because he is not great,[1] still clings to his “near greatness” by denigrating any and all quarterbacks who might replace him in Buffalo. He is afraid to lose his “God-like” status in Buffalo so he sees to it that no one else will succeed.[2] Why in the world would he move back to Buffalo in the first place?[3] Because it is the only place where he is worshipped and his ego needs constant massaging. He clings to his fame by getting his name in the national spotlight but the national media is not blinded by his “almost” great performances a decade ago in Buffalo. If he isn’t careful, he will be chewed up by ESPN. Not even Boomer will be able to protect him. Most truly great athletes that I can think of quietly retreat when their careers are over and are humbled by their accomplishments ,no matter how remarkable they were. They respect other athletes who are trying to make their way under difficult circumstances. They remember how difficult it was. Not Jim Kelly. Kelly’s inferiority complex is so huge that he has to malign the Johnsons, Losmans, Edwards and even the Tebows once they’ve been in town a few years. Mark my word Buffalo, as long as Jim Kelly is around there will not be a Bills team in the playoffs!!

[1]

He was an uncontested first ballot hall of famer because he sucks?

[2]

Funny, Kelly supported Johnson, Edwards, and Losman when they first got to Buffalo. If he was really concerned about his past "glory", why would he do this?

[3]

Unless I missed something, Kelly did not "move back" to Buffalo. Once he got here, he never left. Are you confusing Kelly with Thurman Thomas, who did move back to Buffalo?

I would also include drafting running backs from Cali, as last year's game on the snow-covered field in Cleveland demonstrated what 'ol Jimbo is talking about.

For anyone who has ever played a game of football in the elements, mother nature can wreak havoc on not only the body, but also the ball.

The colder the temperatures, the 'harder' the ball. Compound that with the slick nature that melting snow has on an already hard ball, and it can make for some issues with ball handling, grip, etc.

Both Lynch and Edwards demonstrated their amazing lack of experience playing in the snow last year, as both Edwards couldn't hit a pass and Lynch did not seem to be able to hold onto the ball nor get adequate footing in the snow.

Ofcourse, the leak that Jauron had them practicing inside, when the weather was getting colder had something to do with it.

But for 11 months out of the year, California is heaven on earth in terms of weather. That 1 rainy month- the Cali winter- occurs in January. The rest of the year is sun and fun. It makes a huge difference to have players at the skilled positions be capable of playing in the elements if they come to Buffalo.

This is an area where things have gotten off track. During the Levy/ Polian days, the roster was filled with players in the Northern part of the nation or atleast from colder climates (Hansen from North Dakota, for example). When Donahoe came in, there also seemed to be an in flux of draft picks from warm climates (Parrish and Everett from Univ of Miami, JP in California, etc).

And I would refrain from stating that California kids are pampered by their parents. This is everywhere. Where I live in Northern VA, it is very similar to CA. The current generation of parents seems to want to be more of an enabling friend than a parent. It is more of a generational parental issue; not something isolated to California.

Whoever our new GM will be, I hope that they return to drafting impact players from cold weather schools.

It's going to be 50 degrees and partly sunny in Buff today. Hey Jim, what has the weather done to the season so far this year?? How about last year? Or in '07 when they started 1-4 and were 5-6 before thanksgiving?

Hey Jim, stop kissing Ralph's ass--when he kicks--u can get your secret gang of billionaires together and buy the team. Ralph ain't gonna stop ya! All this stalk about how Kelly doesn't want to "upset" Ralph--who will not sell until after he is dead!!--makes absolutely no sense--yet it is endlessly repeated.

Jim Kelly has not cleared things up, he has jammed his foot further into his mouth. And I will repeat my claim: The Bills will not return to the playoffs until Jim Kelly goes away! No other Hall of Fame quarterback has openly criticized his former teams players. Have you ever heard garbage like Kelly has spewed the last two weeks out of Joe Montana, John Elway, Jim Plunket, Joe Theisman or Len Dawson? Look at the ugly performance of their former teams. I live in the SF Bay area where Joe Montana was truly great and still lives today. The Niners have struggled as much as the Bills in recent years and the last thing you would ever hear from Montana would be criticism of Alex Smith or any of the other young QBS the Niners have tried to replace him with. Neither would any of the other great quarterbacks mentioned above. Jim Kelly, because he is not great, still clings to his “near greatness” by denigrating any and all quarterbacks who might replace him in Buffalo. He is afraid to lose his “God-like” status in Buffalo so he sees to it that no one else will succeed. Why in the world would he move back to Buffalo in the first place? Because it is the only place where he is worshipped and his ego needs constant massaging. He clings to his fame by getting his name in the national spotlight but the national media is not blinded by his “almost” great performances a decade ago in Buffalo. If he isn’t careful, he will be chewed up by ESPN. Not even Boomer will be able to protect him. Most truly great athletes that I can think of quietly retreat when their careers are over and are humbled by their accomplishments ,no matter how remarkable they were. They respect other athletes who are trying to make their way under difficult circumstances. They remember how difficult it was. Not Jim Kelly. Kelly’s inferiority complex is so huge that he has to malign the Johnsons, Losmans, Edwards and even the Tebows once they’ve been in town a few years. Mark my word Buffalo, as long as Jim Kelly is around there will not be a Bills team in the playoffs!!

I agree that Kelly shouldn't be making comments about Edwards, but the rest of your argument is garbage... do you remember about a year ago, Troy Aikman, and many of his former teammates ganging up on Tony Romo? If the Cowboys never win another Super Bowl, will it be Aikman's fault?

As for your comment about "most truly great athletes" quietly retreating...do you live under a rock? Do you not consider Aikman, Fran Tarkington, Terry Bradshaw, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson or Michael Jordan "truly great"? Or, do you just ignore their statements about current players, because they don't fit your argument?

Also, when did Kelly openly criticize Rob Johnson or JP Losman? I certainly don't recall that at all.

Two things:

1. I have tremendous respect for Jim Kelly for what he's accomplished both on the field and off with his Hunter's Hope efforts. Howevery, Kelly doesn't appear to be anywhere as close to Mr. Wilson as he'd like people to believe. For all his chatter he hasn't even spoken with RW but yet he feels confident in reassuring everyone? His statements about wanting to be part of any future ownership group really contradict prior statements he's made about his group of investors. Sound like a whole lot of hot air to me.

2. This "we need to get a QB from a cold weather state" is idiotic. Brett Favre is from freaking Mississippi and he's excelled in some of the worst weather anywhere.