Are the wagons finally circling?

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/columns/s...patriots/090925

I've been saying essentially the same things since the 07/08 SB loss by the Pats. Then I read this article and it wasn't so much the content that reinforced my belief as it was the fact that Bill Simmons, the mother of all biased journalists, actually posted what appears to be a completely objective article regarding the state of the Patriots franchise. I just felt like the way the 07 season unfolded and the failure of that team to produce a championship heralded the beginning of the end. The first game last year proved that football karma can strike even the mighty Patriots. And now the organization is in apparent disarray. Am I saying I believe the Patriots don't have a good team and won't make the playoffs? Well I'm not willing to count them or BB out just yet. However, they are unquestionably on the decline, and I won't be at all surprised if they fail to make the playoffs.

And then I look at our team, and I see many of the same ingredients that the Patriots had when they first won the SB and their dynasty was born. We have lots of youthful talent. We have a cerebral QB who makes good decisions and few mistakes. We have a talented and balanced offense and an opportunist and hard nosed defense. We have players who look hungry. Granted, as far as the evolution of a successful dynasty goes, we are still in the primordial goo era. However, we have life, and it is evolving. We have a young line that seems to be more talented that I could have ever believed possible. All of a sudden we have an evolving defense with an attitude and the ability to make plays. We have a rising star at QB. We have talent all over the field. And we are playing well. I know there are many naysayers out there, and the Bills certainly haven't done much to mitigate the pessimism in recent years. But the simple truth is that we have good players and are playing good football right now. We also have youth and every reason to expect improvement at every phase of the game. And even though some of us don't believe the onus for failed seasons should fall to DJ, I think everyone has been fairly satisfied with what they have seen this year so far.

Is it possible that I'm stuck in a hopeless pipe dream that will never see fruition? Certainly. But remember that nobody expected the 2001 Patriots to win a playoff game, much less the SB. So for the first time in a long time I feel we have a legitimate reason to hope. And remember, nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills.

I've been saying essentially the same things since the 07/08 SB loss by the Pats. Then I read this article and it wasn't so much the content that reinforced my belief as it was the fact that Bill Simmons, the mother of all biased journalists, actually posted what appears to be a completely objective article regarding the state of the Patriots franchise. I just felt like the way the 07 season unfolded and the failure of that team to produce a championship heralded the beginning of the end. The first game last year proved that football karma can strike even the mighty Patriots. And now the organization is in apparent disarray. Am I saying I believe the Patriots don't have a good team and won't make the playoffs? Well I'm not willing to count them or BB out just yet. However, they are unquestionably on the decline, and I won't be at all surprised if they fail to make the playoffs.

And then I look at our team, and I see many of the same ingredients that the Patriots had when they first won the SB and their dynasty was born. We have lots of youthful talent. We have a cerebral QB who makes good decisions and few mistakes. We have a talented and balanced offense and an opportunist and hard nosed defense. We have players who look hungry. Granted, as far as the evolution of a successful dynasty goes, we are still in the primordial goo era. However, we have life, and it is evolving. We have a young line that seems to be more talented that I could have ever believed possible. All of a sudden we have an evolving defense with an attitude and the ability to make plays. We have a rising star at QB. We have talent all over the field. And we are playing well. I know there are many naysayers out there, and the Bills certainly haven't done much to mitigate the pessimism in recent years. But the simple truth is that we have good players and are playing good football right now. We also have youth and every reason to expect improvement at every phase of the game. And even though some of us don't believe the onus for failed seasons should fall to DJ, I think everyone has been fairly satisfied with what they have seen this year so far.

Is it possible that I'm stuck in a hopeless pipe dream that will never see fruition? Certainly. But for the first time in a long time I feel we have a legitimate reason to hope. And remember, nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills.

You mean since 11 months ago, when we were 4-0?

there is a lot of reason to be hopeful by the way. The guard is changing in both the AFC East and the AFC. The juggernauts dont exist in the AFC like they used to. The balance of power seems to be shifting again to the NFC. The door will be open for the Bills and we have to see how the young guys develop here.

there is a lot of reason to be hopeful by the way. The guard is changing in both the AFC East and the AFC. The juggernauts dont exist in the AFC like they used to. The balance of power seems to be shifting again to the NFC. The door will be open for the Bills and we have to see how the young guys develop here.

:unsure:

Saints (-6) over BILLS

"Just Mail Me the 2009 MVP Trophy Right Now," by Drew Brees. Meanwhile, if you're thinking about taking Buffalo in an upset, check out this e-mail from Nick in Rochester: "Being a Bills fan is like sending your girlfriend off to be a roommate on 'Real World.' Before the season starts you have this foolish hope that she won't let you down. However, in the depths of your being, you know that a few weeks from now, you will be sitting on your couch, watching your beloved fumble away her clothes, getting touchdown after touchdown scored on her." LMAO soooooo fu-king true!

I want to believe that the Bills are on the rise but we have been teased before by this organization. I am sure if it were not for the 5-1 start last year followed by the meltdown I would be very high on this team. Right now I would park myself in the camp of skeptic with a positive bias (if that makes any sense). The Bills need to enter the back-half of the season strong, relative to their record, and healthy, relative to their roster.

I need to see Trent Edwards play strong against a couple of 3-4 defenses before I will believe he has turned it around. Bell, and the offensive line could go sour as easily as they become great. Someone on the offesnsive side of the ball has to become a forceful leader (think Kelly or Thurman) that will push to win when it seems impossible.

Many things hang in the balance with this team. Signs of improvement sure are there but we believed they were last year too.

Interesting quote from the article:

From 2007-09, only Mayo has emerged as an impact player, and only three current starters (Gostkowski, Mayo and Brandon Meriweather) came from the last four Patriots drafts (even though the team had three firsts, six seconds and five thirds over that time).

Imagine that...the Patriots* don't hit on every draft pick? Perish the thought.

I have a feeling this divison is going to be a battle for years to come now. I don't see anyone winning it for 3 or 4 straight years. I also don't think the Pats* are going to be winning it this year. It seems like they don't scare people anymore... people know they are beatable.

Is it possible that I'm stuck in a hopeless pipe dream that will never see fruition? Certainly. But remember that nobody expected the 2001 Patriots to win a playoff game, much less the SB. So for the first time in a long time I feel we have a legitimate reason to hope. And remember, nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills.

Great post :unsure: I agree with your assessment.

I've been saying for about a year now that their recent drafts have sucked, but all I got from Pats* fans was "in BB we trust" and "your team sucks and you're just jealous" when all the objective evidence showed that they have drafted horribly over the last few years. Good to see that angle getting some play.....

This is the BEST line from that article!

(Important note: My father is a charter member of this group. In fact, when I told him that I planned to write this column, he hissed things like, "it's too early," "we'll be fine," "you give up on our teams too easily," "this reminds me of when you quit on the Celtics two springs ago" and "you're an a**hole and I wish we weren't related." All solid points.)