Trying to pick a honeymoon destination!

PushthePile

My fiance and I are looking to set up a honeymoon and we are searching for others thoughts. The wedding is scheduled for October next year and we are planning on going on the honeymoon immediately after. I'm open to any advice, as I know some of our members are very well traveled.

We are looking for something that offers activities and adventure. We like water stuff, hiking, challenging activities, and really anything that gets the blood pumping. We aren't locked into tropical either. We have already both discussed cabin kind of stuff in Alaska, Colorado, or Washington. The Grand Canyon was an option discussed, neither of us have ever been there. We have also thought a Carribean experience would be fun.

I know this is vague but we are overwhelmed with choices.

Things we don't like:

-she gets seasick so no cruise (although I'm not sure she would feel it on a cruise ship) She's okay on short boating trips

-we don't ski

-we would prefer the comforts of having our own cabin or bungalow in comparison to a hotel. Unless a resort is unique in it's setup.

Thanks in advance! I appreciate anything you want to share.

Cape Cod - THE best coastal place in all of New England (Hyannis area), just do NOT go to Provincetown!

The Poconos - You all don't ski, but it is an AWESOME place to stay, especially for a honeymoon

North Conway, NH - best of New England all in a village full of things to do

Great Smokey Mountains near Gatlinburg - if you want to go farther south, it is absolutely beautiful

ANY of those four choices you can't go wrong with!

Wifey and I married and honeymooned here.

Not sure what it's like in October, but you have private villas with hot tub, snorkeling, scuba diving, etc. One of the most private and beautiful places we've ever been.

You know you've been posting here too long when you know the link before you even open it. St Lucia right? That would get one of my top votes too but it's a B word to get there, but worth is when you do. I love the Virgin Island, either US or British.

Tahiti was very nice.

You might also consider Central America. Places like Costa Rica do a lot of catering to honeymooners and offer a lot of 'adventure' type activities.

And as suggested, there are plenty of good options in the Caribbean. Or Bermuda.

It's not exactly what you were asking for, but I'd suggest going overseas -- London, Italy, Germany, something like that. It's easier to do as a honeymoon before you settle down, have a house, kids, etc, etc. My wife and I spent 2.5 weeks in England -- most in London, a day in Bath, and then a couple of days down in Amberley. We stayed in the best "hotel" ever -- a converted castle. It was amazing:

http://www.amberleycastle.co.uk/

For our honeymoon two years ago, my wife and I went to an absolutely awesome place called Sayulita, Mexico. Sayulita is about an hour north of Puerta Villarta by car, so the travel is pretty easy. The town itself is a small fishing/surfing village on the Pacific Coast which is still in the early stages of its evolution toward being a tourist town. Really nice villagers running really small restaurants and shops. No McDonalds withinin 30 miles.

We stayed in a private bungalow in a compound overlooking the Pacific. Absolutely gorgeous -- our bungalow had a deck which had a small infinity pool and a kitchen and living room with french doors that opened completely on to the deck. The bungalow was totally stocked so we had the option of cooking or going out for food. We would wake up in the morning, throw open the french doors, turn on the Bob Marley, brew some coffee, and then switch to beers and margaritas a couple hours later.

Being that it was a proper honeymoon, we didn't venture out too much. :cry: But when we did, there was a lot of good activities to be had. The one adventure we had was to go zip-lining in the jungle. It wasn't some rinky-dink thing either... there were dozens of separate zip-lines that wound down the mountain into the rain forest. Sayulita is right on the ocean, so there's lots of swimming, surfing, kayaking, fishing, ATV rentals, hiking, etc. We went during the first week in October and the weather was spectacular.

Man, sitting here typing this, I want to go back!

PM me if you want more details or pictures.

For our honeymoon two years ago, my wife and I went to an absolutely awesome place called Sayulita, Mexico. Sayulita is about an hour north of Puerta Villarta by car, so the travel is pretty easy. The town itself is a small fishing/surfing village on the Pacific Coast which is still in the early stages of its evolution toward being a tourist town. Really nice villagers running really small restaurants and shops. No McDonalds withinin 30 miles.

We stayed in a private bungalow in a compound overlooking the Pacific. Absolutely gorgeous -- our bungalow had a deck which had a small infinity pool and a kitchen and living room with french doors that opened completely on to the deck. The bungalow was totally stocked so we had the option of cooking or going out for food. We would wake up in the morning, throw open the french doors, turn on the Bob Marley, brew some coffee, and then switch to beers and margaritas a couple hours later.

Being that it was a proper honeymoon, we didn't venture out too much. :cry: But when we did, there was a lot of good activities to be had. The one adventure we had was to go zip-lining in the jungle. It wasn't some rinky-dink thing either... there were dozens of separate zip-lines that wound down the mountain into the rain forest. Sayulita is right on the ocean, so there's lots of swimming, surfing, kayaking, fishing, ATV rentals, hiking, etc. We went during the first week in October and the weather was spectacular.

I wanna go!! Sounds like a lot of fun.

My fiance and I are looking to set up a honeymoon and we are searching for others thoughts. The wedding is scheduled for October next year and we are planning on going on the honeymoon immediately after. I'm open to any advice, as I know some of our members are very well traveled.

We are looking for something that offers activities and adventure. We like water stuff, hiking, challenging activities, and really anything that gets the blood pumping. We aren't locked into tropical either. We have already both discussed cabin kind of stuff in Alaska, Colorado, or Washington. The Grand Canyon was an option discussed, neither of us have ever been there. We have also thought a Carribean experience would be fun.

I know this is vague but we are overwhelmed with choices.

Things we don't like:

-she gets seasick so no cruise (although I'm not sure she would feel it on a cruise ship) She's okay on short boating trips

-we don't ski

-we would prefer the comforts of having our own cabin or bungalow in comparison to a hotel. Unless a resort is unique in it's setup.

Thanks in advance! I appreciate anything you want to share.

You can find an awesome place on top of the mountains in Tennessee. That time of the year would be especially beautiful in the Smokies as well. They have some fairly large houses you can rent through various realty companies in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Most houses are equipped with fire places, Large televisions, hot tubs, and most any luxury you would like to have. Been there in the fall before and the views from various parkways will amaze you, if you enjoy just taking nature in. They have a plethora of restraunts and activities for people. Dollywood is also out there and it's not bad to visit. You can take helicopter rides and the whole 9. You're also only about 40 minutes away from Knoxville if you want to check out the city life for a day or so. My wife and I spent our honeymoon there and had a wonderful time. There's nothing like waking up and seeing the fog laying across a tapestry of colors at sunrise or watching the fog roll into the low spots of the mountains in the moonlight. One day, that is where we plan to live.

Being that it was a proper honeymoon, we didn't venture out too much. <_< But when we did, there was a lot of good activities to be had. The one adventure we had was to go zip-lining in the jungle. It wasn't some rinky-dink thing either... there were dozens of separate zip-lines that wound down the mountain into the rain forest. Sayulita is right on the ocean, so there's lots of swimming, surfing, kayaking, fishing, ATV rentals, hiking, etc. We went during the first week in October and the weather was spectacular.

Dude sign me up that place sounds awesome