Holmgren Coming Back

LABills08

When Holmgren was in Seattle, he drafted guys with very questionable character, including alleged rapist Jerramy Stevens in the 1st round. I would hope he learned not top draft these types, but unless he has, I wouldn't want him here if he has a large say on players to draft & sign.

Hopefully, in our case, all of it. :lol:

Heh...personally I've seen a lot to like with Brandon running the show and the rehiring of Nix. The Bills are getting some good talent in and later round picks are even showing they have the talent to play. I think if Mike would/could work with the FO things would be even better rather than blowing it up.

ESPN Sunday Countdown says he is definitely coming back next year. He would be a good fit if Ralph figures out that coaches in this decade demand to be paid more than coaches 25 years ago.

you think Ralph is going to pay anything close what it would take to get a guy like Holmgren on top of what he will still have to pay Jauron assuming he fires him? never going to happen

Hopefully, in our case, all of it. :lol:

(EDIT: But) Russ Brandon knows exactly what he's doing, and Ralph never interferes with football decisions. :(

No one can assume DJ is going anywhere, not matter how poorly the team finishes in 2009. And even if he is mercifully kicked to the curb, why would anyone think he'll be replaced with a name coach? I could see RW hiring April, because he'll come at a fraction of the price Holmgren, Gruden, Cowher, or anyone with a good track record will demand.

RW his hired one name coach since the merger, and that was when he was a young 60 back in 1978. He isn't spending 5M+ on a coach at 91. No way.

My first and second reactions to this theory interested me.

My first thought was that I doubted Holmgren would be an adequate leader in the NFL as a GM.

My second thought was that even if this is true, this would be so much better than what we have right now.

My answer to these contradictory thoughts?

Git er done Mr. Ralph!

If Holmgren comes it would only work if it was a sign that the actual rate limiting factor for the Bills was getting out of the way in terms of football decisions and was turning things over to Holmgren in the hopes he would pull a Polian. This was the past recipe for success, until Mr. Ralph got in the way and pulled demonstrable boners like:

1. Firing Polian (apparently over some slight by Polian to a member of Mr. Ralph's family though I do not know the detail fer sure)

2. Totally messing up a player assessment of how much career Kelly had left when he made the handshake deal only he could make to reward Jimbo in his next contract which never happened.

3. Regardless of who started it developing a toxic relationship with Butler that left the Bills twisting in the wind when he shipped off to SD.

4. Hiring TD out of desperation but then totally failing to manage this employee who bruised by getting run out of town in Pitts proceeded to make a bunch of stupid football decisions seemingly based on making sure he was never again fired by an HC he hired (mission accomplished as neither GW or MM pulled a Cowher on him but he got canned anyway as he forgot that little thing of hiring an HC capable of delivering a winner.

These and other adventures (likely the decision to start RJ in the last playoff game we played) were all Mr. Ralph doings.

As great as the praise is Mr. Ralph really does deserve for keeping the team in this small market while there was big bucks to be made elsewhere, an honest assessment recognizes he is the lead cause of our current situation and not Brandon and not today's favorite deserved whipping boy Jauron (he is consistently mediocre as demonstrated by an astonishing three straight 7-9 seasons and easily deserves canning, but like it or not he only gets responsibility for a third of our 0 for a decade playoff streak and the extreme likelihood is that if you can Jauron and replace him with MM. GW. TD, a great but declining Marv you get the same result.

Holmgren as a past SB winning HC and trained with the experience of meesing up in SEA MIGHT be an answer if he gets total control over things as TD had and then uses his positive and negative experiences to forge a winner.

One can only hope.

If he does come here, I hope he leaves the West Coast offense behind. I get tired of hearing how it takes a QB 3 years to learn the system completely...

Not to mention it features 3 to 7 yard pass plays to the backs and TEs.

But wait - maybe we're closer than you think.

ESPN Sunday Countdown says he is definitely coming back next year. He would be a good fit if Ralph figures out that coaches in this decade demand to be paid more than coaches 25 years ago.

Why would any coach with experience want to come to Buffalo to be mindlessly bashed by Bills fans and press?

Yeah, heard that on ESPN.

Thing is, someone actually has to want to HIRE him for him to come

back next year.

Please bring him in this week...