Census worker hung in KY

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try. One thing I've learned around here is that humans have a hard time getting past their preconceived notions and prejudices. I always try to stay away from this aspect of my human nature, but I'm not always successful. I can at least admit when I'm wrong, which is better than most from what I've seen. I'm always willing to change my mind given new evidence. I'm a flip-flopper like that.

So in answer to your question - yes (and no).

On another note, I like how the politicians have associated something negative with being a flip flopper and the lemmings have added that to their daily arsenals. On the other hand, I always thought it was good to learn things and adjust

On another note, I like how the politicians have associated something negative with being a flip flopper and the lemmings have added that to their daily arsenals. On the other hand, I always thought it was good to learn things and adjust

That really pisses me off actually. It's so easy and mindless to play both sides of it. Anyone who doesn't adjust their thinking based on new evidence or information is by definition an ideologue. Anyone who criticizes others for adjusting their thinking based on new evidence or information is a !@#$ing retard.

Happing Thanksgiving, Lemmings! ;)

Did they ever do tests to actually see if the guy was willing to consider suicide. Can't they tell by doing specific autopsy tests to find out?

The police investigation is still open, and additional test results are expected in the next two to three weeks, authorities said.

Until those tests come back... I will wait... Call me a conspiracy nut. :thumbsup:

Did they ever do tests to actually see if the guy was willing to consider suicide. Can't they tell by doing specific autopsy tests to find out?

:thumbsup:

Since he's dead, I'm quite at a loss wondering how they'd do that, or what tests could be done to that purpose.

Ummm.... Phrenology?

:thumbsup:

Since he's dead, I'm quite at a loss wondering how they'd do that, or what tests could be done to that purpose.

Ummm.... Phrenology?

I mean come on, there has to be something in the patient they can tell and if it presented a suicide risk?

Does it have soomething to do with brain weight... Suicide vs. sudden death?

I happened to find this:

Brain Weight

Then there is this:

Biochemical

Conclusions

These results, directly obtained from the brain of depressed patients, reinforce the involvement of noradrenergic neurotransmission in depressive illness. They also support the relevance of cyclic adenosine monophosphate signaling pathways in the etiopathogenesis of affective disorders.

I am not sure... If I ever get a chance to talk to my friend about this... I will ask him again what they found in his sister's (suicide) case. I am almost sure they took soomething from the brain... Maybe it was part of a study??

I mean come on, there has to be something in the patient they can tell and if it presented a suicide risk?

Does it have soomething to do with brain weight... Suicide vs. sudden death?

I happened to find this:

Brain Weight

Then there is this:

Biochemical

Conclusions

These results, directly obtained from the brain of depressed patients, reinforce the involvement of noradrenergic neurotransmission in depressive illness. They also support the relevance of cyclic adenosine monophosphate signaling pathways in the etiopathogenesis of affective disorders.

I am not sure... If I ever get a chance to talk to my friend about this... I will ask him again what they found in his sister's (suicide) case. I am almost sure they took soomething from the brain... Maybe it was part of a study??

But the paper in the first link explicitly states"

The data obtained in this study suggest that there is no difference in brain weight between suicide victims and their contemporaries who die suddenly of natural causes or accidentally. This remains true whether brain weight is examined in isolation or if it is corrected to take into account the body habitus.

In short, the difference witnessed is so small as to be statistically irrelevent.

As for the second...it's important to note that the researchers first diagnosed the suicides as major depressives before the research. That is, the paper says "depressive suicides have reduced cerebral adrenergic response," not "reduced cerebral adrenergic response indicates suicide". It's a slight but critically important difference.

But the paper in the first link explicitly states"

In short, the difference witnessed is so small as to be statistically irrelevent.

As for the second...it's important to note that the researchers first diagnosed the suicides as major depressives before the research. That is, the paper says "depressive suicides have reduced cerebral adrenergic response," not "reduced cerebral adrenergic response indicates suicide". It's a slight but critically important difference.

I understand. Wouldn't it be nice if they were able to nail this down with a test. Do you think that may be possible someday?

I understand. Wouldn't it be nice if they were able to nail this down with a test. Do you think that may be possible someday?

Possibly. Probably not with any post-mortem test...but it would be interesting to see an fMRI study done on major depressive patients with a history of suicidal ideation.

Whoa, that's a really good idea. Not surprised someone like you is lauding it. But everyone else is an idiot. :thumbsup:

I didn't laud it. I have not come to a position on the matter. But if you would point out what in my sentence made you think I had taken a position one way or another, I'll be glad to revise it.

It becomes really difficult to defend my southern brethren with stuff like this:

"BBC Urges Caution for Online Shoppers" went online at the local newspaper. They meant the BBB. I posted as much. I took screenshots to prove it (cached page). So after 30 minutes, they delete my comment, pointing out the error. Another 30 minutes later they take the article offline when all that needs to be done is change one letter. Well other than pimping out the BBB. :lol:

How funny... Actually it's sad.

Every reaction you could expect from a bunch of conspiracy theorists wingers bound by party loyalty.

All this about a guy who hung himself wearing a sign that read FED --- who tried to make it look like murder so his son could get the insurance money.