Bills sign QB Brian Brohm

Bash_Gash

Brohm has had some issues. Many in GB thought he was the savior, but he never was able to put it together there and was unable to beat out street free agents.

That said, coming out of college I remember Peter King comparing him to Jim Kelly. No joke. He has a big arm (though not as big as Kelly's) and led a pro offense under Petrino at Louisville. He's an intriguing project.

I wouldn't get too excited about this, all of that said. But, the Bills are doing what they should've been doing for the last four years: hording young QBs and trying to develop them.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian Brohm is a good move by this team. We have complete trash at this position and the season is lost. The FO has fired the coach and is working on the futrure, should sound great to any Bills fan. Why complain? The mindset at One Bills Drive couldn't be more clear at this point.

Love this move! Watched him alot while at Louisville, reminded me of Kelly. Obviously there must be a reason he was on GB's practice squad but, hey what do we have to lose. Give him a couple of weeks to get a grasp of the offense and START HIM!

Am I the only one at least thinking that they might give Trent the axe toady? He's been benched. There's no way they'll extend his contract or carry him as a lame-duck back-up next year. Neither starting receiver seems to like him, nor did they even offer a ceremonious defense of him when he was benched. Jim Kelly threw him under the bus.

Did the current regiem really prioritize a swapping of the thrid-string QBs for the next coaching staff? Let's just say it wouldn't suprise me if "Captian Checkdown" is checked out of Buffalo later today.

Another issue of "well, I've heard of him, he must be good" syndrome. Just like Tony Sheffler, Derrick Johnson, Levi Jones, Jon Runyan, etc. etc. Has anyone seen him play since college? You guys need some perspective. Do I hate the signing? Not at all. But don't forget, he was cut in place of a 7th rounder from Louisiana State named Matt Flynn. Don't expect him to lead us to the promised land just yet.

I do not think anybody is saying that. All people are saying is that this is move has the potential to be a low risk/high reward type of signing. If it does not work out, so what, it did not cost the bills any compensation.

His junior year, Brohm was slated to go with a top 10 pick.

As per The National Football Post:

Brian Brohm has left the Green Bay Packers' building, and their roster.

Brohm decided tosign a two-year contract with the Buffalo Bills on Wednesday night despite an offer to rejoin the Packers' active roster, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

Brohm has been on the Packers' practice squad since being cut Sept. 5 heading into the regular season.

Per the report, Brohm was offered an identical deal to the one the Bills extended.

And the Packers had an opening after cutting wide receiver Jake Allen.

Brohm is a former second-round draft pick from Louisville who has struggled in the NFL following a prolific college career.

The Bills could offer him an opportunity to jumpstart his career with a fresh start on a team that currently has Ryan Fitzpatrick as its starter ahead of Trent Edwards.

Interesting turnabout for Brohm, as he turned down offers in September to join other clubs to stay on Green Bay's PS. Bills must have told him he'd have a legit shot to compete for No. 1, while he knows he'd be backing up Rodgers for a long time in GB.

Not for nuttin, but I like that attitude, as opposed to the uncrusted white toast that we've had at the position for a while.

Brian Brohm is a good move by this team. We have complete trash at this position and the season is lost. The FO has fired the coach and is working on the futrure, should sound great to any Bills fan. Why complain? The mindset at One Bills Drive couldn't be more clear at this point.

HA! What else would we do here?

As per The National Football Post:

Brian Brohm has left the Green Bay Packers' building, and their roster.

Brohm decided tosign a two-year contract with the Buffalo Bills on Wednesday night despite an offer to rejoin the Packers' active roster, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

Brohm has been on the Packers' practice squad since being cut Sept. 5 heading into the regular season.

Per the report, Brohm was offered an identical deal to the one the Bills extended.

And the Packers had an opening after cutting wide receiver Jake Allen.

Brohm is a former second-round draft pick from Louisville who has struggled in the NFL following a prolific college career.

The Bills could offer him an opportunity to jumpstart his career with a fresh start on a team that currently has Ryan Fitzpatrick as its starter ahead of Trent Edwards.

Doesn't the fact that the Packers tried to keep him mean they like him better than the current number 3 guy? I mean if he had accepted the offer he would go on the active roster and a QB would be released unless, Flynn would have been put on the practice squad.

Am I the only one at least thinking that they might give Trent the axe toady? He's been benched. There's no way they'll extend his contract or carry him as a lame-duck back-up next year. Neither starting receiver seems to like him, nor did they even offer a ceremonious defense of him when he was benched. Jim Kelly threw him under the bus.

Did the current regiem really prioritize a swapping of the thrid-string QBs for the next coaching staff? Let's just say it wouldn't suprise me if "Captian Checkdown" is checked out of Buffalo later today.

Hmmm, could be, could also move him to ir and try to offload him during preseason for a pick.

Per http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/05/packers...-anthony-smith/: "As a quarterback, he showed no ability to make good, quick decisions. He also had no confidence throwing anything more than checkdowns." Super.

That all sounds somewhat familiar. I do recognize the name and remember the success he had in college, but that doesn't mean he'll be successful in the nfl. That being said, I like the move. No reason not to give a guy who had so much potential in college a shot. Can't be worse than what we have and we haven't dedicated tons of resources getting the guy. Good move.