Sunday Ticket is in the consumer's best interest

Fezmid

Ok, not sure how he can say that... I don't think it's for or against their best interest, it just exists. But hey.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...ff8f5d35e8fc180

EDIT: After reading up on the subject a little more, what he's saying makes some sense. If all of the cable and Dish customers were able to subscribe to Sunday Ticket, then CBS and FOX wouldn't be willing to spend as much money for the contract -- because the local affiliates would be getting far less viewers than they do now. It's the reason the NFL forced DirecTV to black out games that were airing locally -- so that local networks could get their advertising revenue. The fear is that if everyone had Sunday Ticket, the local affiliate revenue would plummet as people watched different games than the one or two aired locally.

Makes sense when you look at it that way.

Still seems counterintuitive to me. I don't get why the NFL would care where its revenue is coming from. It would seem to me that there could be some price-point for Sunday Ticket that would offset the reduction in price for the TV contracts.

Ok, not sure how he can say that... I don't think it's for or against their best interest, it just exists. But hey.

EDIT: After reading up on the subject a little more, what he's saying makes some sense. If all of the cable and Dish customers were able to subscribe to Sunday Ticket, then CBS and FOX wouldn't be willing to spend as much money for the contract -- because the local affiliates would be getting far less viewers than they do now. It's the reason the NFL forced DirecTV to black out games that were airing locally -- so that local networks could get their advertising revenue. The fear is that if everyone had Sunday Ticket, the local affiliate revenue would plummet as people watched different games than the one or two aired locally.

His quote should read "Sunday Ticket is in NFL's best interest" - it has very little to do with the consumer. If they cared about the consumer they'd make the NFL available to all consumers, not just those who can get DTV (I cannot and have not been able to get it for the last 5yrs). The quote is completely disingenuous: It has nothing to do with the consumer, it's all about money for the NFL -- And to some extent that is all they should care about, they are running a business.

The incremental revenue they would get from selling more Sunday Ticket subscriptions is far outweighed by the money they would lose from the diminished value they would get from the networks (CBS/FOX/ESPN). The ESPN contract alone pays the NFL $1.1bn/year. I find it hilarious that my friend who is working over in London has better access to NFL games than I do.... doesn't seem fair, but I've come to accept it. Now, instead of getting my money in the form of a subscription, I just fire up sopcast/streamtorrent. In that scenario, everyone loses: I still get to watch my game, NFL gets none of my revenue, and I get a worse picture -- Awesome! I love monopolies!

But this has been debated ad-nauseum here on this board and everyone seems very happy with the situation (but yes, I'm still bitter).

I don't understand why the NFL would limit itself to only providing DirecTV with access to its programming.

Living in the DC area, I am forced to buy DirecTV if I want to see the Bills. If the NFL is so money hungry (which they are), then why limit yourself to one provider?

Local blackouts have been in place long before DirecTV came along.

I don't understand why the NFL would limit itself to only providing DirecTV with access to its programming.

Living in the DC area, I am forced to buy DirecTV if I want to see the Bills. If the NFL is so money hungry (which they are), then why limit yourself to one provider?

I can't speak for other cable companies, but Time Warner has no problem offering Sunday Ticket on a premium channel for those who wish to pay for it.

The NFL wants it on T-W's normal digital tier, and wants them to charge every one of their subscribers. There are plenty of folks who don't give a rat's fannie about NFL football, nor see their cable rates rise because of it.

Another factor is advertising money. If Sunday Ticket was on the digital tier, the number of potential viewers is greater than if were just on a premium channel, and thus the NFL can demand more $ from advertisers.

I can't speak for other cable companies, but Time Warner has no problem offering Sunday Ticket on a premium channel for those who wish to pay for it.

The NFL wants it on T-W's normal digital tier, and wants them to charge every one of their subscribers. There are plenty of folks who don't give a rat's fannie about NFL football, nor see their cable rates rise because of it.

Another factor is advertising money. If Sunday Ticket was on the digital tier, the number of potential viewers is greater than if were just on a premium channel, and thus the NFL can demand more $ from advertisers.

Sunday Ticket...not NFLN there Stucky

I love football. I like watching teams that play the game well and actually complete passes and convert 1st downs. Watching other teams makes me really jealous, accordingly. It's frustrating to know we can't complete a simple motion screen pass or slant pattern.

All that aside, as far as I can see, the only people that have the Sunday Ticket most likely have some personal interest involved in paying $80/month on top of your already expensive tv bills. Either you have a serious gambling problem, or are obsessed with fantasy football, most likely with a lot of money on the line there as well. How else could you physically watch that much football without any other stake in the game? "Sunday Ticket is for the fans," yeah right. It's about money, and it always has been.

My neighbor upstairs has the ticket, and most likely has a serious gambling problem. EVERY SUNDAY you can hear him screaming like crazy, breaking stuff, and generally causing havoc over football games I'm certain I'm not watching (I have TWC). Why else would he care that much unless he's got a lot of money on the line?

But wait, gambling is ILLEGAL in NYS, isn't it?

Sunday Ticket...not NFLN there Stucky

I sit corrected, Jimbo. I don't follow the various offerings with much interest.

But fact remains, at least re T-W: The NFL wants it's way, and T-W doesn't want to stick all their subscribers' wallets with the vicarious hopes and dreams of a minority of their viewers. :blink:

I add something - this thing on Nfl.com...Sunday Replay (?) that lets folks purchase the viewing of games several hours after the fact. Seems to me that they're sticking a knife into their buddies, DirectTV.

I love football. I like watching teams that play the game well and actually complete passes and convert 1st downs. Watching other teams makes me really jealous, accordingly. It's frustrating to know we can't complete a simple motion screen pass or slant pattern.

All that aside, as far as I can see, the only people that have the Sunday Ticket most likely have some personal interest involved in paying $80/month on top of your already expensive tv bills. Either you have a serious gambling problem, or are obsessed with fantasy football, most likely with a lot of money on the line there as well. How else could you physically watch that much football without any other stake in the game? "Sunday Ticket is for the fans," yeah right. It's about money, and it always has been.

My neighbor upstairs has the ticket, and most likely has a serious gambling problem. EVERY SUNDAY you can hear him screaming like crazy, breaking stuff, and generally causing havoc over football games I'm certain I'm not watching (I have TWC). Why else would he care that much unless he's got a lot of money on the line?

I have the Sunday Ticket. I don't gamble and am not obsessed with fantasy football.

Your neighbor is probably just rooting for an out-of-market team, dude. Sounds like he goes through the same thing I go through every Sunday.

:blink: this is sarcasm, correct? :wallbash:

Yes, I feel the same way.

I only, ONLY get Sunday Ticket (and ultimately follow the NFL) because of the Buffalo Bills. I personally could care less about the Vikings, Saints, Eagles, Panthers...and it is not physically possible to watch all of these games.

What I have suggested to DirecTV is why is there not more Divisional packages? Something whereby I can get an AFC East package, albeit at a reduced rate than the normal price, and only get Bills, Pats, Jets, and Dolphins games. That would not only be more economically feasible for ME (i.e.: a fan) than paying the hundreds of dollars to pay for all of the games.

Another joke is the DirecTV Superfan (I call it Stupid Fan) package. I pay for NFL Sunday Ticket. I pay for HD service every month. I also pay to lease the HD receiver. Yet DirecTV says that I have to pay an additional $100/year to now watch the games in HD. They filled it with all kinds of garbage (Red Zone, fantasy crap, etc) that unless you are 12 years old really has no value whatsoever.

I personally don't see how charging additional fees on top of additional fees to view the games that are already broadcast by FOX and CBS in HD is legal, but I'm just a fan.

Cha-ching!

i have been getting sunday ticket for seven years solely to be able to watch the bills play and as I live in Montana, it is the only way to see them,,,,,but with the price escalating to several hundred dollars, I will not renew next year,,,,,gonna switch from DTV to a different sattelite provider

I know this.....

If the bills dont make significant changes this offseason I will be saying good bye to NFL sunday ticket.......

Its not Direct TV's fault my team sucks....but I am tired of forking over more and more every year to watch this team suck money out of its fan base with no hope of at least a playoff game.

I feel so tired today......I watch my lakers last night dismantle a team that is actually BEATING other NBA teams and has a winning record...then I look at why they do.....then I look at my football team and just....Ugggg

They talk about local affiliates losing revenue streams? If people are paying for games a la carte, wouldn't that end up creating more money for the affiliates? You order everything a la carte in a restaurant, you end up paying more money.

And if you're watching NFL games on a Pay Per View basis, it would be easy to track that and send a share of said revenues back to the local affiliates.

As someone pointed out, it does seem counterintuitive....and most of us are watching this shizzle online anyways when we'd pay for it if it were available on our TV's.

I have the Sunday Ticket. I don't gamble and am not obsessed with fantasy football.

Me neither. I have Displaced Fan Syndrome (DFS). As far as the "for the fans" argument goes, why can't I just buy the games I want? You know, pony up $20 for the Bills game or whatever. Then when we're on SNF or MNF or TNF I don't have to buy it. College football has that I think. Pretty sure I've seen that advertised.

We really don't watch those other games that much anyway. Next year I think we're going to cancel Sunday Ticket and watch them on the internet/slingbox. But then we got an HD TV watching a crappy picture.

I agree with the other person's gripe that you gotta pay extra for HD and if you get HD you gotta pay extra for the Red Zone crap. I can't even imagine a real football fan only wanting to watch when a team is in the red zone. That's just silly. But what are ya gonna do, not watch Bills football? Not really an option.

I know this.....

If the bills dont make significant changes this offseason I will be saying good bye to NFL sunday ticket.......

Its not Direct TV's fault my team sucks....but I am tired of forking over more and more every year to watch this team suck money out of its fan base with no hope of at least a playoff game.

I feel so tired today......I watch my lakers last night dismantle a team that is actually BEATING other NBA teams and has a winning record...then I look at why they do.....then I look at my football team and just....Ugggg

John for last 3 years I have felt the same way and every year we do enough to make me fork over the $$. However UNLESS DJ is fired and REAL football people are brought in to run the organization I will cancel even though I enjoy seeing my choice of games when the Bill's are not playing in that time slot

As far as the "for the fans" argument goes, why can't I just buy the games I want? You know, pony up $20 for the Bills game or whatever. Then when we're on SNF or MNF or TNF I don't have to buy it.

Not sure the math works out.

NFL sunday ticket and the "superfan" to get HD (what a scam) is $350.

So for this season at $20 per game that's $280 (1 MNF and 1 Thursday leaves 14 games). So for $70 more you get all the games instead of just the Bills. At that's at $20 a game, and you know the NFL is going to stick it to you more than $20 worth.

I find it hard to believe that the NFL is maxing out on the Sunday ticket only giving it to Direct TV? MLB,NHL ande NBA all are offered thru Fox, Comcast, Dish Etc. If only giving it to one carrier made the most sense all the other leagues would be doing it! I would dump Diect TV in a minute and go back to Cox if the NFL Sunday Ticket was offered thru them. But getting the first game at 10am on Sunday's is great. I can struggle watching the Bills and still have time to play 18 holes! :wallbash:

Not sure the math works out.

NFL sunday ticket and the "superfan" to get HD (what a scam) is $350.

So for this season at $20 per game that's $280 (1 MNF and 1 Thursday leaves 14 games). So for $70 more you get all the games instead of just the Bills. At that's at $20 a game, and you know the NFL is going to stick it to you more than $20 worth.

Depends. Assume you attend 3-4 games a year live (either at RWS or a Bills away game , like at the Meadowlands), plus the MNF and Thursday. Lets say you go out to a bills backers bar twice a year. Now you are really only looking at 8 games per season...big difference there.

Depends. Assume you attend 3-4 games a year live (either at RWS or a Bills away game , like at the Meadowlands), plus the MNF and Thursday. Lets say you go out to a bills backers bar twice a year. Now you are really only looking at 8 games per season...big difference there.

True, but I was talking more of a displaced fan scenario. Going to a Bills backers bar would probably cost you more than $20 in beer and wings .... and beer :wallbash: