A Few Thoughts About The Game

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with special teams is BA is working with too many new players, particually after all the injuries. That's one of the things I've read and heard over the years. Speical teams these days is much harder to be good as there's too much roster turnover from year to year. Last years special team players either left to get a shot at a starting job with another team, or they are now your own starters replacing someone else who left. Even though that kept happening to the Bill's every year, BA somehow seemed to overcome it. I think this year it's finally caught up to him.

In the old days, pre-free agency your special team players were around for many years, Mark Pike Steve Tasker, etc. In todays NFL how many people think Tasker would have spent his entire career in Buffalo?

Five years of dominance followed by one year of being crappy does not equal incompetence. I'm pissed about the special teams, too, but can't they just have a down year? Were the last five years just an extended fluke, and these five games are the real deal? Or did April just forget how to coach this offseason?

April and Bob Sanders are the only two members of the coaching staff that I'd really like to be retained.

McElvin is not a gadget player. When he's healthy he's a quality starting CB and a good kick return man. He made a costly turnover that cost us a game, but he's far more valuable than you're giving him credit.

Let's assume that you are correct, and you might be. He is very dangerous on kickoff returns, and in this dunb defense it is very difficult to gauge his skills as a corner.

Dumbo Jauron and company used a #11 on him, and look at the shape of our OTs, DTs and LBs. There is no excuse for such idiocy nor will there ever be. When we watch this team we are watching the results of senility, and unprecedented stupidity wrt building a football team.

Again, I was at the stadium yesterday. The winds were relentless. Passing was somewhat limited for both sides. Such is life in the elements of WNY. Yet in 4 years, these morons have drafted 200 defensive backs, signed 100 of them as ufas, and of course let our best ones leave town with no compensation. They built the team around the area of least importance. This is how our team was destroyed.

Now, we are managed by misfits and there is the smallest of bases to build on. Other than that, things are great.

The Jets used a high first on a CB and that dude is an MVP candidate. Seriously.

Never mind.

They sure did.....after they drafted D'Brick and Mangold. They already had a solid DL too.

It is going to take a complete new regime for the Bills to win as many as 5 or 6 games. Levy and Jauron sliced this franchise to ribbons.

They sure did.....after they drafted D'Brick and Mangold. They already had a solid DL too.

It is going to take a complete new regime for the Bills to win as many as 5 or 6 games. Levy and Jauron sliced this franchise to ribbons.

This franchise was sliced to ribbons well before then.... :w00t:

True....TD turned into a moron after being in town for 1 year. His first draft was decent, and that's all she wrote.

I agree...I am sick of the wheels just spinning...It's as if we have progressed since then...new players, coaches and schemes, same results...the common denominators are our talent evaluators...After TD a real GM should have been brought in...I can agree with Ralph's decision to mend the fences and not be too willing to give the keys away after TD, but after Marv a real GM should have been brought in...

The problem with special teams is BA is working with too many new players, particually after all the injuries. That's one of the things I've read and heard over the years. Speical teams these days is much harder to be good as there's too much roster turnover from year to year. Last years special team players either left to get a shot at a starting job with another team, or they are now your own starters replacing someone else who left. Even though that kept happening to the Bill's every year, BA somehow seemed to overcome it. I think this year it's finally caught up to him.

In the old days, pre-free agency your special team players were around for many years, Mark Pike Steve Tasker, etc. In todays NFL how many people think Tasker would have spent his entire career in Buffalo?

Do you remember the ST unit which took the field in 07 and went out the door in 08? Guys like Haggan (who admittedly was suspended and not re-signed) along with Coy Wire and Josh Stamer. April did well with last year's ST'ers, but this year he doesn't have the guys. Guys like Nic Harris just aren't all that great, at least not yet.

I'm tired of excuses. Wendling, although not capable of being a defensive starter, is pretty good. As is Justin Jenkins and Corto. McIntyre made a nice tackle as well.

Of course they had to suck to get Ferguson and Mangold the same year and they still punted their coaching staff the following season. They did spend the FA coin on Faneca but the right side of the line is basically cast offs. Going into last season there were more than whispers that Ferguson was turning out to be a bust.

I wouldn't say the current 34 DLine is anything special (Jenkins is a good player but has moved around for a reason and the DEs Ellis/Douglas were thought of so highly Mangenius took Gholston who has been converted to OLB).

I don't disagree with that at all. This F.O./Staff would have made the '70s Steelers into well, the 2000s BILLS.

Of course they had to suck to get Ferguson and Mangold the same year and they still punted their coaching staff the following season. They did spend the FA coin on Faneca but the right side of the line is basically cast offs. Going into last season there were more than whispers that Ferguson was turning out to be a bust.

ESPN crew mentioned tonight that it was the 20th straight game the Jets starting O-line has played together. The Bills...oh you get it. !@#$ing pathetic.

I wouldn't say the current 34 DLine is anything special (Jenkins is a good player but has moved around for a reason and the DEs Ellis/Douglas were thought of so highly Mangenius took Gholston who has been converted to OLB).

I don't disagree with that at all. This F.O./Staff would have made the '70s Steelers into well, the 2000s BILLS.

Ellis is actually a very good, stout player. He makes plays.

I missed this comment but just wrote almost the same thing, guessing that an entire new and excellent regime would struggle to get 6 wins out of this team.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...t&p=1596618

Disagree about Jenkins. I think that he is one of the best players in the NFL but his body doesn't seem to last a full season. As for drafting Gholston, the mindset was right imo. Bruce, Kelly and Thurman got old at the same time. While they were aging, we drafted cornerbacks instead of looking toward their replacements.

Our idiocy didn't just start. It is ongoing, and now the fans are paying the price in spades.

Disagree about Jenkins. I think that he is one of the best players in the NFL but his body doesn't seem to last a full season.

I said he's a good player but he moves around for a reason (substance abuser, etc).

As for drafting Gholston, the mindset was right imo. Bruce, Kelly and Thurman got old at the same time. While they were aging, we drafted cornerbacks instead of looking toward their replacements.

Our idiocy didn't just start. It is ongoing, and now the fans are paying the price in spades.

Teams don't replace HoFers. Doesn't happen. I'm not excusing the BILLS for the last 11 seasons in any way but what happened during that era has only happened a handful of times in NFL history. You're not going to catch that kind of lightening in a bottle twice.

Of course, the likelihood would increase greatly with real football people in place but we all know that's not going to happen.

Disagree about Jenkins. I think that he is one of the best players in the NFL but his body doesn't seem to last a full season. As for drafting Gholston, the mindset was right imo. Bruce, Kelly and Thurman got old at the same time. While they were aging, we drafted cornerbacks instead of looking toward their replacements.

Have to disagree with that:

Jim -- Todd Collins, 1995 round 2

Andre -- Eric Moulds, 1996 round 1, Peerless Price 1999 round 2

Thurman -- Antowain Smith, 1997 round 1

Bruce -- Marcellus Wiley, 1997 round 2

They did try to replace them, with admittedly mixed success. Other than that minor quibble, great seeing you guys yesterday. I only wish the team had given you a game worth watching ...