A Few Thoughts About The Game

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill What are your thoughts on Jairus Byrd? He impressed me, though it was against the Browns. He plays with a lot of emotion and energy, he flies around the field (I thought he was all over the place), and he hits really hard. I wasn't a big fan of this pick at first, but he looks like a serious player.

Bill What are your thoughts on Jairus Byrd? He impressed me, though it was against the Browns. He plays with a lot of emotion and energy, he flies around the field (I thought he was all over the place), and he hits really hard. I wasn't a big fan of this pick at first, but he looks like a serious player.

He looked good, but your misgivings about the pick were correct. Next year, Schobel will be a year older and who knows about Maybin? Stroud will be a year older too and out linebacker unit scares me. Poz is a player, but we must wonder if his body can withstand the NFL.

Again, the team that picked AFTER we took Byrd got a first round pick from Carolina in2010 for giving up that pick in a trade. We need that more than we need another defensive back.

Do you remember the ST unit which took the field in 07 and went out the door in 08? Guys like Haggan (who admittedly was suspended and not re-signed) along with Coy Wire and Josh Stamer. April did well with last year's ST'ers, but this year he doesn't have the guys. Guys like Nic Harris just aren't all that great, at least not yet.

I'm tired of excuses. Wendling, although not capable of being a defensive starter, is pretty good. As is Justin Jenkins and Corto. McIntyre made a nice tackle as well.

Nobody talks about it, but the elimination of the wedge on kickoffs has also had a big effect on us, IMHO.

Have to disagree with that:

Jim -- Todd Collins, 1995 round 2

Andre -- Eric Moulds, 1996 round 1, Peerless Price 1999 round 2

Thurman -- Antowain Smith, 1997 round 1

Bruce -- Marcellus Wiley, 1997 round 2

They did try to replace them, with admittedly mixed success. Other than that minor quibble, great seeing you guys yesterday. I only wish the team had given you a game worth watching ...

Thanks for this Lori, and likewise. And dialogue like this makes me feel like we are still at RWS having a good time.

As always, your point is well taken, but I do have something to toss out there in terms of furthering the discussion.....NOT making a definitive statement.

First, I didn't really mention Andre, but let's start there:

>>>>>Andre -- Eric Moulds, 1996 round 1, Peerless Price 1999 round 2<<<<<

Andre was born in 1964, which means that they took Moulds when he was 32, and Price when he was 35. Moulds was a great pick and TD sure got his moneys worth of Price with that trade (although he squandered the 1st round pick he got in return). I have no quarrel with their attempts to replace Andre.

>>>>>Jim -- Todd Collins, 1995 round 2<<<<

Jim was born in 1960, so he was 35 when they drafted TC. Much of the time before this they did have Reich, so I can understand their reluctance to use a prime selection on another qb. That said, at 35, Jim was a bit beaten up. I give them a hesitant pass.

>>>>>Thurman -- Antowain Smith, 1997 round 1<<<<<

This one, you tell me. Thurman was born in 1966, so he was 31 when we took Smith, and put him behind a horrible OL. Running backs as we know tend to have a short shelf life. Imo they could have planned this better.

Bruce -- Marcellus Wiley, 1997 round 2

This is a tough one, only because Bruce was impossible to replace imo. Bruce was 34 when they drafted Wiley in round 2. He was still great, and is certainly one of the best ever. I am still of the opinion that they should have put more resources than they did into finding someone who could excel at this important position, which is extremely hard to fill under any conditions.

So, in 1991, our 4 biggest stars ranged in age from 25 (Thurman) to 31 (Kelly). From 1991 to 1994, they used 3 of their 4 first round picks on defensive backs. In 1994, they ranged from 28 - 34. Once again, I think that many of us (PLEASE......NOT YOU lol) forget where we play. I was windburned after the game Sunday and it was only early October. Buffalo is not the greatest climate for passing. I contend that as long as Levy has been connected to this team, too much emphasis has been placed on the secondary, despite the limitations that the weather places on the passing game.

When he hired Jauron (and a shared philosophy is probably WHY he hired Jauron). it just got that much worse. This imo is why we are seeing the house fall down.

:thumbsup: Even at that, Bruce was 40, no? ;)

40, yes. And already in Washington -- they drafted Flowers out of sheer panic to fill the hole created by his release.

Which takes us back to the point about letting guys like Pat Williams walk, then frantically scrambling (McCargo?) for their replacements instead of using the draft as any kind of a long-term plan ... you know, like SUCCESSFUL franchises do. I know we're in complete agreement on that.

Which takes us back to the point about letting guys like Pat Williams walk, then frantically scrambling (McCargo?) for their replacements instead of using the draft as any kind of a long-term plan ... you know, like SUCCESSFUL franchises do. I know we're in complete agreement on that.

After all these years, sometimes the way we screw up is still hard to believe. Lori, what players would you include if asked to list the foundation of this team? I would go with Stroud, Wood and Levitre and Schobel at this point, and 2 of the 4 are getting old.

Poz might be too brittle. Hangartner? Maybe. Maybin? Who knows. Whitner? Come on now, besides, he will be out the door. Byrd? Too early to say. Mitchell? He is good but not my idea of a "foundation" player. McKelvin? Maybe, but I don't think so. Will he ever be as good as Nate? That would be great, but I sincerely doubt it. Evans? Maybe, but that's a reach imo. Trent? He is probably going to get hurt, and is probably finished in any event. Lynch? 1 more incident and he's toast.

Sad, scary stuff. :thumbsup: