40k more troops to Afghanistan

/dev/null

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm listening to the presidents speech, and I heard him mention that we will be withdrawing troops within 18 months.

Not so sure if it is a good idea to start telegraphing to the enemy our withdrawal date.

Just giving our soldiers, jihadists and liberals like Michael Moore a heads up that he really doesn't have the stomach for the war he felt was so necessary to protect and defend America.

If that's what he said, he's just voted present on his most important decision as President.

I'm listening to the presidents speech, and I heard him mention that we will be withdrawing troops within 18 months.

Not so sure if it is a good idea to start telegraphing to the enemy our withdrawal date.

The whole "strategy" is so chock-full of bad ideas that I'm not quite sure it matters.

Since he said he'd be bringing troops home during the campaign and now is sending more, don't expect it to come true.

I can't believe we're 40 years from Vietnam, making perhaps dumber mistakes (with fewer deaths admittedly). Idiots.

Raise your hand if you think Iraq and Afghanistan will be better off in 20 years than they were 8 years ago.

Raise your hand if you think Iraq and Afghanistan will be better off in 20 years than they were 8 years ago.

I do.

I don't believe that a dictator will be ruling Iraq, destabalizing the region and committing mass genocide like what occured with the Kurds, and in Afghanistan, I don't believe that there will be such a widespread oppressive government such as the Taliban governing over their country while providing the type of Safehaven for Terrorists as what we saw pre 9/11.

In no way shape or form am I saying these countries will have "successful" democracies like what we see in Western cultures, but that is besides the point, the question was, do you think Iraq and Afghanistan will be better off in 20 years that what it was 8 years ago, and my answer once again is yes.

Nothing can be done in Astan while Pakistan is still a cluster!@#$

The strategy is "Pakistan" but no one can say that publicly no will you here about it in the media

All the news about Astan can be considered smoke and mirrors to a large degree

Follow Pakistan's development, or lack there of

I do.

I don't believe that a dictator will be ruling Iraq, destabalizing the region and committing mass genocide like what occured with the Kurds, and in Afghanistan, I don't believe that there will be such a widespread oppressive government such as the Taliban governing over their country while providing the type of Safehaven for Terrorists as what we saw pre 9/11.

In no way shape or form am I saying these countries will have "successful" democracies like what we see in Western cultures, but that is besides the point, the question was, do you think Iraq and Afghanistan will be better off in 20 years that what it was 8 years ago, and my answer once again is yes.

Many ----- understood WHY a dictator needed to be ruling that shithole....

It would have been easier to tell Turkey to !@#$ off ... and then create an independent Kurdistan. That would have garnered International support (and we could have set up a base there)

Many ----- understood WHY a dictator needed to be ruling that shithole....

It would have been easier to tell Turkey to !@#$ off ... and then create an independent Kurdistan. That would have garnered International support (and we could have set up a base there)

Well, I don't believe it was justified to go in to Iraq, specially considering the whole premise of the war was build around misinformation provided by our intelligence and a hard on to finish pappy's unfinished business. Having said that, I will never agree on the idea that a dictator should be ruling with oppressive brutal force over any country, even if it's a "shithole".

In regards to creating an independent Kurdistan, to quote some mexican in east L.A, no way jose that was gonna happen.

what is the "strategy"?

Apparently it's to pretend that everyone in the region is just a misguided American.

Really...when you talk about Afghanistan and Pakistan as though they're two separate and distinct national entities, that's the first sign you're completely !@#$ed. That hasn't been true...ever, really. Any strategy that tries to address the two as independent nations while ignoring the tribal cultures in the area that completely reject and ignore any concept of nationality in the region is failed from the start.

Since he said he'd be bringing troops home during the campaign and now is sending more, don't expect it to come true.

I can't believe we're 40 years from Vietnam, making perhaps dumber mistakes (with fewer deaths admittedly). Idiots.

I've read the Soviet staff studies on their Afghanistan war. More so than what I wrote above, what really shocked me was how much I heard from Obama's speech that made me think "Yeah, I remember when the Russians tried that..."