Buffalo's soon to be new head coach

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Circa January, 2003:

...As new blood has sometimes to be placed in places, this is the fresh young face Buffalo needs to begin to secure the future.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/People/Coach...e_Mularkey.aspx

"Meet the new boss......same as the old boss." (The Who)

Seems like we've sung this song before regarding "bright young offensive coordinators."!!! :unsure:

Why would Mike Leach want to leave Texas Tech for Buffalo? Not a real forward move career wise IMO.

Mike Leach runs a college style offense. Leave it in college and out of the NFL. Steve Spurrier learned the hard way. I can't imagine what kind of horrific effects that system would yield with our personnel and in Buffalo weather. :bag:

I hate our QB situation and would love nothing more than to find a good one. This team needs to continue to focus on the lines though. Unless, our scouting department thinks a can't miss guy is out there, continue to build the lines. We have the RBs and a start on the o-line. I want a 3-4 attacking defense and solid running game. Bring in a vet and a 2-3 round rookie Qb to compete.

The guy we want - even if it means hiring him as our OC and waiting for Jauron to step aside, is...

Published: Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Daily Toreador

LINCOLN, Neb. — Since coach Mike Leach’s arrival nine years ago, Texas Tech’s identity has been synonymous with one word: offense.

That may change soon enough, with the new word being balance. It was the Red Raider defense that stole the show and bailed out Leach’s air-raid offense, racking up five sacks, a fumble returned for a touchdown and two turnovers in a 31-10 upset victory against then-No. 15 Nebraska Saturday at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Neb.

“I thought whichever team our defense played for was gonna win the game,” Leach said. “We have black shirts here at Texas Tech too. Every one of our guys is wearing a black shirt underneath their pads there. I’m proud to say the blackshirts won this one.”

Link - Tech’s defense steps up in win over Nebraska; Red Raiders jump to No. 21

He'd be maybe the only NCAA Head Coach I'd take, and yeah, in a heartbeat. I got to watch his team adjust to losing their starting QB against my Lobos and then go on to annihilate us with their backup, and I did like this guy's presence.

But I'd much rather have a proven NFL HC. And there are plenty available.

I'd take Ditka over Mike Leach.

Of all the names that get thrown around, the only one I would have hope with is Cowher. He's the only coach out there that consistently put his team in a position to win a championship on a consistent basis. One would only hope Dick Lebeau would come back with him.

Schottenheimer insists he wouldn't come back to coaching. I know some of us want him to replace Jauron, but when he lost that first playoff game the billboard would go right back up. Admit it.

Shanahan was brilliant when he had Elway. Good teams after that, but nothing to write home about.

Gruden, same thing. Rode Gannon to the SuperBowl and the original Tampa 2 and the last great Brad Johnson year to a championship, otherwise, not great either.

Fassel? Dennis Green? I admit they're better pros but could they coach AND build a team from the front office.

Only Cowher seems like someone who could do all that. Either throw 10 million at him or hope you get lucky with the next bright young assistant or Perry Fewell.

Jeff Fisher >>>> Bill Cowher

One name I do NOT want to hear in the running is Brian Schottenheimer, that idiot should've kept running the ball yesterday. :bag:

You have to mix interceptions in with the running game to keep the defense honest!

I was thinking of Marty.

I respectfully disagree about Fisher > Cowher, never mind >>>>. Fisher >>>> Jauron though.

Cowher is 149-90-1 and 12-9 in the playoffs, with 11 winning seasons out of 15, a SuperBowl ring, an AFC championship, and 4 other trips to the AFC championship game.

Fisher is 128-102 and 5-6 in the playoffs, with 6 winning seasons out of 15 and 1 AFC championship and 1 trip to the Championship game, not counting this season, which I think is a fluke for him.

If the Bills are going to go the coordinator/college route here are a few guys I would look at. First two things I am looking for one an offensive guy we have had too many defensive guys (Philips, Gregg Williams, and DJ) and two a guy who is going to put a fire under this teams ass. You basically want the opposite of Jauron a guy who can craft an offense and put some passion into this team. Although I wouldn't reject the notion of bringing in a D coordinator as you can see 2 guys on the list are defensive guys.

1- Russ Grimm- Offensive guy who plays with a bit of fire and has a specialty of offensive lines and our line even with a year of experience they are going to need a good coach. Gotta like that he was almost the guy who the Steelers picked to take over for Cower and a lot of Steelers fans give him a lot of Credit for their 05-06 Super Bowl run.

2- Lesile Frazier- Guy is either Mike Tomlin part two or a bust. He runs a good scheme and the Minnesota D is just as good as it was under Tomlin. I am not sure this guy has a personality though. Plus too Tomlin didn't build a team he took a team that was built and got them a title. We clearly aren't the Steelers.

3- Ron Rivera- This guy is a defensive guru and is a real fiery personality. My biggest fear with this guy is that he will be Gregg Williams part two (I mean the guy has been one of the top candidates for a lot of jobs and they always seem to pass him up for some reason).

4- Mike Leach- I guess I am buying into the hype of some here on the board but the guy has had a lot of success at the college level. He is regarded as a good offensive mind and is a fiery personality. Biggest fear is that he is Steve Spurrier part 2.

These guys would be at the top of my list for coordinator/college candidates. I still want a guy like Gruden though but its Ralph and if he is going to hire a coordinator hire the right one you know a guy that other teams actually want.