Shanahan would not work

genomich

Clarett...

Thought we had a "player" in Losman...

Although you may find those 2 picks (one of which wasn't even a Denver draft pick) to be representative of Shanahan's 14-year career, I'd prefer to look just a bit deeper at his results. Here are just a few of the current NFL starters Shanahan drafted in the last few years alone:

2008 - LT Ryan Clady, WR Eddie Royal, FB Peyton Hillis

2007 - RT Ryan Harris

2006 - QB Jay Cutler, TE Tony Scheffler, WR Brandon Marshall, OLB/DE Elvis Dumervil, G Chris Kuper

2005 - CB Dominique Foxworth, C Chris Myers

And that's not even counting the guys that are role players on Denver, or on other NFL teams. I'd say he's done just fine.

Clarett...

Thought we had a "player" in Losman...

Under the right coaching Losman would have turned into a good player. Flame away all you want but I think JPs talen was under utilized and try to get him to do stuff he never has done. Give him a coach that utilizes his abilities and hones his skills he could turn into a Good QB.

I know many of you look at the fact he was a first round pick he was second round talent that according to his scouting reports needed three to four years to develop. But because we have no patience we play yo-yo with our qbs and dont teach them right.

The best thing about Shannahan is the running game succes which is needed in Buffalo.

As mentioned, Shanahan may not be perfect but he knows:

- what type of personnel it takes to consistently win

- how to run a training camp

- when to throw the red flag

- how to communicate

- when to use timeouts

- how to assemble a staff of capable assistants

- how to motivate

- how to run and be part of a 1st class organization

- what it takes to make the playoffs

- what it takes to win a Super Bowl

I think the big knock on Shanny in Denver was not his offense, he is afterall the Mastermind. His negative side was always the defensive side of the ball and was never able to make the right DC hire to complement his offense.

Picking two players that were airball judgements over the past 5 years is not really a telling sample for judgement. Apply those same strict standards to Bills draft picks and what do you get - total ineptitude

I think the big knock on Shanny in Denver was not his offense, he is afterall the Mastermind. His negative side was always the defensive side of the ball and was never able to make the right DC hire to complement his offense.

I can't really agree with you there. Shanahan actually had some very good defenses in his time in Denver. In terms of total yards allowed, they were 4th best in the NFL as recently as 2003 and 2004, and his defenses finished in the top 10 seven of his fourteen seasons and in the top half of the league eleven times in the same period. They'd struggled recently, but his overall track record on defense is pretty good.

I can't really agree with you there. Shanahan actually had some very good defenses in his time in Denver. In terms of total yards allowed, they were 4th best in the NFL as recently as 2003 and 2004, and his defenses finished in the top 10 seven of his fourteen seasons and in the top half of the league eleven times in the same period. They'd struggled recently, but his overall track record on defense is pretty good.

Yes, and the recent struggles of not being able to hold onto leads was what got him fired. Did any of his DC stay in Denver over two years? The slide at the end of last season was due to the defense allowing other teams to catch them after they established first half leads. And Cutler being an idiot at times and throwing bad INT's