We will know the truth by monitoring the Bills in free agency

BillsfaninFl

Long before the next draft, we will know whether there has been a change of strategy at One Bills Drive. If multpile really good players are brought in when free agency opens up, there is hope. If, instead, all we can cheer about is the team has a high priced coach or single name player, it is proof that you-know-who has lied again.

I'm not going to get sucked in again and believe this crap without real evidence of change.

Well, I'm not going be deluded into thinking that one acquisition means real improvement.

Of course, if it were someone who I really respect, I might be cautiously hopeful.

Then again, if Ralph looks really sincere in an interview maybe I should buy into it.

Arrghh! I'm doomed to be shafted again. :thumbsup:

Long before the next draft, we will know whether there has been a change of strategy at One Bills Drive. If multpile really good players are brought in when free agency opens up, there is hope. If, instead, all we can cheer about is the team has a high priced coach or single name player, it is proof that you-know-who has lied again.

I'm not going to get sucked in again and believe this crap without real evidence of change.

Well, I'm not going be deluded into thinking that one acquisition means real improvement.

Of course, if it were someone who I really respect, I might be cautiously hopeful.

Then again, if Ralph looks really sincere in an interview maybe I should buy into it.

jigga....whaaaaaat? jigga... whooooooo??? :censored:

You do realize that multiple teams have tried that approach for years and each of these teams has failed? Too bad we didn't bring in Haynesworth last year so we could be as good as the Redskins, huh?

You do realize that multiple teams have tried that approach for years and each of these teams has failed? Too bad we didn't bring in Haynesworth last year so we could be as good as the Redskins, huh?

Don't know what teams you are looking at, but there are a lot of examples where a team brought in a couple of good players and prospered. Versus the extreme of guys like Dan Snyder bringing ina squadron of "name" players.

In fact, if you look at the teams that have made quick turnarounds during the last decade, in most cases they brought in a couple of key free agents and/or made a key trade that made them much more competitive.

Arrghh! I'm doomed to be shafted again. :thumbdown:

Free Agency tells the story. Last year, a LOT of fans on this board believed the Bills would go big in UFA fresh off the 2-8 finish to the 08 season. They ended up with a backup QB, former backup C, CB released from JAC, backup G, and a star receiver who came on a one year deal.

The chances of getting a difference-maker in UFA are extremely thin, but this season it should be a lot more interesting if there is no cap. We'll know if RW is serious by how much he chooses to spend, because there is no cap floor in 2010 w/o a new CBA.

Time will tell.

Yawn.....:rolleyes:

PTR

Long before that there should be a new coaching staff/FO in place. One step at a time.

Building through UFA is generally wiser for teams that are "one/two player/s away" from seriously competing, and are willing to overpay to fill a weakest link spot. These players aren't the best, but they aren't the worst. The conclusion: teams continually try to move the bubble gum around to fix holes in the dike, and some teams are better at doing this than others.

Other teams use UFA to boost themselves marginally in areas where they've screwed themselves by not drafting well. Case in point, for over 10 years now, the Bills have used UFA to sign (second- and third-tier) OL b/c for whatever reason, they didn't put much stock into it during the draft. Maybe they didn't like rookie starters... maybe they felt snakebitten by Mike Williams... maybe they knew the scouts for OL were sh-- (OL was Linda Bogdan's area for a while, but what were they gonna do about that?!). Who knows. But what we do know is that we had a string of UFA Centers with Teague, Fowler, now Hangartner. There was Panos, Reyes, Walker, Dockery, Gandy, forget the name but... the aging backup T from the Steelers. Bill in NYC oft laments the fact (yes, it is a fact) that the Bills do not put great importance on building the OL in the draft. Instead, we've spent lots of coin in UFA on scrubs who didn't last long.

Sometimes, it's a good fit. K. Mitchell a couple of seasons ago pretty much fits the mold of the first paragraph... generally a good pick-up that held his own and made plays to keep the D more competitive than it would've been without him. Our LB situation was --- and remains --- ****ty. There is next to nothing for depth, Jauron-ball (but then again, it was trending this way before DJ) turned our LBs into thinner and faster coverage types ---basically Safties who weigh a little more) meaning we're weak against the run. I fully expect demand that the D (minus the secondary, which has had such high investment due to Jauron man-love) be largely scrapped under the next coach, because it is not built for Buffalo or the AFC East.

If you can pick up a guy/s who will fit your system that you can't find elsewhere, OK, but I wouldn't say that this is the norm. Otherwise, teams who build thru UFA are just spinning their wheels. UFA often ends up with a player who wasn't what was expected, and who eats a sizable amount of cap. We got **** lucky with Paup and Spielman... but even that was short-lived.

dansby - no - above average player, not a superstar..

seymour - 4-3 DT...depends what coaching staf we have...

not often do you get a "superstar" without drafting one. dansby would be a solid pickup and an upgrade on our defense. seymour would be a good vet and solid pickup for us.

We'll know if RW is serious by how much he chooses to spend, because there is no cap floor in 2010 w/o a new CBA.

Time will tell.

Without a cap in place, it will drive up the price for players. Big money teams will spend bigger bucks for playmakers making the second tier players cost even more. Do you really want to spend 10 million for a Ryan Denny type player ?

Ralph spending more doesn't mean the bills will get any better. There is a misconception around this board in regards to Ralph spending money on players, he does. His problem is the bozos' that bring in the talent and who they are paying.

Thomas Jones OLB Carolina Panthers? Ryan Pickett a guy who would be a very good addition to our DT rotation? 2 years ago.....The chroisen is sad at you.

thomas jones is the rb for the jets...thomas davis is the lb for the panthers but he just tore his acl last week and is done for the year. i would have loved him before the injury...the guy is an absolute stud but the injury is gonna set him back bad