Show Edwards film of Owens and Evans WIDE OPEN downfield

Got_Wood

I've watched Evans and Owens run down field and get open TIME after TIME. Talk to anyone else who has been at games and they will tell you that these guys are getting open and Edwards does not see them. Edwards continuously opts for the shorter routes underneath to Reed, Jackson, Schouman (now gone for year), and Fine. I have serious doubts that Edwards can ACTUALLY SEE DOWN FIELD. Either he has terrible vision or he isn't a playmaker.

He isn't hitting Owens when he needs to. For example: instead of hitting Owens on his out pattern when he came out of his break, he threw it late and too far outside for TO to make a play out of it. He needs to throw immediately when Owens makes the cut.

Evans routes where he caught it were all short routes. Nothing to stretch the field. Once again, no seams, fades, posts, post corners, etc. Fastest guy on the field and no looks deep.

My challenge to the coaches: ram it down Edwards throat. Show him film of Evans and Owens open. Come game time force him to throw those intermediate and deep routes 15-20 times against Miami. I don't care if he throws 6 interceptions. He has to prove that he can see these MILLION DOLLAR RECEIVERS down field. If he can't, he's not an NFL QB.

I've watched Evans and Owens run down field and get open TIME after TIME. Talk to anyone else who has been at games and they will tell you that these guys are getting open and Edwards does not see them. Edwards continuously opts for the shorter routes underneath to Reed, Jackson, Schouman (now gone for year), and Fine. I have serious doubts that Edwards can ACTUALLY SEE DOWN FIELD. Either he has terrible vision or he isn't a playmaker.

He isn't hitting Owens when he needs to. For example: instead of hitting Owens on his out pattern when he came out of his break, he threw it late and too far outside for TO to make a play out of it. He needs to throw immediately when Owens makes the cut.

Evans routes where he caught it were all short routes. Nothing to stretch the field. Once again, no seams, fades, posts, post corners, etc. Fastest guy on the field and no looks deep.

My challenge to the coaches: ram it down Edwards throat. Show him film of Evans and Owens open. Come game time force him to throw those intermediate and deep routes 15-20 times against Miami. I don't care if he throws 6 interceptions. He has to prove that he can see these MILLION DOLLAR RECEIVERS down field. If he can't, he's not an NFL QB.

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!!

I would be fine with him throwing interceptions by being aggressive. Jim Kelly threw 4 in one half one Monday night and still won the game.

Didn't Romo do that against us in that Monday night game? Actually I think he had FIVE interceptions that game. But they kept coming back at us with aggressive football. And we all know what happened that game...

I'm not saying that Edwards doesn't need to go downfield more often but the guy does need more than two seconds to at least figure out where the WR's are. On some of the plays from shotgun yesterday the pass rush got to him as soon as the snap. It would help and Hangartner would stop rolling him the ball.

I think the entire team needs to make him understand that it's ok to throw a pick. He's trying to protect the ball but you need to chuck it deep to get the DB's off the line. It also sets up more stuff underneath if you go long early.

The bad/good news is that you'll all get to see a different QB in this system. The way the line is playing right now there's no way he'll survive the season.

I said this in another post today, but where are the intermediate routes? Have you seen one of our receivers run a 15-yard post, or deep out? It's either a dump down, curl, or the occasional bomb.

I said this in another post today, but where are the intermediate routes? Have you seen one of our receivers run a 15-yard post, or deep out? It's either a dump down, curl, or the occasional bomb.

WHERE ARE THE SLANTS?!?!? Notice I said SLANTS as in plural. Trying ONE yesterday for the first time this season goes to show you how poor our entire offense really is.

I agree. They have been open on some of those routes in games, but Edwards hasn't found them.

Here is one issue I had with a particular play I saw yesterday: We had Owens wide right, Fine lined up on the right, Evans wide left, and Reed in the slot on the left side. When the ball is snapped Owens and Evans just run straight up the field both half speed as if they're supposed to just run the corners out of the play, Reed runs a 7 yard dig across the middle and Fine runs a 7 yard out. Problem with this play: Reed and Fine ran to the SAME EXACT SPOT ON THE FIELD and the defenders were crowded around them. Edwards didn't even have another option on the play because Owens and Evans were just jogging down field. Seriously. This was the worst play design that I have ever seen. And it wasn't the only one. If these are the plays they're drawing up for these guys, we've got bigger problems than Edwards not finding them.

I agree. They have been open on some of those routes in games, but Edwards hasn't found them.

Here is one issue I had with a particular play I saw yesterday: We had Owens wide right Fine lined up on the right, Evans wide left, Reed in the slot on the left side. When the ball is snapped Owens and Evans just run straight up the field both half speed as if they're supposed to just run the corners out of the play, Reed runs a 7 yard dig across the middle and Fine runs a 7 yard out. Problem with this play: Reed and Fine ran to the SAME EXACT SPOT ON THE FIELD and the defenders were crowded around them. Edwards didn't even have another option on the play because Owens and Evans were just jogging down field. Seriously. This was the worst play design that I have ever seen. And it wasn't the only one. If these are the plays they're drawing up for these guys, we've got bigger problems than Edwards not finding them.

Based on your description, I'm going to assume Fine blew his route.

Here is one issue I had with a particular play I saw yesterday: We had Owens wide right, Fine lined up on the right, Evans wide left, and Reed in the slot on the left side. When the ball is snapped Owens and Evans just run straight up the field both half speed as if they're supposed to just run the corners out of the play, Reed runs a 7 yard dig across the middle and Fine runs a 7 yard out. Problem with this play: Reed and Fine ran to the SAME EXACT SPOT ON THE FIELD and the defenders were crowded around them. Edwards didn't even have another option on the play because Owens and Evans were just jogging down field. Seriously. This was the worst play design that I have ever seen. And it wasn't the only one. If these are the plays they're drawing up for these guys, we've got bigger problems than Edwards not finding them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Scobey_Warner

The problem is you don't know what is coached. Most of the time receivers run options based on pre-snap reads. It's more likely that someone read the wrong key and that is what led to the confusion.

I am not saying that I know this is the case but what if Edwards is being told to work the middle of the field and underneath because Lee and TO are drawing the defenders out of that area.

I DONT agree with what we are doing by the way.....I am just not sure that Edwards is totally at fault here.

I think a lot of it has to do with the way he's coached. The playbook has consisted of a lot of Fred Jackson and our TE's so far. Once again, TO and Evans aren't here to be decoys. And it has to fall on Trent's shoulders if he can't find these guys.

From Evans after the game: “I don’t think the philosophy necessarily has to change, the way that things were going we had plenty of opportunities,” Evans said. “We just didn’t get it done. I feel like we had some opportunities and we just didn’t take advantage of them.”

I've never played football but I have to ask:

Isn't it much easier to see a wide open WR from the stands than it is to see them from behind the line of scrimmage?

:thumbsup:

Of course it is. But it's the quarterback's job to find these guys. In fact, that is Edwards #1 priority on game day: find open receivers. If he can't do it, then he has to go.

BUT, I actually have faith in Edwards. I think he is capable. But like I said, we need to start forcing the big play. I REALLY don't want to have to groom another starting quarterback in Buffalo.