Jim Kelly clears things up...

What most people are ignoring is the 2nd part of Kelly's criticism - that the CA QBs that Bills have had were all mentally fragile too. When comparing the game day composure of Tom Brady vs Trent Edwards or JP, the difference is night and day.

So yes it would be helpful to have a QB who's played in the cold, but it's far more important to get the one who won't shrivel at first sign of adversity.

Jim Kelly has not cleared things up, he has jammed his foot further into his mouth. And I will repeat my claim: The Bills will not return to the playoffs until Jim Kelly goes away! No other Hall of Fame quarterback has openly criticized his former teams players. Have you ever heard garbage like Kelly has spewed the last two weeks out of Joe Montana, John Elway, Jim Plunket, Joe Theisman or Len Dawson? Look at the ugly performance of their former teams. I live in the SF Bay area where Joe Montana was truly great and still lives today. The Niners have struggled as much as the Bills in recent years and the last thing you would ever hear from Montana would be criticism of Alex Smith or any of the other young QBS the Niners have tried to replace him with. Neither would any of the other great quarterbacks mentioned above. Jim Kelly, because he is not great, still clings to his “near greatness” by denigrating any and all quarterbacks who might replace him in Buffalo. He is afraid to lose his “God-like” status in Buffalo so he sees to it that no one else will succeed. Why in the world would he move back to Buffalo in the first place? Because it is the only place where he is worshipped and his ego needs constant massaging. He clings to his fame by getting his name in the national spotlight but the national media is not blinded by his “almost” great performances a decade ago in Buffalo. If he isn’t careful, he will be chewed up by ESPN. Not even Boomer will be able to protect him. Most truly great athletes that I can think of quietly retreat when their careers are over and are humbled by their accomplishments ,no matter how remarkable they were. They respect other athletes who are trying to make their way under difficult circumstances. They remember how difficult it was. Not Jim Kelly. Kelly’s inferiority complex is so huge that he has to malign the Johnsons, Losmans, Edwards and even the Tebows once they’ve been in town a few years. Mark my word Buffalo, as long as Jim Kelly is around there will not be a Bills team in the playoffs!!

How exactly does Jim Kelly living here make the Bills a bad team? Because he calls the team out when they suck, and that bruises fragile egos? :)

Sticks and stones, man, sticks and stones.

How exactly does Jim Kelly living here make the Bills a bad team? Because he calls the team out when they suck, and that bruises fragile egos? :)

Sticks and stones, man, sticks and stones.

Why are people so down on Jimbo for saying the obvious? We should be happy that Jim is not a fair weather fan nor a silent wallflower. He represents the best and most likely individual to keep th eBills in Buffalo. He is also deeply aware of what is going on in the organization.

You make a good point, as did Kelly about getting guys who are accustomed to the elements...but then you deflate your argument with silly things like this (the highlighted portion).

Joe DeLamiellure has been harping about the Bills doing a better job of scouting their north east/mid-west for "Buffalo type guys" for years now...I think Kelly is kind of saying the same kind of thing.

The last 2 QB's the Bills have picked have not been proven winners. I personally don't care if they pick a strong armed QB from Malibu. If he has made his team better and has a strong arm to throw the rock when the winds pickup in Buffalo then he is our man. Qb IMHO is the toughest position in all pro sports. If a guy can't win in college I don't want the Bills to draft him.

Kelly and others should stop blaming California for the Bills management ineptness. Not that Cali can't produce good qbs, its the Bills that don't know which ones to draft. This entire thing about Cali qb's not being able to play is ridiculous rationalization by frustrated Bills fans and media that are looking for any scapegoat but their own team. Even if it were true how does it explain our qbs sucking in September and October when the weather is nice?

Many seem to believe (as do I) that the Bills need "Cold Weather QB" to help the team to compete in November and December. Kelly growing up in PA I believe helped condition him to playing with the conditions in Buffalo.

Outside of Vinny Testaverde (who is from NYC I believe) How many NFL QB's or really good college QB's hail from the Empire State? Why aren't high schools in NY aren't producing big name QB's for college recruitment. Is it the system the high schools employee? Is the talent level that low? I tend to believe it is the High School systems... I looking at some box scores from a recent Sweet Home game I noticed the QB stats were something like 5/11.. Compare that to a QB in Dallas who puts the ball up around 32 times a game. My point being, why do the High School systems in NY not adjust their style more to the college game to help prepare their athletes?

Jim Kelly has not cleared things up, he has jammed his foot further into his mouth. And I will repeat my claim: The Bills will not return to the playoffs until Jim Kelly goes away! No other Hall of Fame quarterback has openly criticized his former teams players. Have you ever heard garbage like Kelly has spewed the last two weeks out of Joe Montana, John Elway, Jim Plunket, Joe Theisman or Len Dawson? Look at the ugly performance of their former teams. I live in the SF Bay area where Joe Montana was truly great and still lives today. The Niners have struggled as much as the Bills in recent years and the last thing you would ever hear from Montana would be criticism of Alex Smith or any of the other young QBS the Niners have tried to replace him with. Neither would any of the other great quarterbacks mentioned above. Jim Kelly, because he is not great, still clings to his “near greatness” by denigrating any and all quarterbacks who might replace him in Buffalo. He is afraid to lose his “God-like” status in Buffalo so he sees to it that no one else will succeed. Why in the world would he move back to Buffalo in the first place? Because it is the only place where he is worshipped and his ego needs constant massaging. He clings to his fame by getting his name in the national spotlight but the national media is not blinded by his “almost” great performances a decade ago in Buffalo. If he isn’t careful, he will be chewed up by ESPN. Not even Boomer will be able to protect him. Most truly great athletes that I can think of quietly retreat when their careers are over and are humbled by their accomplishments ,no matter how remarkable they were. They respect other athletes who are trying to make their way under difficult circumstances. They remember how difficult it was. Not Jim Kelly. Kelly’s inferiority complex is so huge that he has to malign the Johnsons, Losmans, Edwards and even the Tebows once they’ve been in town a few years. Mark my word Buffalo, as long as Jim Kelly is around there will not be a Bills team in the playoffs!!

Ah, ah, I almost forgot...I'm also going to need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too