Captain Checkdown

Guest dog14787
The four-game stretch that turned the season:

@MIA - Butler, Schobel, Youboty out, DiGiorgio to IR, McGee gimpy. Preston in for Fowler, Scott for Simpson, coach's decision.

NYJ - Butler, McCargo, Reed, Schobel, Youboty out.

@NE - Butler, Reed, Schobel, Whitner out, Youboty to IR. Corner and McKelvin started with McGee and Greer (Bills opened in dime), Wilson in for Whitner.

CLE - Butler and Whitner back. Reed and Schobel out. Everyone else played.

The NE game was the worst, with four starters sidelined. They're down more than that right now. Not that I'm trying to make it a major issue, but I'll still disagree about a "ridiculous" amount of injuries. Unfortunately, that's part of the game, and something every team has to deal with.

Lets not forget the most important injury, the concussion Trent Edwards suffered that clearly effected his play in the second half of the season. I think its fair to say injuries played a big role in another 7-9 season in my opinion.

Of course its easier to just blame Captain Checkdown for poor play.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Buffalo. Blame the QB... nobody will ever be as good as Jim Kelly who was in his first four years...

1989 9-7-0

1988 12-4-0

1987 7-8-0

1986 4-12-0

If he was playing right now, some people would have traded him for Brady Quinn or benched him for Fitz.

Lets not forget the most important injury, the concussion Trent Edwards suffered that clearly effected his play in the second half of the season. I think its fair to say injuries played a big role in another 7-9 season in my opinion.

Schobel's injury, yes. The rest of the players on my list? Other than Whitner, they probably don't start for most of the other teams in the league. That goes for the Bills' OTs today, too: does it really matter who's on which side?

Schobel's injury, yes. The rest of the players on my list? Other than Whitner, they probably don't start for most of the other teams in the league. That goes for the Bills' OTs today, too: does it really matter who's on which side?

The Bills' two starting OTs today might not even be on any other team's roster.

Oh yes, the "concussion card".

We will just ignore the 2-3 good games he had AFTER suffering the concussion.

However, for the sake of argument, let's run with the whole concussion thing.

NOTE: And before anybody gets their panties in a bunch, I am not saying or wishing Trent will suffer another concussion.

If Edwards was truly still suffering from the concussion weeks (and months) later, then Edwards needs to reevaluate what he wants out of life.

Concussions, and the effects they have, get worse, not better, with each one.

What will happen with the next one he suffers? Can we expect 2 seasons of questionable play or just a bunch of games? Either way, knowing his play will regress for a period of time, should the Bills continue to start him? Would that be fair to him or his teammates? Do we really want another Trent Green?

I agree the concussion did have a lasting impact. That hit has made him "afraid" of getting clocked again.

Why do we have the only player in the league to be affected by a concussion for 2 months? What's also most confusing about his concussion is how those affects seemed to disappear the first week back against the Chargers, but then showed up for the next 3 weeks against 3-4 AFC East defenses. Maybe the concussion only affected the part of his brain that processes 3-4 defensive schemes?

Bottom line for me, Trent becomes the leader of this team and the QB of the future when he finally begins to take the games by the balls and says we're goning to scored regardless of what the defense does.

It's Buffalo. Blame the QB... nobody will ever be as good as Jim Kelly who was in his first four years...

1989 9-7-0

1988 12-4-0

1987 7-8-0

1986 4-12-0

If he was playing right now, some people would have traded him for Brady Quinn or benched him for Fitz.

You just know they would have been screaming about the INTs and wanting to know why he refused to check down to the open outlet receiver. :lol:

Guest dog14787
Oh yes, the "concussion card".

We will just ignore the 2-3 good games he had AFTER suffering the concussion.

However, for the sake of argument, let's run with the whole concussion thing.

NOTE: And before anybody gets their panties in a bunch, I am not saying or wishing Trent will suffer another concussion.

If Edwards was truly still suffering from the concussion weeks (and months) later, then Edwards needs to reevaluate what he wants out of life.

Concussions, and the effects they have, get worse, not better, with each one.

What will happen with the next one he suffers? Can we expect 2 seasons of questionable play or just a bunch of games? Either way, knowing his play will regress for a period of time, should the Bills continue to start him? Would that be fair to him or his teammates? Do we really want another Trent Green?

I agree the concussion did have a lasting impact. That hit has made him "afraid" of getting clocked again.

I believe Trent Edwards suffered a second concussion last season , but that's pure speculation on my part because TE shook it off and continued playing.

TE shows zero signs of it so far this season and for someone afraid to get hit, TE sure seems to be getting clocked enough.

I believe Trent Edwards suffered a second concussion last season , but that's pure speculation on my part because TE shook it off and continued playing.

TE shows zero signs of it so far this season and for someone afraid to get hit, TE sure seems to be getting clocked enough.

It was probably the groin concussion he suffered when he hurt his shoulder shaving. :lol:

So now we're making up phantom concussions to explain away Trent's poor play? Nice.

Wow. You are in deep. So, when did this "second" concussion supposedly happen? What game?

Does Trent and the Bills even know he suffered a "second" one?

Guest dog14787
Wow. You are in deep. So, when did this "second" concussion supposedly happen? What game?

Does Trent and the Bills even know he suffered a "second" one?

I don't remember the game and I'm not wasting my time, but it was discussed on this forum last season and I wasn't the only one that remembered TE's head going down hard on the turf.( I want to say it was against the Jets)

Do you honestly think Jim Kelly let folks aware of every time he might have suffered a concussion because if you do your kidding yourself.

I don't remember the game and I'm not wasting my time, but it was discussed on this forum last season and I wasn't the only one that remembered TE's head going down hard on the turf.( I want to say it was against the Jets)

Do you honestly think Jim Kelly let folks aware of every time he might have suffered a concussion because if you do your kidding yourself.

Trent is SUPPOSED to be SMARTER than Kelly & MOST other QB's in the league. It would be EXTREMELY STUPID to hide a concussion. That could affect a person for the rest of his life.

Every time a players head hits the turf "hard" does not automatically mean "he got a concussion".

As for it being discussed last year on this forum, I must have missed it.

Or maybe it was just discussed amongst the fans of Trent

1. If Trent is suffering concussions that easily, it's time for him to rethink his career choice.

2. Stop trying to compare Edwards to Kelly. At this point in time, Edwards ability to be a viable starting NFL QB has yet to be proven. In comparison, it was evident Kelly was an NFL QB by his 2nd year.

the pick last week on a throw to TO was a slant, however, we had just run two slants to Evans and the Saints were looking for it which is why Greer sat on the route. Its also what they faked when TO was open on that long one, they took advantage of the DB playing the slant and blew by him. Terrible pass though.

Exactly the TO pick was right on the money, it hit his pads and flew up in the air. The TO deep pass on the sidelines is what I said, they are hard passes to make.

Why do we have the only player in the league to be affected by a concussion for 2 months? What's also most confusing about his concussion is how those affects seemed to disappear the first week back against the Chargers, but then showed up for the next 3 weeks against 3-4 AFC East defenses. Maybe the concussion only affected the part of his brain that processes 3-4 defensive schemes?

Bottom line for me, Trent becomes the leader of this team and the QB of the future when he finally begins to take the games by the balls and says we're goning to scored regardless of what the defense does.

Perhaps it's time for America to step up its research efforts to find a cure for this "3-4 concussion". Its debilitating effects will cause suffering for more and more people as the 3-4 defense grows in popularity around the NFL, so I don't think you should joke about it.

Hmmm...his first game back against SD was one of his good games last season, so funny how that concucssion thing comes and goes huh? LMAO at the concussion theory...

If you have never had a concussion then you probably shouldnt talk about it. I got one my junior year in college lighting up a TE over the middle and I missed one game and there were no lingering effects. Trent also said he had no lingering effects, but I realize its the only excuse left you can hang your hat on so I see why you last few still use it...

Make no mistake, the concussion itself had nothing to do with his play, maybe his fear of another did, but as far as his head goes, he was fine.