Kyle Williams allowed to play more instinctively

Beerball

Link

I’ve gotten out of being so mechanical,” said Williams. “(Defensive line coach) Bob (Sanders) and (defensive coordinator) Perry (Fewell) have talked to me and said, ‘Just go.’ The past couple of years I’ve just been in my gap almost all the time, and if the play came to my gap then I’d make a bunch of plays. But now they’re freeing me up and saying, ‘Sometimes you can go and take a shot and try to make a play.’ And that’s been the difference.”

It's like a night and day difference--Williams is all over the field. He's even looked more explosive off the snap than Stroud. Seems like Sanders knows what he's doing.

Yeah, I have noticed this as well, and really feel that Kyle might just be the most underrated player

on the Bills, and maybe even of all Def. Tackles in the leauge. Love his lunchpail attitude.

That's a decent explanation of why his play has been very mediocre IMO until this season. I am really liking what I see out of Williams and didn't at all before, except of course his attitude and effort which was always there. Sometimes it really is just how these guys are coached that makes them playmakers or not. The Bills of the last decade have not at all been a team that has players playing to their strengths. This year, so far, we have seen a lot more of that. Hopefully it will continue.

Nice to see a "blue collar" Buffalo kinda player doing well. Let's hope it continues.

Kyle is definitely a blue collar kinda player. He's a high motor guy who brings his lunch pail to work every day. He's very smart and savvy, almost like a coach on the field. He makes up for his limited athletic skills with his unmatched work ethic and heart. He's kind of like a cross between Brandon Stokely, John Lynch, Brian Urlacher, and Brian Leonard. I could only imagine what kind of player he'd be if he had the pure athleticism of Marcus Stroud, Spencer Johnson, or John McCargo.

This has been a concern of mine for years with this team, back to the JP (Losman) days (please lets not turn this into a JP/Trent thread). But, it seems all too often the players are coached so tightly that they can't just line up and play. Yes, we all know they have assignments and forgetting those assignments, leaving your gaps, etc. can get you into trouble; but at the same time, sometimes you have to let your players just do what they know how to do.

Could it be that the coaching staff is finally beginning to loosen the reigns on the team?

Could it be that the coaching staff is finally beginning to loosen the reigns on the team?

Probably a combination of things. Some new voices on the coaching staff, and perhaps the players have earned the coaches' trust as well.

It would appear that both of the line coaches have made a dramatic impact on how those units are playing.

Kyle is definitely a blue collar kinda player. He's a high motor guy who brings his lunch pail to work every day. He's very smart and savvy, almost like a coach on the field. He makes up for his limited athletic skills with his unmatched work ethic and heart. He's kind of like a cross between Brandon Stokely, John Lynch, Brian Urlacher, and Brian Leonard. I could only imagine what kind of player he'd be if he had the pure athleticism of Marcus Stroud, Spencer Johnson, or John McCargo.

Lynch and Urlacher were superstars, with Lynch being a boarderline Hall of Famer and Urlacher one of the top 3 MLBs in the league. Brian Leanord is a 3rd string RB on a ****ty team. I have no idea how you came up with this comparison.

Why didn't his coaches tell him this last year?

Last year's defensive line coach: Bill Kollar

This year's defensive line coach: Bob Sanders

There were complaints about Kollar's coaching style too last year...almost as if he was the defense's version of Turk Schonert. I had read where he was very dictatorial and wasn't interested in feedback from the players. It might be that these little tweeks to our coaching staff will pay nice dividends.

Lynch and Urlacher were superstars, with Lynch being a boarderline Hall of Famer and Urlacher one of the top 3 MLBs in the league. Brian Leanord is a 3rd string RB on a ****ty team. I have no idea how you came up with this comparison.

Apparently only white guys can be blue collar, lunch pail type players. That's all I can get out berndogg's post.

You're right, he's more of an ed mccaffery, Mike ditka, Jason Sehorn, Tim Anderson hybrid

Apparently only white guys can be blue collar, lunch pail type players. That's all I can get out berndogg's post.

That was the main thing I got out of it too. I think two of the most blue collar, lunch pail type players in the league are Thomas Jones and Julius Jones. Their grandfathers and parents worked in the mines, they are known for being workout warriors, and they are extremely physical runners.

Kyle is definitely a blue collar kinda player. He's a high motor guy who brings his lunch pail to work every day. He's very smart and savvy, almost like a coach on the field. He makes up for his limited athletic skills with his unmatched work ethic and heart. He's kind of like a cross between Brandon Stokely, John Lynch, Brian Urlacher, and Brian Leonard. I could only imagine what kind of player he'd be if he had the pure athleticism of John McCargo.

LMAO whaaaat?