Firing Jaruon was stupid

Simon

Without a plan in place going forward this was an absolutely pointless move at this time. The Bills should have already had multiple interviews scheduled for their permanent coach when they pulled the plug. Maybe they do, I don't know. But if not this move is just stupid and pointless.

If they want to do anything positive in the near future they should have a coach in place by Thanksgiving (and I don't mean Fewell or April or anybody else on staff) and a new GM and a reorganized front office completed before Christmas. If they can't manage that, then this move was nothing but more of Ralph Wilson's mindless bullshlt.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a plan in place going forward this was an absolutely pointless move at this time. The Bills should have already had multiple interviews scheduled for their permanent coach when they pulled the plug. Maybe they do, I don't know. But if not this move is just stupid and pointless.

If they want to do anything positive in the near future they should have a coach in place by Thanksgiving (and I don't mean Fewell or April or anybody else on staff) and a new GM and a reorganized front office completed before Christmas. If they can't manage that, then this move was nothing but more of Ralph Wilson's mindless bullshlt.

Would be kinda classless to have interviews scheduled for DJ's replacement prior to firing him. Some

prospects would balk at the job based on that alone, knowing the incumbent is still in place.

As for a plan, if this is real that they spoke with Shanny, I call that a plan. I believe he was on the radar

prior to DJ's firing and that was motivation to fire DJ and be first in the replacement HC sweepstakes.

Then why not just wait and see?

But keeping him in a lame duck mode would have been worse. The right decision was for him not to come back in 2009. So by letting him lead the team, Wilson created his own death march for the coach. So I agree with you on the amateurish part of the move, it was inevitable as soon as Wilson gave Jauron the green light last January.

To me, it would be a far worse outcome to have Jauron ride out this useless season to the ugly end.

Guest dog14787

It does give us a jump on other teams that might be looking for GM's and new HC and it also gives the person we hire longer to evaluate the situation and put together a good coaching staff and FO if necessary before next season.

I agree, having a plan in place would have been nice, but getting a jump start on next season is the next best thing in my opinion.

I think they made this move now, not for football reasons, but due to growing disillusionment among fans. The mood was turning ugly, cynical, and apathetic, even by the lofty standards of Bills fans. Ralph had to do something to prove to Bills fans that he would not accept mediocrity. He needed to restore the credibility of this organization in the eyes of its fans.

From a strictly football perspective, the Jauron firing could easily have waited until the end of the season. But doing the firing now sends a message to Bills fans that Ralph cares about winning, and isn't prepared to accept mediocrity indefinitely. It's the first in a series of steps he needs to take to change the mood of the Bills' fan base, before that mood spirals totally out of control. Doing this was the only way he could prove to Bills fans that Jauron wouldn't be here next season.

I admit that I'd just as soon do without the drama of Perry Fewell trying to turn the next seven games into a permanent head coaching opportunity. If anything, this team needs to lose the next seven games to improve its standing in the draft. The possibility of winning a chunk of those games is the main downside. But quite frankly, this team's problems are bad enough that the possibility of winning more than a couple of those games is remote.

My thinking is that the HC'ing job is Fewell's til the end of the season. They all know full well, that he isn't going to be the coach come next season. They bring Shanahan in (or whomever), as the "football guy" that they need in the front office for the remainder of this season, and introduce that person (specially in Shanny's case) as the Head Coach, in the off season

Otherwise, forget about looking for a HC now, unless he's also going to be the HoFO, too.

Hiring Jauron was stupid

not firing him after the Dallas game was stupid

not firing him end of last year was stupid

not firing him after Cleveland loss was stupid

Firing him yesterday was a must! This guy was dragging the whole team and the fans down. If firing him now gives this organization ANY CHANCE to get someone like Shanahan, I am all for it. Even if these coaches don't want to come here, you have to try. By seasons end, all you will have left are deadbeats.......

It WAS stupid if it was a knee jerk reaction to the bud Adams finger thing, or the T.O. blow up, or the Schoble comments, or the fan reaction. If Dick was fired just becaused he sucked it would have served the team better if the deed was done the week prior to the bye, it would have given the interm coach more time to "work" his team and get on the same page as his coaching staff.

It WASN'T stupid if we are on the verge of hiring a head coach/GM combo guy like Shanny, Cower, Holmgren etc and are just clearing the deck to bring him aboard.

Only time will tell

How often does a team fire a coach midseason and immediately hire somebody outside the organization? The team has to attempt to continue the season within the current scheme or at least a variation of it. A coach with any sense is going to review all his possibilities in the offseason and evaluate his options. Contracts aren't usually set up for mop up duty in the replacement season. The NFL still has the Rooney rule and I'm pretty sure they weren't conducting interviews for Dick's job while he was still here. I'm suprised we have heard anything at this point.

Stupid thread.

But keeping him in a lame duck mode would have been worse.

To me, it would be a far worse outcome to have Jauron ride out this useless season to the ugly end.

I just can't see any appreciable difference.

If the Bills get their coach of the future in place in the next couple weeks and give him the rest of the year to familiarize himself with the roster,the staff, the FO, etc. then fine, it was the right move (if too late), no harm done.

But if they don't do that, then I just can't see any positive point to making the move now. It accomplished nothing but tossing some chum to the sharks. And when tomorrow morning rolls around it will have been 4 days since the decision was made and the Bills won't have interviewed anybody as of yet.

Permanent?

Let's think about this for a minute, shall we?

Let's assume the Bills really are going to go after one of the "proven" winners (Gruden, etc..).

You honestly think Cowher, et al, would just jump at the chance to take a team over half way through the season?

What about coaches on other teams? Cannot even interview them until the season is over.

But you want a complete new front office by Xmas.

Yeah, this thread makes sense...

Bills: Hey Mike Shanahan, wanna come to Buffalo at 1:00pm on Wednesday for an interview?

Shanahan: But..... Well, you already have a head coach.

Bills: That's ok... we're firing him. Trust us; oh, and don't tell anyone, k?

OR MAYBE WE DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON. MAYBE AS SOON AS JAURON WAS FIRED, WHEELS STARTED TURNING. You admit in your own post, "Maybe they do, I don't know. But if not this move is just stupid and pointless.".

So in other words, you're title should read "If the Bills had no plan and just fired Jauron in a knee jerk reaction, THAT would be stupid. But with no evidence at all of that (in fact, constant rumors of the exact opposite happening are true) I think its safe to say that firing the worst coach in our last 20 years was not "stupid".

So in other words, you're title should read "If the Bills had no plan and just fired Jauron in a knee jerk reaction, THAT would be stupid. But with no evidence at all of that (in fact, constant rumors of the exact opposite happening are true) I think its safe to say that firing the worst coach in our last 20 years was not "stupid".

Pretty accurate. :lol:

I just can't see any appreciable difference.

If the Bills get their coach of the future in place in the next couple weeks and give him the rest of the year to familiarize himself with the roster,the staff, the FO, etc. then fine, it was the right move (if too late), no harm done.

But if they don't do that, then I just can't see any positive point to making the move now. It accomplished nothing but tossing some chum to the sharks. And when tomorrow morning rolls around it will have been 4 days since the decision was made and the Bills won't have interviewed anybody as of yet.

When the sharks are circling your boat and you have a small hole at the bottom, you better start throwing the chum at them.

By no means should Wilson be fully absolved of this, because this is fully his creation, as he gave Jauron very little to work with this year. But that doesn't excuse Jauron's pathetic performance either. So faced with a growing fan revolt, Wilson did the expedient thing to keep the sharks at bay.

Nothing good could have come out of Jauron sticking for the rest of the season. Plus, if the Shanny, etc stories are true - at least Wilson gets the early shot. I doubt he would have equal attention at the end of the year when he has to compete with other teams.