Love him or not...Sully is right on...

Buftex

Shows what you know. He's highly decorated in the profession and respected from coast to coast by his peers. You say he has no class, humor or intellect. Funny, because I find him clever, he makes me laugh and he's more sophisticated than most anybody else I read. I'm not going to fault you for your taste. If you don't like him, fine. But don't be absurd. A good columnist can keep his emotions in check? That's your criteria? I think you need to get out more.

As for being "stuck," I can live wherever I want, and I choose Buffalo.

But if you're referring to the paper as being substandard in some way, then let me point out the Buffalo News is one of the highest-paying union papers in the country, probably is the nation's most secure paper in terms of layoffs, is one of the most profitable papers in the country (the year I started there it was making about $1 million a week -- profit) and is owned by Warren Buffett. Factor in the cost of living, and working for the Buffalo News is more attractive than the Boston Globe or New York Times.

What a place to be stuck -- in a city that many people feel is an ideal place to raise a family and working for perhaps the most secure paper in the nation.

Well said - on Sullivan and WNY.

John from Hemet = ex Kool Aid Drinker

I lost the taste for it at the end of last season

Russ Brandon would tell you to go ahead and take another sip. It tastes better the 1000th time you try it. Keep sucking it up and you will get used to the odious taste. Next year the marketing departing at OBD will bring in OchoCinco to jazz up this downtrodden franchise. :sick:

Shows what you know. He's highly decorated in the profession and respected from coast to coast by his peers. You say he has no class, humor or intellect. Funny, because I find him clever, he makes me laugh and he's more sophisticated than most anybody else I read. I'm not going to fault you for your taste. If you don't like him, fine. But don't be absurd. A good columnist can keep his emotions in check? That's your criteria? I think you need to get out more.

But if you're referring to the paper as being substandard in some way, then let me point out the Buffalo News is one of the highest-paying union papers in the country, probably is the nation's most secure paper in terms of layoffs, is one of the most profitable papers in the country (the year I started there it was making about $1 million a week -- profit) and is owned by Warren Buffett. Factor in the cost of living, and working for the Buffalo News is more attractive than the Boston Globe or New York Times.

What a place to be stuck -- in a city that many people feel is an ideal place to raise a family and working for perhaps the most secure paper in the nation.

Bravo.

When I was standing in the JK Club yesterday listening to the Jauron presser, and I heard Jerry drop the hammer with the question/statement that stopped that session cold, I came close to applauding.

And whether it applies to Sully, Chuck, or anyone else who decided somewhere along the way that they didn't WANT to live/work in a top-5 market, I've long since gotten sick of the "he must suck, or else he'd be writing for the NY Times" line of thought.

Also, before anyone accuses Tim of talking up The News simply because he's an alumnus, you might want to check out this link: http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/buff...ory/806996.html

SYRACUSE — The Buffalo News has been recognized as the state’s Newspaper of Distinction for 2009 by the New York State Associated Press Association.

The News was judged the best newspaper for the year in the state’s largest circulation category: more than 125,000. It was honored, according to the citation, for “exemplifying the best traditions of journalistic initiative and quality news judgment, reporting, writing, news photos, graphics and presentation.”

That means they beat out every one of the NYC newspapers -- those "bigger and better" gigs to which I suppose everyone in the business should aspire -- for the award.

He's not all that great. If he were, he wouldn't be stuck in the 49th smallest media market, and steadily declining.
i love how one of the things that makes him no good is that he works in buffalo. i thought we liked buffalo? i guess the rest of the country's opinions are justified?

what he said.

jw

I'm admittedly no big Sullivan fan because I think he has a firm grasp of the obvious, and he seems to revel in his misanthropy-for-show (listen to any GR show and you'll know what I mean). But he's not a dumb guy and he does call a spade a spade. I do think there's a bit of the press-rushing-to-defend-their-own phenomenon at work in this thread, but the simple fact of the matter is that I've read him for well over a decade and I can't remember a time when he's mined other teams or the league in general to make an educated, informative point that goes beyond the educated fandom re: the state of the Bills that you often see here. For the critically minded, he tells people what they want to hear, and for the optimists, he seems like a sourpuss. But he doesn't really tell me anything I don't already know (although he does have access to the occasional gnomic utterances of Ralph, which does appear to be unique among reporters).

That said, the piece he wrote was spot on (although any of us would have made the same argument if asked). And to criticize him for being in Buffalo when we're all Bills fans seems the height of hypocrisy. Buffalo is a great place, and if you can make it work there, it's a terrific place to live.

Truth be told, for Buffalo editorializing I think the best place to go now is the Wilson and Gaughan chats. AW in particular lets it loose, and he appears to know the game pretty damn well.

I'm admittedly no big Sullivan fan because I think he has a firm grasp of the obvious, and he seems to revel in his misanthropy-for-show (listen to any GR show and you'll know what I mean). But he's not a dumb guy and he does call a spade a spade. I do think there's a bit of the press-rushing-to-defend-their-own phenomenon at work in this thread, but the simple fact of the matter is that I've read him for well over a decade and I can't remember a time when he's mined other teams or the league in general to make an educated, informative point that goes beyond the educated fandom re: the state of the Bills that you often see here. For the critically minded, he tells people what they want to hear, and for the optimists, he seems like a sourpuss. But he doesn't really tell me anything I don't already know (although he does have access to the occasional gnomic utterances of Ralph, which does appear to be unique among reporters).

That said, the piece he wrote was spot on (although any of us would have made the same argument if asked). And to criticize him for being in Buffalo when we're all Bills fans seems the height of hypocrisy. Buffalo is a great place, and if you can make it work there, it's a terrific place to live.

Truth be told, for Buffalo editorializing I think the best place to go now is the Wilson and Gaughan chats. AW in particular lets it loose, and he appears to know the game pretty damn well.

Obvious to you maybe and to most on this board. But then again, people on this board tend to be over informed when it comes to the Bills. Indeed, that is the entire point of the board.

However, with all due respect to SDS, more people get their Bills news from the News than from this board. And it's those people who need the shade lifted from their devoted eyes. Sully fits that bill when others either can't (given their reporter hat) or won't.

I think he points the finger at Jauron too much in it- if you want to point it at Ralph Wilson, thats fine, but the fact still remains that no other human being would keep a NFL franchise in Buffalo. Dick Jauron is neither a great coach, nor a bad one. He is simply the coach of a bad football team that has no direction- and that comes above the coach.

The problems of this team go to the head coach? How about the front office, which traded away our best lineman and left Demitrius Bell to start at left tackle? That was an idiotic move- sure, we would have overpaid to keep him- but the Eagles were smart enough to overpay and they are competing for their division and an NFC playoff berth. While they do that, Buffalo has little other than horrible weather and 8 feet of snow per day.

Jauron anointed Walker as the starting left tackle? Who else did he have at that point? What did the front office give him? Fitzpatrick isn't the answer? We never should have cut Drew Bledsoe after investing a 1st round pick in him- sure, he wasn't great, but he is the closest thing we have had to a QB since Jim Kelly.

How about the defensive line? The only player I am satisfied with is Stroud. When healthy, Williams is a competent #3 guy- unless you are happy with a #2 that would only be starting for a non-playoff team, which most Bills fans are, since they think Aaron Schobel is Bruce Smith......Must not be used to seeing Hall of Famers on your own sideline anymore.Maybin and Pozlusny are a couple of Big-10 busts.......bad picks.

Something he said that I agree with is that we have trouble when facing a good QB and defense- the coaches can scheme things more based on what we have when the other team doesn't have that- when we face good teams, we are overwhelmed by the talent differential.

That said- I am not against changing coaches during the offseason- but only if Wilson relinquishes control over football decisions to somebody who knows what they are doing- and that person chooses to make a change. Right now, the Bills try to do what the fans say, and the fans need to be told what they want, cause they don't know what that is.

I think he points the finger at Jauron too much in it- if you want to point it at Ralph Wilson, thats fine, but the fact still remains that no other human being would keep a NFL franchise in Buffalo. Dick Jauron is neither a great coach, nor a bad one. He is simply the coach of a bad football team that has no direction- and that comes above the coach.

The problems of this team go to the head coach? How about the front office, which traded away our best lineman and left Demitrius Bell to start at left tackle? That was an idiotic move- sure, we would have overpaid to keep him- but the Eagles were smart enough to overpay and they are competing for their division and an NFC playoff berth. While they do that, Buffalo has little other than horrible weather and 8 feet of snow per day.

Jauron anointed Walker as the starting left tackle? Who else did he have at that point? What did the front office give him? Fitzpatrick isn't the answer? We never should have cut Drew Bledsoe after investing a 1st round pick in him- sure, he wasn't great, but he is the closest thing we have had to a QB since Jim Kelly.

How about the defensive line? The only player I am satisfied with is Stroud. When healthy, Williams is a competent #3 guy- unless you are happy with a #2 that would only be starting for a non-playoff team, which most Bills fans are, since they think Aaron Schobel is Bruce Smith......Must not be used to seeing Hall of Famers on your own sideline anymore.Maybin and Pozlusny are a couple of Big-10 busts.......bad picks.

Something he said that I agree with is that we have trouble when facing a good QB and defense- the coaches can scheme things more based on what we have when the other team doesn't have that- when we face good teams, we are overwhelmed by the talent differential.

That said- I am not against changing coaches during the offseason- but only if Wilson relinquishes control over football decisions to somebody who knows what they are doing- and that person chooses to make a change. Right now, the Bills try to do what the fans say, and the fans need to be told what they want, cause they don't know what that is.

Sullivan has had plenty to say about Ralphs' mismanagement of this team. That wasn't the point of this editorial...it was to point out, how the Bills, under Jauron, keep making the same mistakes, over and over...it is bad coaching, plain and simple...

He has been writing the same article for the past decade. It is like shooting fish in a barrell in the Buffalo sports market. There is a reason why many all of Sully's counterparts have gone on to bigger and better gigs, while Sully still writes his column for the Snooze...

How can he write anything different. The Blls have sucked the last 10 years and his view on the team reflects just that.

Great article, BTW, spot on. For some reason you really do get the feeling this team will make the inevitavble run to 7-9 with the last one coming vs. the Peyton Manning'less Colts in Week 17.